It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top ten quotes about propaganda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Top 10 Famous Quotes About Propaganda

#10 - Jean Anouilh
"Propaganda is a soft weapon; hold it in your hands too long, and it will move about like a snake, and strike the other way."
—Jean Anouilh, L'Alouette, 1952

#09 - George Orwell
"One of the most horrible features of war is that all the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting."
—George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia, 1938

#08 - Robert A. Heinlein
"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, 'This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know,' the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything—you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him."
—Robert A. Heinlein, If This Goes On, 1940

#07 - Hannah Arendt
"Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda."
—Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

#06 - Noam Chomsky
"Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state."
—Noam Chomsky, Media Control: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda, 1997

#05 - Gore Vidal
"As societies grow decadent, the language grows decadent, too. Words are used to disguise, not to illuminate, action: You liberate a city by destroying it. Words are used to confuse, so that at election time people will solemnly vote against their own interests."
—Gore Vidal, Imperial America, 2004

#04 - Saul Bellow
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
—Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back, 1976

#03 - Charles Mackay
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
—Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, 1841

#02 - Joseph Conrad
"He who wants to persuade should put his trust not in the right argument, but in the right word. The power of sound has always been greater than the power of sense."
—Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim, 1900

#01 - Charles Darwin
"It is worthy of remark that a belief constantly inculcated during the early years of life, whilst the brain is impressible, appears to acquire almost the nature of an instinct; and the very essence of an instinct is that it is followed independently of reason."
—Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man, 1871

www.alternativereel.com...

Some great quotes about propaganda and government baloney.
Anyone know any more or agree/disagree with any of them?

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

hmmm i'm kind of surprised there aren't any by Joseph Goebbels since he was one of the more radical propagandist's, of course i guess he's a good example of what the first quote states considering it struck back at him and he was eventually killed...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Yes,lets hope one day it strikes back at various multinational news corporations too

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Also found these interesting vintage propaganda posters which are worth a look:
www.designsdelight.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

My fave propaganda quote is by Goebbels - "The purpose of propaganda is not to deceive the public, but to give them an excuse."

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I hope you don't mind, but I had to snag Orwell's quote for my signature.

So true, all of these.

I'm going to look in my notebooks for a few I've collected over the years, and I'll report back if I find anything substantial.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Here we are:

Two from Aldous Huxley:

"The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human."

“There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution.”

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Interesting quote from Goering the Nazi

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/482140a2f81c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
"The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human."

Aldous Huxley

General Eyes -I think that quote just about sums it up.

Here are some other interesting ones:

“The goal of modern propaganda is no longer to transform opinion but to arouse an active and mythical belief”
Jacques Ellul quotes

“The trouble with peace propaganda is that when it is permitted it isn't necessary, and when it's necessary it isn't permitted”
Anon

“I think there is a good reason why the propaganda system works that way. It recognizes that the public will not support the actual policies. Therefore it is important to prevent any knowledge or understanding of them.”
Noam Chomsky

"Some of mankind's most terrible misdeeds have been committed under the spell of certain magic words or phrases."
Author: James Bryant Conant

"Art is moral passion married to entertainment. Moral passion without entertainment is propaganda, and entertainment without moral passion is television."
Rita Mae Brown

"Propaganda must not serve the truth, especially insofar as it might bring out something favorable for the opponent."
Author: Adolf Hitler

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Great quote by H.L. Mencken.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56d02db25955.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/88e612bc60f0.jpg[/atsimg]

www.jordanmaxwell.com...

new topics

top topics

join