It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare 50 Year Arctic Blast to hit California!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Because of the chilling of the planet, lack of sunsport activity, scientist are predicting an Arctic Blast for California in the next week or two!

A White Christmas for California?????

The weather pattern has changed to a pre-1950 pattern, whatever that means, maybe one of our weather buffs could explain. I have linked the forcast maps for this upcoming event. It has been unusally cold this winter, so much for global warming!

Forecast Maps

[edit on 12/9/08 by mel1962]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I'm in So Cal and it has been very cold the last couple of days - but chilly to me means it's in the low 60's so take that for what it's worth.

I am hoping to have a white Christmas. We spend our holidays at our ranch in the mountains of Southern California and while it does snow in the area it never seems to snow until January or February. Maybe this year we'll get lucky?!

I'll let you know if we have an arctic blast!

Jemison

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Let's see - how can I, a little ATS member in a wet and cold corner of England, express my delight that California (may) be getting a bit of a chilly draft....... Without making a one line post

Oh Dear - the world really is unfair... How can this possibly happen? (second line) muhahaha

[edit on 9/12/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The big chill is coming, be afraid, be very afraid!

Source

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Just as predicted...lol

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It'll be interesting to see if snow does reach sea level.

I grew up in SoCal and the last time it snowed - and stuck, perhaps 2" - was January 10th and 11th in 1949.

My dad took 8mm movies that showed snow down to the waterline on the beaches of Ventura County and also showed the offshore islands covered with snow.

[edit on 9-12-2008 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I will start out by saying I don't live in cali.... but I do live on the west coast.. BC specifically...

I was just looking at the weather for this weekend on... holy crap it's gonna get cold... -10 c... that's insanely cold for here... alot of people will be dealing with frozen pipes as houses here aren't really made for the super cold.

so indeed, heads up cali... it's gonna get a bit nipply.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pynner
alot of people will be dealing with frozen pipes as houses here aren't really made for the super cold.

Good tip for frozen pipes - leave some of the taps just passing a bit. Moving water don't freeze unless it gets really cold.

And don't forget to make sure the plug hole is clear and nothing is gonna fall in the sink to block it.

I know it's wasted water - but ripping pipes out is expensive.

Edit: And get to know these things...

Once you have a leak you need to know how to isolate it. Maybe take a bit of time to label them if they are in obscure places - you can use a bit of 'hit and miss' by leaving the tap on and systemically closing each one... But do it one at a time and have a good strategic approach.

Remember not all valves turn the same way! When you open a valve turn it back a bit! just a quarter or half a turn. It's good practice. Then you know it's open (closed valves are always turned fully - or they are not closed).

[edit on 9/12/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Oh, man! I will have to wear real shoes instead of flip-flops! And all I OWN is shorts. Maybe I will have to buy some ankle length jeans. And a jacket. Where does one shop for jackets around here?

-- LOL -- I love living in Southern California.

Incidentally I live just 15 miles from where that F18 crashed, right by my mother-in-law's house.

It was very sad, and scary too.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
So in the next couple of days the USA is going to be hit by a devastating earthquake followed by an 'arctic blast'.
Oh well, I should be alright in England.... Although, if the *snip* hits the fan, then we're all in trouble.
Good luck on that side of the pond...

Blessings,
Samuel

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Very nice, but please get this in perspective. This is a once in a fifty year event, seen about 50 years ago, and it has come back. Wow.

Please in the discussions at least get the difference between weather and climate sorted out. This is a weather pattern and has little if anything to show about climate change. Climate is long term and global, weather is short term and regional. This weather event is not due to sunpost activity or lack thereof.

Of course if you happen to live in sunny california then I guess this will be a different experience, but I suppose if you live there long enough it should happen according to the statistics

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
So based on the maps does that also mean the Northeast will get AZ, NM , TX tempertures! Woohoo, where's my beachball and lotion.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by -HJIO-]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
it's gonna be freezing cold in the pacific northwest as well. They are forecasting snow and we don't normally get snow or even get into the 20s like they are forecasting.

I LOVE IT !!!!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Iggus

I'd give you two stars if I could. The OP is misleading in his remarks regarding the article. This is a weather pheomonena, cyclical in a 50 year pattern as stated and has nothing to do with climate at all.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mel1962
The weather pattern has changed to a pre-1950 pattern, whatever that means, maybe one of our weather buffs could explain.

Did you read the story you linked? This is taken from your source:

The type we may be dealing with will be ranked up there with the known years before 1950, which set record low daytime temperatures into the forecast region. With this, may come low elevation snow."

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Snow in Southern Cali.... Yessssssss. about damn time, I think the freeways will be a slip n' slid for our residents... should be fun...

fox.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ambushrocks
Just as predicted...lol

www.belowtopsecret.com...

You predicted:

I believe some places that have never experienced a blizzard before will see one for the first time this winter.

This is hardly a prediction as a more blanket statement can not be made.

Also, "never experienced" would disqualify the prediction as well due to the fact it is on a cyclical pattern of 50 years.

Good times ahead.

It was in the high 50's this morning where I live. Brrrrrr

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
When is the snow supposed to come? I don't want it to snow along the coast, just in the mountains of So Cal so that I can enjoy it for the holidays and I don't have to listen to my girls moan about not getting to see snow frequently enough.

As for the poster that wanted to know where to shop for jeans and jackets in So Cal - I would suggest Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom online. I think they are both still having a great sale on Juicy Couture items which are not only fashionable but functional AND warm!

Jemison

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I know time to break out the long pants and jacket I bought a year ago,never had an occasion to use it,also change my thermostat from cool to heat

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

As I sit in my office, in Downtown SD with a sweater on because I'm ALWAYS freezing. I've lived all my life in SoCal and wish I could be one of those people who wear shorts year round, but I usually have a light jacket on even in summer...I don't know if I'll survive an "arctic blast!"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join