It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

google gives way too much info

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
just learned of a google feature. you can key in any phone # and receive the person's name and address. i have tried it on 4 unlisted numbers and it worked on all of them as well. the number can be keyed as 10 sequential digits or w/ -'s and ()'s.

couldn't they be held liable for someone who misused this info?

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mo_trot
just learned of a google feature. you can key in any phone #

couldn't they be held liable for someone who misused this info?

Do you have a link to this feature, Do you have to pay for it?

I think it would be looked at like a phone book. If you have an unlisted number I dont see how it can be put out.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
www.google.com...

just use the standard search page and enter a #

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   

www.google.com...

just use the standard search page and enter a #

Ok.. sigh.. those are numbers that are posted on the net for some reason or another. Did you put your number in? I did, nothing, We have three phone number not one was there.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
You can also get directions to the person house along with a satalite image that you can zoom on. I've found my house and my parents that way. That just isn't right.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
i entered about 15 numbers that i knew, including my own. four of which i know are are unpublished. when name and address appear, a link to mapquest is given as well. click the link and you get a map to the location.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

i entered about 15 numbers that i knew, including my own. four of which i know are are unpublished. when name and address appear, a link to mapquest is given as well. click the link and you get a map to the location.

Ok.... what ever...I must be lucky.....I sure am glad that only my numbers dont work in google.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
is this feature just for usa phone numbers, i assume so

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
this is nothing new.
you can look up numbers and do reverse lookups on numbers using the net. google just makes it easier but you can't get as much information as you want.

the reason an unlisted number might of appeared is because
the person could of moved and that is their old number, which they took off other listings allready. i find peoples old numbers all the time.

you can goto www.switchboard.com to look up people by name/state or you could goto
www.reversephonedirectory.com
to get a persons address if you know their number.. there are a lot of more ways to get peoples information but that requires you to pay.. like background checks ect

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Anyways, it is kind of an invasion of privacy. That and that whois should be outlawed.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
go into google and search

eg. inurl:gov file:xls "passwords" google can give out some sensitive info

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Its not much of an invasion if the previous owner of the number had it public and you make it unpublished. That just means that you will possibly get phone calls for someone else. I do however think you should be allowed to make your whois information private, but only if its a private persons domain, anything public like a company should have to have the information out for all.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
All whois info is public. Unless you put up some fake information when registering a domain name.

Also you can make your number unlisted from the phone book if you want. i'm not sure about how to do that but i know you can take your number off switchboard.com if you register.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
You can remove your personal information from Google's phonebook search online. Business information requests have to be done in writing. It only takes care of Google but they provide links to some other third-party lookup services.

Google Phonebook Name Removal

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This is messed up. I wouldnt want all my info available to anybody online. I mean WTF.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I looked up my number and my friends. Mine is unlisted and it didn't show up. My friends is listed and it didn't show up either. I also tried the thing one of you said to look up eg. inurl:gov file:xls "passwords" that. Nothing showed up on any.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
my number is unlisted and didn't show up. yay me! sucks for anyone else though

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
www.publicrecords.com

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Check out this link for some scary google news
(rather old now but still interesting)

GOOGLE IS SCARY!!!

top topics