It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Sunday best...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Now, be it far from me to make any complaints or whatnot about religion, but I realized something this morning as I went to the gas station to get my daily Dr Pepper.

As I pulled up, four late teens/early twenties stepped out of their car (two guys, two girls). They all were clearly church goers; the guys wore very nice suits, the girls wearing short dresses with black nylons, hair all in place, make-up all pretty-like.

Here, then, lay my thoughts.

Why is it that women (in general), dress up more... scantly... than any other day during the week? Don't get me wrong. I love the way women look... calm down... I do drawings/paintings and carvings/sculptures as a hobby. But what was puzzling me is the fact that these same women normally go about the week with the attire and attitudes of 'don't look at me', yet, as they go to church, almost seems as if they crave the attention.

I know they were going to a catholic church... those are the only ones where I live, and they were locals, so I know the Catholics (officials) take great measures to judge by appearances. But, it just made me wonder.

In the Book of Enoch, it addresses the concerns of women not to doll themselves up, least they attract the angels again. And, I remember going to church as a young teenager, fondly looking across the room at the ladies.

So is church nothing but a place of lustfulness?

I guess it could be. Why not? Priests do some amazing things there... why can't we?

Oh well... this concludes my ramblings.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   

So is church nothing but a place of lustfulness?

That depends on how one defines "church". Lust is natural to the unconverted mind. Just because one gets all dressed up and goes to a building with a cross and some writing with the word "church" on it doesn't mean one is worshipping God.

The things you have observed are simply a fulfillment of what was written centuries ago.

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 2 Tim. 3:1-7.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Timothy
Just because one gets all dressed up and goes to a building with a cross and some writing with the word "church" on it doesn't mean one is worshipping God.

Very true, Timothy.

Some use it just for a social occasion or to look at the girls. Others go because of fear - 'what would the neighbours/family/boss think if I missed church ?' Lots of others go just because its expected from them, and to be seen as 'pius'. And then - at last - we have the real Christians. The decent people who go because they want to worship God. There are very few of those though.

And if I appear a tad cynical today, its because I've been screwed around by another 'God fearing Christian' - yet again - and I am fecking sick of it !!!

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by Pisky]

join