It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If each of us carried a gun . . . . . . we could help to combat terrorism

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
If I punched you in the face and broke your nose would you think to pull your gun out in anger? What if you saw a guy beating on his girlfriend in the street, would you intervene with your gun. If you carry a gun you are more likely to use it.

Yeah, I'd shoot him in the foot and let him hobble his azz to the hospital.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufopunx
I did not read the reply I just want to say that if we stop making weapon we could stop terrorism and war at the same time.

Idiots will make one choice other will make another one, just think about it.

Your right, and I nominate you as the idiot which will go out and retrieve all the guns that have already been made. I'm sure the gangs will welcome you with open arms and a pistol at the end of each.

George Washington: "There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy."

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
do you understand that most terrorism is STATE sponsored terrorism..?? I doubt you do..

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by thefreepatriot

What does it matter who sent the psycho in to cause trouble?

It should be more than obvious we're not talking about explosives in a building or road side bombs and it's slightly disappointing so many comments have been along those lines.

"your gun wont stop a plane from slamming into your face"

Well, freaking duh Einstein. Freaking duh.

But it will slow, deter, stop a scene like VA Tech or Mumbai or even the very instances that fueled the push for the U.K. and Australia bans. Massacres happen in "gun free" zones for a reason.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I would rather have a fighting chance than wait for someone who isn't afraid to die to kill me. If they have a low regard for their own life, how do you think they value yours? Bad people will always find a way to get a gun, taking guns away from the average citizen makes them vulnerable. If everyone was packing in the U.S.A. criminals would lose their sense of power and think twice about crime if there was a possibilty the tables would turn, and their life was in danger.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by Rezwar]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
You all seem to be missing my point. I dont count on cops. I own a gun. I think anyone responsible enough should.

Your example shows exactly what carrying guns can do. It absolutely DOES NOT stop terrorism. It simply puts you in better position to respond if you are there when something happens.

Arm the whole world. You will still have terrorism, and you will still have people pulling it off.

Yeah, but you know what? If I'm armed, at least then I have a chance to survive, and a chance to stop others from being killed. That's what this is all about, letting us exercise our right and responsibility to defend ourselves and our fellow human beings. Our well being is our responsibility, not someone elses. Damn the laws the politicians make to tell you otherwise.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Excellent post!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufopunx
I did not read the reply I just want to say that if we stop making weapon we could stop terrorism and war at the same time.

Idiots will make one choice other will make another one, just think about it.

Oh, so you want to stop the manufacture of airplanes (the 9/11 weapon of choice), box cutters, kitchen knives, silverware, pencils, map compasses, scissors, and so much more. Get real.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Let's take 9/11 for an example - are you suggesting that airlines allow everyone to carry a gun onboard their planes?

Do you really think that's a feasible option?

That is a very good idea that would actually have prevented the 9/11 attacks.

Though allowing everyone to carry a gun onboard would be severely mentally retarded because you'd have a situation with 4-year olds with loaded guns, having law-abiding citizens who have never been convicted of a violent crime to all have a gun would be a fantastic security measure and would virtually assure no more 9/11 style attacks.

Yes, terrorists would have to switch to different methods. And that is what security is all about. You put a deadbolt lock on your door to make criminals use a different method. You still have criminals, but life is harder for them. That is the name of the game in security. Stopping terrorism isn't about making terrorist attacks impossible. It is about making terrorist attacks more difficult. If most people carried a firearm it would make terrorist attacks vastly more difficult. I can't even count the number of large-scale shootings that would have been stopped early on if most people carried a firearm. Remember that horrific recent attack in Canada? It wouldn't have happened if everyone was armed to the teeth.

There are widespread attacks in Iraq, but you can bet there would be many times as many victims if only the criminals and terrorists had the guns.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by truthquest]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916
your utopia does not work.

Utopia doesn't work because pepole are scared of it.

Originally posted by thefreepatriot
do you understand that most terrorism is STATE sponsored terrorism..?? I doubt you do..

I know what terrorism is, I also know there is not only al qaeida or muslmi who are terrorist, if I don't like Capitalism, by example, there is a reason

Originally posted by truthquest

Oh, so you want to stop the manufacture of airplanes (the 9/11 weapon of choice), box cutters, kitchen knives, silverware, pencils, map compasses, scissors, and so much more. Get real.

Only crazy psycho would think that those items are weapon, they could be self defense weapon, of course.
I think, YOU have to get real when you answer someone.

More weapons will only bring more death, it's like fighting fire by fire.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by ufopunx]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Cars have killed 320,000 Americans in the past eight years.

How many americans have terrorists killed in that time?

i'm more Afraid of Errorists than I am of terrorists.

While Washington DC is all busy making sure Detroit can make as many killing machine automobiles as possible, we're doing nothing about the 4 million Iraqi refugees we've created who may one day become very angry with us (or Syria will become angry with us, as 1.5 million of those refugees are there; how many displaced persons after Katrina?)

Seriously, this nation's priorities are so backwards. there's already something like 3 private guns per man woman and child in the country.

how about some education? or do our "leaders" plan on continuing to use the education system to manufacture standardized and specialized college loan indentured servants?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Carrying a concealed weapon will not stop terrorism. It may, however, save your life and the lives of others should you be involved in a violent crime type situation. I have to wonder how many of the commenters on this post have taken the time to research CCW hand gun statistics let alone take a gun safety course. You guys really need to stop and think: In a situation where you and/or your family is in danger of a violent attack, do you seriously believe the best course of action is call the police and wait? Do you let someone else take care of your medical issues, financial issues etc. You need to grow up and take care of yourself. I carry a concealed hand gun. I visit the practice range 2-3 time monthly. I am not some redneck carrying a pistol because I can. I am educated (Dr. of Pharmacy) and believe in protecting myself and my family. If any terrorist, thieves, kidnappers etc are reading this, please know that my shot is dead on at 20 yards. You come into the Mc Donalds my family and I are in and I feel ANY threat, you will not walk out alive.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
www.tulsaworld.com...

Ten years later, officials say gun-carrying citizens responsible, deterring crime.

Florida, which has issued over 1,408,907 permits in twenty one years, has revoked only 166 for a "crime after licensure involving a firearm,".

www.concealedcampus.org...

Some (but not all) states publish statistics indicating how many people acquire permits to carry concealed weapons, and their demographics. Reported permit-holders are predominantly male. For example, while over 60,000 women were licensed in Florida as of June 2007
Important Topic Updates
, 85% of permit holders were male in that state. [45] The number of permit-holders has been growing. Michigan, for example, reported more than 40,000 applications in a one year period. [46] Florida has issued over 1.2 million permits since adopting the law, and has had more than 400,000 currently-licensed permit holders as of June 2007
Important Topic Updates

Distribution by age is generally proportionate to the overall state adult population. In Florida, 26% of permit-holders are in the 21-35 age group, 36% are 36-50, 27% are 51-65, and 11% are over age 65. The numbers of permit revocations are small. North Carolina reports only 0.2% of their 263,102 holders had their license revoked in the 10 years since they have adopted the law.

Suzanna Gratia Hupp remembers reaching for a butter knife as a madman shot her parents dead at a packed cafeteria one cold October day in 1991.

"I was looking for a weapon, any weapon, because my handgun was 100 feet away, outside in my car. I made an incredibly stupid decision to follow the law, and that cost my family's lives," she says as she reflects on the massacre that ended with 24 people dead inside the Luby's Cafeteria at Killeen, a military town in Central Texas.

The personal tragedy launched her one-woman crusade to permit licensed owners to carry concealed weapons.

Suzanna Gratia Hupp survived the Kileen massacre, but her parents were killed. Her personal crusade helped pass Texas' concealed -weapons law and landed her a seat in the Texas Legislature. But she is realistic about carrying firearms. "A gun is not a guarantee, it simply changes the odds," Hupp says

www.chron.com... extra DIV
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
Suzanna Gratia Hupp remembers reaching for a butter knife as a madman shot her parents dead at a packed cafeteria one cold October day in 1991.

In her own words:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My Kimber and I agree with you. If I was in a situation where innocent people were being slaughtered, I guarantee at least two terrorists would be .45 filled. A little situational awareness and firearms training go along way.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
What I am sensing here in this discussion is not a question of if everyone had a gun that it could help prevent terrorism, but more like condoning and asking for a green light to vigilante justice.

Some posters made some excellent points, like someone hitting their girlfriend or other and some gun trigger happy person whips out the gun and just shoots. Rest assured, that person who just pulled the trigger is now up for murder charges.

The discussion is not going in the direction of the topic title at all and has drifted over into talking about what regular citizens would do if they see a criminal robbing an old lady's purse or two drunk idiots fighting in the street and one is winning over the other that its right to intervene and shoot the one who looks like the guilty instigator.

It wont work, not the way how most people these days are so on edge about anything. Everything from being cut off in traffic, to the tailgater, the snail pacer up front, the inconsiderate shopper shoving their basket into yours and knocking it over, the disgruntled parent at a kids football game cuz thier kid just got mass tackled by the other team, or the coach who runs out into the field and back hands one of the player for fumbling the ball and the kids parent runs out and starts a fight...you all get the idea.

No this isnt about fighting terrorism. It is about a bunch of society so on edge that they feel the need to have some power and feel above anyone who they "think" is in the wrong, when right off the bat, it would be you who would be in the wrong for thinking that the right to bear arms is the right to be judge, jury and executioner.

We dont need stuipd ideas like this to give the gun control lobbyists more reasons to push for taking away our guns.

Vigilante justice simply doesnt work, and it never will work.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I never advocate using a firearm unless under the letter of the law. My gun has been pulled only three times, each time an assailant was wielding a deadly weapon and trying to kill someone. If I was in a situation similar to that of the Mumbai victims, I guarantee a few terrorists would be stopped dead in their tracks. I don't see that as a vigilante mentality, more of a I am not a victim mentality.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
To argue for or against carrying a concealed weapon will not be settled here. There are folks who if they were being attacked and a gun was laying there, wouldn't have the balls to pick it up, the knowledge to make it function, nor the skill to hit anything.

You'll note that every time something goes bad in a city or region, a lot of those former critics of carrying weapons are the first ones in line at the local gun store come Monday morning.

To argue that other pending accidents and potential disaster preclude the carrying of a weapon indicates to me a foolish assumption. Yes, I can and have been spider bitten, snake bitten, been in car wrecks, on and on, but I've never been hit by lightning. Things can happen that one cannot foresee, but to go undefended is beyond stupid.

At the end of the day, we are individually responsible for our own security, and as good citizens, we are to a degree responsible for each other in the sense of being able to help defend one who may be defenseless.

For those of you who carry, if the SHTF, you'll not be found in your closet, shaking like a dog shi**ing a peach pit.

For those of you afraid of guns, we others will do our best to see you get a decent burial.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
To UFOPUNX

Utopia doesn't work because pepole are scared of it.

It doesn't work because human nature doesn't allow it to work.

I know what terrorism is, I also know there is not only al qaeida or muslmi who are terrorist, if I don't like Capitalism, by example, there is a reason

I don't like school, but I don't become a terrorist over that. Most terrorists don't just killed and blow up things because they "don't like them."

Only crazy psycho would think that those items are weapon, they could be self defense weapon, of course.

There is no way to stop the production of weapons. A human can kill you and your family with nearly anything we get our hands on, even with our bare hands. Self-defense weapons are ok now though? Really, because a self-defense weapon can be used as a "normal" weapon.

What are you trying to say?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

And really, show me one single example in the history of the world where a true terror attack was thwarted by a citizen with a gun (or a cop with a handgun, for that matter)

2007 Salt Lake City Utah - MUSLIM killer attacked shopping mall shooting
anyone at random. Was cornered by off duty police officer and another
cop who pinned him down until SWAT team arrived to eliminate the
MUSLIM terorist...

en.wikipedia.org...

Several years back deranged ex student attacked law school at Appalchian
State University killing 3 people - was cornered by 2 students who got
their guns from their vehicles and held gunman until police arrrived

The fact that the students used their guns to subdue gunman was left off most news stories about incident - didn't fit liberal gun control view

en.wikipedia.org...

When lived in Pennsylvania - town near me passed ordinance requiring
citizens to posses gun - Franklintown PA

Because almost impossible to get concealed carry permit in New Jersey
carry old mauser rifle in trunk with ammo in stripper clips - just in case

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join