It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If each of us carried a gun . . . . . . we could help to combat terrorism

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...reply to post by alupang

You'll never see a terrorist in the US in your life: count on it.

en.wikipedia.org...reply to post by alupang

www.cnn.com...

www.king5.com... g_KS.7319259f.html

www.npr.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Some could have been stopped by guns, otheres couldn't. Point is, there are, and have been terrorists and just plain crazy people causing trouble in the US.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Rememeber this.
When guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have guns.
Gun laws only hurt the honest person. They do nothing for the criminals. They are already breaking half a dozen laws so what is one more to them. Gun control means hitting your target.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

When the last time we ever heard about someone had to use his gun to defend his family from an intruder ?

We hear about family members are killing each other over any
family dispute ! children are killing their parents 4 spanking them

In order to have a gun in the house,the gun must be locked away !
In order to have a gun in the house,you must have safety lock on it !
If you received a visitor in the middle of the night,would you be able
to run to the secret place where the gun is & unlock the safety
and then face the man ? it's all about guns sales period .

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I would like to first point out that I am female, am very pro-gun, own and have proper registrations for all my guns, have a license to carry a concealed weapon, was taught by an NRA-certified instructor on how to properly shoot a gun, am really really good with aim, and have no problem protecting myself and my family. With that being said, there are many instances where if others had their weapon with them, a lot less people could have perished. Example #1: Columbine. If *someone* inside the school had a weapon, more students could have been saved. Example #2: Flight #93 on 9/11. If *someone* inside the plane had a weapon, maybe more lives on board could have been saved. Example #3: various mall/college/office shootings. Again, if *someone* had a weapon, less innocent people would have been killed by the various deranged individuals who went on a shooting spree. With that being said, I don't think me carrying my weapon is going to stop some psychopath terrorist from strapping a bomb on his chest and running into a federal building. However, I do think if more carried a weapon, there would be less "domestic" terrorism - or at least less damage caused by the loonies out there.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by themamayada

your argument is fatally flawed - for the simple reason that once the ` concerned citizens ` draw guns and start shooting - how are people further away from the incident who cannot see the person that started the massacre going to identify who is who ?????????????

all they will see is a guy shooting down the school corridor - do they shoot him - or help him ??

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

It give you an equal chance. Period.

If you don't want that chance great, but don't restrict others who do.

Peace through superior firepower.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
I am in no way opposing gun ownership, but if you think carrying a gun is going to stop "terrorism", you are silly.

If someone is willing to die for their cause, what good does a gun to you?

Making them die before they can kill a dozen people would be a plus, dont you think?

Don't people realize that when everybody would own a gun, a 'simple bar fight' always would end up with people shooting at each other?! Killings over a football score...

And this is just one example.

Weapons in general are only there to kill. Why would I want to kill?! Isn't that the task of the government of the country I live in? And of course 'terrorists'. Or should we just get rid of police and justice and all?

And yeah...I know, why would I trust my, or any for that matter, government? I really don't know...But why would I trust the weapons industry instead? Does this sound better or so!?

'Feel save again with the "Painless3000", the gun for the whole family! GET IT NOW!'

I dislike the people in America that defend 'their God given right' to own a gun: 'From my cold dead hands' and all. It is just like religion. Because it is written down somewhere it must be the truth. It must be defended with our lives, just because this 'right' was written down by some war-crazy people somewhere down the line.

I just don't get it. I hate guns used by individuals.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mark38
reply to post by pieman

When the last time we ever heard about someone had to use his gun to defend his family from an intruder ?

Every couple of minutes or so.
keepandbeararms.com...

We hear about family members are killing each other over any
family dispute ! children are killing their parents 4 spanking them

Because it fits the MSM agenda to take an instance of this every few months and report it every moment of every day for weeks. It also is a great help to the politicians who make the laws and control you at your expense.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Dumbest.Thread.Ever

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I don't think that every single person owning a weapon is a good idea, however, I think that the option should be there for law-abiding citizens who want one. Concealed weapon permits are a great solution, because most of the time you need some sort of weapon safety/knowledge training along with a background check in order to get a concealed permit.

***Another great reason for allowing the populace to carry a weapon is that it acts as a deterrent. Many crimes can be stopped without even having to use a gun. Just the simple fact that the gun is there makes many would-be criminals think twice. Speaking from personal experience in law enforcement/security, we were reminded that it is easy to record statistics about crimes that we responded to, but there is no way to measure how many crimes never happened just because there was a security presence.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Did any one of you pro-gun "I can protect myself " people watched Michael Moore's documentary about guns?? I think this makes pretty obvious that your US laws are completely false.

Why should one argue against people who just don't listen :-?

plus: personally i think your reasons are purely sexual, though you might not be aware of

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I am the only one on my block sane enough to carry a gun.

The crazy old lady across the street spends her day guarding her property from invading cats hell bent on chasing birds in her yard. She peers through her curtains with her watery eyes always on the lookout and ready to unleash a barrage of screams and lethal pokes with her broom to any cat foolish enough to attempt to sneak through her bushes.
I can' t imagine the carnage that would result if she was armed & dangerous. No....she does not need to carry a gun!

Then we have the freaky Goth kid down the street that dresses in the same black "longrider" type coat worn by the columbine killers. Looking past the dark eye shadow and black lipstick I see a lost soul who has no respect for his own life, let alone any of his neighbors. No...He does not need to carry a gun!

Then right next door to me is the drunken crackhead who thinks it is normal to scream obscenities at his wife/girlfriend and his kids till the wee hours of the morning.No...he does not need to carry a gun.

I could go on, But I hope you see my problem with arming everyone.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Good presentation, OP.

Beware those who would deprive you of the ability to defend yourself.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Have I missed something on this thread, are there people advocating dumping guns on every single american that can tie his shoes in the morning, because I was under the impression most are advocating our right to own gun's. No, of course guns should not be handed out to the goth kid or the crackhead, but I assure you if they really want one there are enough on the black market already to supply one. I can't understand what makes people think if we stop making them they will dissappear. The arguement is the right to own and more importantly carry a concealed weapon. We currently still have the right to go out and buy one at the local gun store and yet you don't see all the crazy cat ladies rushing the store's so they can shoot the trespassors on their lawns. I feel that people underestimate the general human ability to assess a situation and use rational thinking in resolving it(i.e. not killing the person for cutting you off). I've heard the crazy stories about Road Rager's shooting another, but there will always be people out there capable of homicide and they should be locked up with the rest of the murder's of the world. I remember hearing about a guy who cut another man's head off with a sword after being cut-off on the road, so even if there were no gun's you still have the problem: PEOPLE WITHOUT CONSCIOUS. If you're not already prone to be homicidal, you're gonna do everything in your power to keep from accidentally shooting an innocent person or for that matter you may find it to be quite hard to pull trigger on the maniac firing the uzi at random. Bottomline gun's aren't going to magically vanish just as A-bombs will not, so taking gun's away from sane Americans is the same as telling Iran, North Korea, Russia, etc. that we are dismantling and throwing away all our atomic weapons, please don't bomb us with yours. GET REAL.....I don't like it anymore than you, but this is the world we live in.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Only crazy psycho would think that those items are weapon, they could be self defense weapon, of course.
I think, YOU have to get real when you answer someone.

More weapons will only bring more death, it's like fighting fire by fire.

Wrong. Weapons in the hands of properly trained citizens who do not have a criminal record will bring less death, not as you say more death. And furthermore this was proven statistically early on in this thread (go back and look).

Furthermore, the idea that only guns are weapons is the psycho idea. Do you really believe that only guns are weapons and nothing else? Anybody could kill another person in 1/4 a second with a boxcutter by cutting the jugular. Again, get real. The idea of "ban all weapons" makes zero sense because anything can be used as a weapon. I really don't even want to hear your (no doubt grossly incorrect) definition of "weapon" because there is no point in debate. Any physical object can be used as a weapon.

What weapon are the protesters using in Greece as we argue? Vodka bottles!

[edit on 11-12-2008 by truthquest]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by vonholland

I am in no way opposing gun ownership, but if you think carrying a gun is going to stop "terrorism", you are silly.

If someone is willing to die for their cause, what good does a gun to you?

you can shoot them in the head, from a distance, when they expose their vest of bombs. IF they run in holding guns, you can use your gun to shoot 3 of them in the head

Have you ever handled a gun? Go ahead and try and "shoot someone in the head, from a distance, after they expose their vest". The average person, no matter how practiced they are, is not going to be able to hit that target, from a distance, with a handgun. Sorry.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oreyeon

Yeah, but you know what? If I'm armed, at least then I have a chance to survive, and a chance to stop others from being killed. That's what this is all about, letting us exercise our right and responsibility to defend ourselves and our fellow human beings. Our well being is our responsibility, not someone elses. Damn the laws the politicians make to tell you otherwise.

Still wont stop terrorism, which is the topic at hand. I never argued that you SHOULDN'T carry guns. I am simply stating the truth.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedman

And really, show me one single example in the history of the world where a true terror attack was thwarted by a citizen with a gun (or a cop with a handgun, for that matter)

2007 Salt Lake City Utah - MUSLIM killer attacked shopping mall shooting
anyone at random. Was cornered by off duty police officer and another
cop who pinned him down until SWAT team arrived to eliminate the
MUSLIM terorist...

en.wikipedia.org...

Several years back deranged ex student attacked law school at Appalchian
State University killing 3 people - was cornered by 2 students who got
their guns from their vehicles and held gunman until police arrrived

The fact that the students used their guns to subdue gunman was left off most news stories about incident - didn't fit liberal gun control view

en.wikipedia.org...

When lived in Pennsylvania - town near me passed ordinance requiring
citizens to posses gun - Franklintown PA

Because almost impossible to get concealed carry permit in New Jersey
carry old mauser rifle in trunk with ammo in stripper clips - just in case

Not one of these is an example of stopping terrorism. They are examples of being able to react to the situation. They didnt stop a thing. Try again.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by kcire

Don't people realize that when everybody would own a gun, a 'simple bar fight' always would end up with people shooting at each other?! Killings over a football score...

And this is just one example.

Don't people realize that in places where everyone actually does own a gun, bar fights are few and far between and gun violence is almost nonexistent?

I dislike the people in America that defend 'their God given right' to own a gun: 'From my cold dead hands' and all. It is just like religion. Because it is written down somewhere it must be the truth. It must be defended with our lives, just because this 'right' was written down by some war-crazy people somewhere down the line.

Well, if you're gonna make it personal, then I dislike people who tell me I don't have the right to defend myself.

Someday, somebody close to you is going to call 911 for help. The operator will tell them the police will be there in five minutes. The person attacking them will get through the door in two.

Then you'll understand.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedman

And really, show me one single example in the history of the world where a true terror attack was thwarted by a citizen with a gun (or a cop with a handgun, for that matter)

2007 Salt Lake City Utah - MUSLIM killer attacked shopping mall shooting
anyone at random. Was cornered by off duty police officer and another
cop who pinned him down until SWAT team arrived to eliminate the
MUSLIM terorist...

en.wikipedia.org...

Several years back deranged ex student attacked law school at Appalchian
State University killing 3 people - was cornered by 2 students who got
their guns from their vehicles and held gunman until police arrrived

The fact that the students used their guns to subdue gunman was left off most news stories about incident - didn't fit liberal gun control view

en.wikipedia.org...

When lived in Pennsylvania - town near me passed ordinance requiring
citizens to posses gun - Franklintown PA

Because almost impossible to get concealed carry permit in New Jersey
carry old mauser rifle in trunk with ammo in stripper clips - just in case

Not one of these is an example of stopping terrorism. They are examples of being able to react to the situation. They didnt stop a thing. Try again.

Ok, that's a true statement. It it sounds like your talking about stopping an ideal not an act of, so what's the point. Of course we can not stop an ideal with a bullet, maybe in other cases diplomacy would work, but in this one we are talking about irrational religious fanatics. What will work? Nothing can stop an ideal of this nature. So, what is the point of this thread?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join