It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If each of us carried a gun . . . . . . we could help to combat terrorism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I totally agree with this stance, but of course there are some other problems.

Namely the first is that arming civilians can probably only combat against terrorism where fedayun style tactics are used (ie guys with AKs open fire upon civilians).

Nonetheless, arming trustworthy civilians is the first step in combating crime and those specific cases of terrorism.

London would have been completely annihilated if the Mumbai attacks had taken place here. I mean Mumbai was an atrocity because the police were armed with WW2 relics... but our police here in London are armed with caveman relics (ie batons). Compound that with the more fragile nature of buildings in London (ie majority glass and steel as compared to the solid stone buildings in India), that could lead to a nightmare scenario where terrorists walk into central london, start shooting indiscriminately and then take maybe a tube train or a major office building hostage at multiple locations. India despatched close to 10,000 front line troops during the Mumbai events... I don't think we have anywhere near that number in total here in London

The only solution is the ultimate force multiplier... ie arming civilians.

Here's an open bet to anyone who wants it... a million pounds on Switzerland never being attacked by terrorists. Suddenly the Fedayun AKs dont seem so powerful against half a million Swiss armed with Steyr AUGs and Sig 550s.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
This discussion is rather interesting..

If everyone has a gun, then the person who wants to do the criminal / terrorist act probably knows you have a gun, and therefor will not hesitate to shoot at the first sign of danger.

It shortens the amount of events needed to make the outcome fatal.
It removes the doubt since you KNOW the first one to shoot will win, which is not the case with fists.

And those are my 2 cents.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Which would result in escalation in all its forms.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Hey I dont understand. Why is no one complaining when the Swiss government allow people to hold weapons while the opposite is happening here in America?

I dont see why there is a disparity?

Can someone enlighten me?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Honestly, I'm not scared of terrorists at all. More people die from allergies (peanut-only, too) each year than from terrorism. Many terrorists are semi-fabricated, anyways.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by hitmen

Hey I dont understand. Why is no one complaining when the Swiss government allow people to hold weapons while the opposite is happening here in America?

I dont see why there is a disparity?

Can someone enlighten me?

Why would the Swiss complain? They have incredibly low crime rates in tandem with an incredibly high arms ownership rate. Im not saying they are linked.

Personally I think that the Swiss success story is due to their demographic makeup and immigration controls... it takes upwards of 12 years to become Swiss, and you have to learn one of their main languages AND display an "affinity" for their culture (by taking classes about Swiss cuisine etc). Swiss border control is extremely efficient, and Swiss society is not accepting of illegal immigration. Thats why Switzerland is viewed as a hard target as compared to soft old England.

America on the other hand has to contend with illegal immigrants and the massive problem of inner city demographic issues. Its hard for some people to allow civilian possession of fully automatic firearms even if a minority faction of those civilians run around threatening to "pop a cap in your ass".

No offence intended to Americans; but as a whole I believe that the Swiss are more responsible and more stable as civilians of their country. That is why the majority of Swiss do not object to arms ownership.

Gun control never works and should never be imposed in any country; but the debate/ hue and cry is much greater in America simply because there is so much more criminality in America.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
If every single individual in the US, for example, carried guns, I strongly believe that lots more would die each year from gun related violence than from most terrorist attacks from the latest years combined.

And no, I am not trying to single out a country here. You can just aswell replace the US with India, for example.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by BlueEyes]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
What is it with you Americans and your perpetual hard-on for guns? Is it an inferiority complex? I will never understand Americans.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The sad thing is....the Indian authorities were tipped off ahead of time but didnt utilize the resources at their disposal to defend against an attack.

link   
[If each of us carried a gun . . . . . . we could help to combat terrorism]

What, we could storm Langley? Or just "Plaxico" ourselves while out clubbing?

You'll never see a terrorist in the US in your life: count on it. Well, other than the ones presently occupying the White House, and their minions.

link   

Originally posted by Wotan
What is it with you Americans and your perpetual hard-on for guns? Is it an inferiority complex? I will never understand Americans.

Is Richard Munday an American transplant or something?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by hitmen

Since when is our government stopping you from owning a gun? You're imagining things. A non-issue that gets boring hearing it from those free to buy a gun 7 days a week, twice on Sundays at gun shows.

And we'll support your right to do so, so relax. Take deep breathes: it helps with your aim.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

So London cops aren't armed? Tell that to the poor South American electrician they mistakenly drilled full of holes in their frantic scramble to "shoot a terrorist." Lucky they didn't hit other bus riders, the bloody fools.

Next!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by alupang

Unarmed British Cops. It's so safe there.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Read up on the Fema Coffins and There death camps.
Thats the real terror. It terrorifys me to think about the NWO and their repeats of genocide through out history.

Guns wont beat them, but 10,000 fists in the air will. 10,000 outside their offices will shut them down.

No guns in pocket needed. If they try to come in your house, then pull out the guns and Die fighting for freedom.
In the streets Non Violence can combat the Evil enemy and there insidious plots against the Family and indivigual.

Semper Fi

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Jb0311NY

How exactly to you protest your own genocide?

Passively resist? Circulate a petition? Write some hippie songs?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Indeed.

Guns will stop terrorism.

Think of all those car bombs a gun toting population could stop.

Think of all the suicide bombers a gun toting population could stop.

Think of all the roadside bombs a gun toting population could stop.

Think of a ll the dirty bombs a gun toting population could stop.

Oh thats right, it would stop none of those things.

If everyone carried a gun, terrorists would just change their tactics. Terrorism is more then just gun toting thugs.

So I recommend coming up with a new plan that does not put guns into the hands of a population that is given to reactionary decisions.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by Helmkat]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Why can't people just stop trying to project their values upon others. In a free society you have the choice to own a gun or not to. So whats the problem. It is clear that in states with concealed carry laws that violent crime is lower. And when more people get armed, there isn't mass bloodshed because the law abiding gun owners are just that. So to anti gunners, please stop using your false logic because of your own fears, and pro gunners need to stop trying to get everyone to be armed. Its a choice that the individual must make.

In any case, I'm with Robert Heinlein in that "an armed society is a polite society."

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The argument that armed citizens prevent terrorism really holds no water.

People in Iraq still own and hold a LOT of guns (just ask anyone in the military who served there) and it still doesn't prevent car bombs or similar acts. Tribal people around the world are armed to the teeth, and none of them (Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc, etc) has ever stopped terrorism from gaining a foothold.

Those who think that individuals being armed produces a safe society should read Mark Twain's accounts of living in Silver City, Nevada, when he was the ONLY man in town who did not carry a gun. He said it was very common to go out each morning (in a city of 50,000 or so) and find 2-3 dead bodies on the streets.

And it wasn't from terrorism. Just ordinary citizens with guns resolving quarrels.

If you want safety from terrorism, you beef up your intelligence and your military response units. I might carry a Glock (okay, I actually wouldn't but we could pretend that I would), but that would have absolutely no effect if I was sitting in a restaurant and six guys ran in and started machine-gunning the place... or firebombed it. The brain takes a few seconds to adjust and recognize the change in the situation and then another second or two to think to go for the gun... and in that time, the room's been hosed with bullets 2 or 3 times.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Can you expound upon that thought for the rest of us?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join