It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If each of us carried a gun . . . . . . we could help to combat terrorism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

your wish is my command

And really, show me one single example in the history of the world where a true terror attack was thwarted by a citizen with a gun (or a cop with a handgun, for that matter)

As CNN reports, a Palestinian man went on a rampage Tuesday in downtown Jerusalem, ramming a construction vehicle into cars and buses before he was shot and killed by a law abiding Israeli citizen and his firearm. Thanks to this armed citizen, this attack resulted in no deaths, unlike a similar construction vehicle attack which killed 3 people a few weeks ago. This occurred near the hotel where Senator Barack Obama was scheduled to stay Tuesday night.

www.learnaboutguns.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Isnt a psycho threatening your life just a psycho threatening your life?

To me it is... No race, creed or other problems present there. But I guess it's o.k. to cap someone with an A-Bomb in a suitcase but the local crack head, strung out for a hit, doesn''t warrent the same alarm.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

your wish is my command

And really, show me one single example in the history of the world where a true terror attack was thwarted by a citizen with a gun (or a cop with a handgun, for that matter)

As CNN reports, a Palestinian man went on a rampage Tuesday in downtown Jerusalem, ramming a construction vehicle into cars and buses before he was shot and killed by a law abiding Israeli citizen and his firearm. Thanks to this armed citizen, this attack resulted in no deaths, unlike a similar construction vehicle attack which killed 3 people a few weeks ago. This occurred near the hotel where Senator Barack Obama was scheduled to stay Tuesday night.

www.learnaboutguns.com...

Perfect example. Shooting this person stopped them, but the person still was able to rampage through traffic before it happened.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Some people will just not understand and do not have a survival instinct. It does not matter how many stats you show them, how many news story's you show them where someone was saved by a citizen with a firearm it just wont sink it.

Here is how i see it, If you want to cruse through life thinking that the police will be there in an instant when you need them and you choose to not carry a firearm than you go for it. Maybe one day ill be saving your ass and then I can say I told you so. Only then will you understand.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
Shooting this person stopped them, but the person still was able to rampage through traffic before it happened.

Imagine not bothering to amputate a gangrene leg because even though you saved the rest of the body the leg was lost anyway.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
You all seem to be missing my point. I dont count on cops. I own a gun. I think anyone responsible enough should.

Your example shows exactly what carrying guns can do. It absolutely DOES NOT stop terrorism. It simply puts you in better position to respond if you are there when something happens.

Arm the whole world. You will still have terrorism, and you will still have people pulling it off.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Perfect example. Shooting this person stopped them, but the person still was able to rampage through traffic before it happened.

Seems like your asking a gun carrier to read a person's mind. You won't know their intent until they act, or would you?

Just read your last, I got you. Your right, but it does prevent further death and damage.

[edit on 9-12-2008 by jam321]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Arm the whole world. You will still have terrorism, and you will still have people pulling it off.

Pulling it off against greater resistance which in turn means fewer victims. Fewer instances of a couple of nuts running free reign for hours shooting everyone while the cops hang back outside.

I get what you're saying but I dont see how being defenseless in a room full of defenseless people waiting for somebody to kill me hoping for somebody to save me is better than being being armed in a room of armed people all seeing a criminal bust through the front door.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Once again, I encourage you to carry a gun, if you are responsible enough. Still isnt the solution to terrorism.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I don't think Firearm carrying citizens will stop terrorism all together. But I do think it could save a life or two if a CCW holder were on the scene and acted lawfully and stopped the terrorist before the Police got there.

To quote someone from another site on the subject of CCW holders:

These people have indicated their willingness to do violence in order to protect themselves, and quite possibly to protect those around them. They don't smell funny and they don't look any different. But every single one represents the opportunity to stop a murderer in his tracks, cutting their rampage short.

But they'll smile and say hello and play with your kids safely. They aren't dangerous, because they are guardians, not predators. They are safe because their firearms handling skills are meticulous, due to experience, practice, and training. After all, it's something they do for fun. The real thing isn't fun, but similar skills apply.

The more people who take up the responsibility of bearing arms, the better off everyone will be, because there will always be more murderous psychotics... but the supply of guardians is all too limited.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
And don't forget that under the Patriot act. Pretty much any law breaker could be labeled as a terrorist. So this thread could also be broadened to pretty much any violent crime.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I agree. Terrorists want to die. However I am ALL FOR citizens carrying guns to protect themselves and family and stop crime. I applaud EVERY STORE CLERK that shoots and kills a robber. Vigilantes rule.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
From the Sunday Times:
Reason and logic shouldnt have such an uphill battle. The relative ease with which reality and truth are beaten down is horrifying.

The socalled "Terrorism" is no real threat. Bunch of loco's here and there. Lunies ecaping out of the 15th century timemachine.

Your risk to die in a car crash is bigger. Please wake up and acknowledge that we have been fooled by politicians and media.
Even IF (and that is a big if) 911 was caused by outside terrorists, the number of casualties are low compared to what happened in the wars around the world.

Do you want to stop the killing...stop wars.

Of course you could arm all americans. The tourist industry would drop dead immediatly off course, because the standard of living in the US would be that of Iraq. It would be a war zone.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Your example shows exactly what carrying guns can do. It absolutely DOES NOT stop terrorism. It simply puts you in better position to respond if you are there when something happens.

And there's some sort of problem you have with that???

It doesn't stop it, but it will lessen the impact.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I get what you're saying but I dont see how being defenseless in a room full of defenseless people waiting for somebody to kill me hoping for somebody to save me is better than being being armed in a room of armed people all seeing a criminal bust through the front door.

Sorry to interrupt, but it IS better "being defenseless etc." because I wouldn''t mind stopping/disarming a man with my empty hands in a room full of people. I WOULD mind doing that in a room full of people WITH arms. Because then I would be sure one idiot would shoot me in the back. My eyes would have to be everywhere in that situation.

People are nuts or a just an inch away from it. Don't arm them.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pjotr

Sorry to interrupt, but it IS better "being defenseless etc." because I wouldn''t mind stopping/disarming a man with my empty hands in a room full of people. I WOULD mind doing that in a room full of people WITH arms. Because then I would be sure one idiot would shoot me in the back. My eyes would have to be everywhere in that situation.

People are nuts or a just an inch away from it. Don't arm them.

Why in Gods green earth would you try to kung fu an armed man when there are other people in the room with guns who would just shoot him? Seriously read stuff before posting it.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

Why in Gods green earth would you try to kung fu an armed man when there are other people in the room with guns who would just shoot him? Seriously read stuff before posting it.

Isnt it obvious? Kung-fu is cool.

Of course you'd have to choose between running at him and dodging the bullets or walking up while distracting him with a magic trick. Is that a nickel behind your ear?

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Everyone carrying a gun is a horrible idea. In America, fear mongering and ignorance is still going strong. You add easily accessible guns to that tense environment (literally ON the people at the time) and innocent people WILL get hurt. Look at the people that are absolutely obsessed with the idea that Obama is a terrorist sleeper cell. Or the idea that anyone who's Muslim is a terrorist. These people believe it to a passion and there will be extremists in that already tensed group. Then, there's the accidental shootings by stupid people doing stupid things. Expand that to other parts of the world where life IS tougher. Somewhere violence is much more commonplace. Every argument could possibly end with a dead body. It could take the place of the normal violent reaction to throw a punch. Point and pull the trigger is a lot easier to do in a fit of rage than run over there, pick up large object, run back, beat to death. Or jump on them, throwing punch after punch, after punch. And since there's no intense physical exertion with guns, where's the real release of emotional stress going to go? Face it, we're stupid animals. We're not enlightened beings that are gods gift to the universe. We're violent, we're ignorant, we're arrogant, we're self-serving, we're selfish, and we're weak. If we weren't, we'd all be living in a Utopian paradise where no one is suffering because they lack food, water, or medical care. Instead, we have countries that are filled with people suffering and dieing starvation, while other countries are being plagued with obesity epidemics.

edit: Just had to add... I'm not anti-gun. I just think that they shouldn't be handed out like candy to the feeble minded masses. Defending yourself and your family is different than walking around like you're in a western.

[edit on 9-12-2008 by DemonicAngelZero]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DemonicAngelZero

Everyone carrying a gun is a horrible idea. In America, fear mongering and ignorance is still going strong. You add easily accessible guns to that tense environment (literally ON the people at the time) and innocent people WILL get hurt. Look at the people that are absolutely obsessed with the idea that Obama is a terrorist sleeper cell. Or the idea that anyone who's Muslim is a terrorist. These people believe it to a passion and there will be extremists in that already tensed group.

Not everybody will have a gun. You will still have those people who are afraid of guns or have no desire to carry a gun. Furthermore, those intent on evil do not need permission to carry a gun. They can obtain one anywhere, anytime to commit their horrible acts.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DemonicAngelZero

If you're talking about the sociopaths on Stormfront or those idiot kids who plotted to assassinate him while wearing white top-hats those people already have guns and surprise! They arent running through the streets indiscriminately killing homosexuals and non-whites. I'd like to think the "Pink Pistols" mentality has something to do with that though even before they got together the sociopaths werent turning the streets red.

They already have guns.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join