It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China unveil its AWACS aricraft

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Big news today. A couple of photos a what looks to be a legitimate PLAAF AWACS. The A-50I has what is described in the forums as a Chinese developed radar. The photos were said to be taken in Nanjing, where the Nanjing Electronic Technology Research Institute is located. It is said they have developed the radar. Blow-ups of the tail reveals what appears to be the China Flight Test Establishment logo.

www.china-military.org...

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by omkao]

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
That plane looks for like the one the USAF is using to have monotor stuff it has a dish on it and they can see whats flying whats on the ground military vehicles etc etc i forget the name or else i woulf provide a picture for you.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
ShadowMan ... did you mean this????

Boeing E-3 Sentry, AWACS

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
DJ,

Yes thats what i meant man i forgot the name of it thanks for the info ohh yeah your pic isnt working so i improvised and went to google
and yes doesnt it look similar too it?

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Looks like it was american built. I honestly don't see a difference, I suppose the hardware is different.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Well, China had to get the tech from someplace after capturing one about 3 - 4 years ago!

Fan

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Oh, come on u guys.
What's the problem of you?
Are we Chinese all fools only eat everyday?
Don't think everything flies in the sky is american technology.
We Chinese spent long time studing in this area. I will find myself rather stupid that believes one can do nothing out of 20-30 years research!!!

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fan
Oh, come on u guys.
We Chinese spent long time studing in this area. I will find myself rather stupid that believes one can do nothing out of 20-30 years research!!!

this is a russian MAINSTAY awacs
china cant make crap on their own

[edit on 23-6-2004 by feindflug]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fan
Oh, come on u guys.

easy, facts will be known sooner or later.
This piece of news is at least months old in China on internet.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
i know that china wanted to buy at least 4 awacs from russia (a-50i), these pictures are probably them.. because chinas purchase of phalcon awacs mounted on il-76 was stopped by america and they are still here in israel

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
It is most likely Russian AWACS that China bought. Don't be to mean to China saying they can't make stuff on their own.

True right now China is behind the West in military technology and they are buying Russian equipment to catch up. This year when the Europeans ignore the USA and begin selling military technology to China within 10 years China will almost equal the USA.

After that China's scientist will be able to prove that they can design new military technology instead of reverse engineering everyone's else's technology.

I believe within 15 to 20 years China might become more advanced than us mostly because USA Congress won't give the USA military the money to stay ahead of China's R and D.

D

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ssiebern

I believe within 15 to 20 years China might become more advanced than us mostly because USA Congress won't give the USA military the money to stay ahead of China's R and D.

Maybe a bit longer than that. But at the rate China's economy is going they will eventually be able to get together the minds and funding to r&d their own tech.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   
china, together with israel and russia, has been working on these for some time... the pictures look surprisingly like the Phalcon plane israel developed but was asked not to deliver to china at the last minute, seen sitting on the tarmac in a picture at:

Chinese Defence Today - AWACS

Also, from another link on that site:

A-50I/Phalcon (Russia/Israel)

By 1992, China had begun talks with Russia about purchasing perhaps three modified IL-76 AWACS aircraft. Later, talks involved acquisition of an Israeli radar system. Three-way negotiations that began in 1994 considered four AEW aircraft for $1 billion. In 1996 China, Russia, and Israel reached initial agreement on a $250 million deal to supply one AEW aircraft to the PLA Air Force by installing an Israeli Aircraft Industries (IAI) Phalcon phased-array radar with 360 degree coverage on a modified Russian IL-76 plane.

The Phalcon system could be similar in capability to U.S. E-3 AWACS on Boeing 707s. One source said that the Phalcon could track up to 60 targets at the same time and guide a dozen fighters in all-weather, day andnight operations, while another report credited the Phalcon as being able to track 100 targets simultaneously.

A-50U (Russia)

After the A-50I project was cancelled, Many expect Russia to complete the sale of AWACS aircraft to China, with existing A-50s from the Russian Air Force and/or, later, an advanced A-50E version (possibly costing $180-200 million each), that would bring Russia more earnings than the original deal involving Israel. The A-50U is designed to guide up to 30 aircraft and track 300 targets as far as 250 miles away.

Unconfirmed reports claimed that the PLAAF has been negotiating with the Russian on a possible deal of leasing 2~4 A-50s from the current Russian Air Force service for training and initial evaluation purposes. The Xi'an Aircraft Industry Co. (XAC) is also reportedly developing an indigenous AEW/AWACS aircraft based on the airframe of the IL-76 or Y-8 transport aircraft.

koji K.

[edit on 23-6-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   
and another thing.. the chinese most certainly do have the indiginous know-how to make one of these. hell, most of the components of US AWACS planes are probably built in china.

-koji K.

D

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Also, with some of this new Chinese tech coming out, (AWAC, J-10) they may seem crap compared to US and Russian stuff, but remember that everyone has to start somewhere and you gotta crawl before you can walk. So in a few decades China will probably catch up to the US and Russia in terms of military technology.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Hey, how can it not look the same, when our plane got scavaged at in the past.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Most AEW planes look the same. A regular transport plane with a lenticular radome on top and a fuselage packed with electronics and operators. It's the guts that tell the story. Without knowing anything about its capabilities. it's impossible to really say anything about its origins.

PS I'd wager that at on average least a third of the components in your computers running your OS and browser, enabling you to access this forum are made in China. So think twice before you call the Chinese stupid, especially since they happen to have the world's largest military.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laxpla
Well, China had to get the tech from someplace after capturing one about 3 - 4 years ago!

Ah, that was a US Navy EP-3. That is a surveillance aircraft, not necessarily a command-and-control aircraft like the one we are discussing here.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This AEW system is totally made by Chinese institution.

The carrier for this kind of AEW system is IL-76.

4 years ago,U.S forced Isreal and Russia not to give China AEW planes,so China have to design and research by itself.

Others about it are still in secret,I just know little about it.

[edit on 23-6-2004 by gastric cancer]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join