It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SUVs at altar, Detroit church prays for a bailout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

SUVs at altar, Detroit church prays for a bailout

www.reuters.com

With sport-utility vehicles at the altar and auto workers in the pews, one of Detroit's largest churches on Sunday offered up prayers for Congress to bail out the struggling auto industry.

Ellis said he and other Detroit ministers would pray and fast until Congress voted on a bailout for Detroit's embattled automakers. He urged his congregation to do the same.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Detroit Churches Pray for ‘God’s Bailout'
(you gotta be kidding me...)
www.catholicnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Detroit's mighty ask for $34B in bailout
Let Detroit Go Bankrupt
Detroit WILL be Bailed Out!

[edit on 9-12-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
HONESTLY now, do we really need to pray to our Divine Creator to save our auto industry?!! is that what God really wants - for us to save our precious automobiles so we can continue to pollute our beautiful Mother Nature?! these Illuminati schemes MUST be stopped!!!

i was insulted when i saw this yesterday on the news...
at least the cars on display in the church were hybrids...

is anyone else as disgusted as i am with the state of our religious affairs these days?
seriously, with free energy having been in existence for at least a hundred years now thanks to Tesla, why continue to use caveman technology to power our fossil fueled vehicles??

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Well if you ever needed proof god was on the take, here it is.

Then again who said god cared about poor and sick people anyway. The way it seems the auto industry got their bail out, the financial people got their bailout, and the citizens got the screw over. You all can thank god for that one, since after all he didn't help us when we need it most. he rather help the auto makers get more from us apparently.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I don't think they were praying to save the auto industry itself in this case.

This is Detroit, they depend on the auto industry for their economy. If it goes under, most of the people at that church will either be out of a job personally, or know someone who will. In reality, they are praying for God to save their towns and their city, not the auto industry itself.

At least that's what I take out of it.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

That I agree with you on for sure. But to place the cars/SUVs on the alter was sort of disgusting IMO. Doing so and then it getting to the media only makes them look as though they are more interested in the material aspect of things rather than the economic aspect of things.

I personally was against the bailout for the banks and corporations. I was also for the most part against the auto bail out if only because they are going about things the wrong way. On the other hand I see that letting them fail will cost a large number of Americans their jobs which would hurt the economy worse than just losing the companies themselves. I think if they were going to do some sort of bail out they should have invested in the public across the U.S. and let the public invest in the banks, corporations, and auto industry.

But hey what do I know I am just your average lower income middle class working guy.

Raist

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Very true.

They could have done without bringing the cars into the church. That was a little over the top.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
Well if you ever needed proof god was on the take, here it is.

Then again who said god cared about poor and sick people anyway. The way it seems the auto industry got their bail out, the financial people got their bailout, and the citizens got the screw over. You all can thank god for that one, since after all he didn't help us when we need it most. he rather help the auto makers get more from us apparently.

most american people used to be rich ,arrogant and decadent . they exploited poor countries with their strength(military,cultural imperialism)

so why should God help USA ??? rather God must Punish USA in the worst way possible

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.

[edit on 9/12/08 by Jbird]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01
most american people used to be rich ,arrogant and decadent . they exploited poor countries with their strength(military,cultural imperialism)

Yes, just like most Muslims are terrorists.

Are you really that bigoted and hateful? Or is this a joke?

so why should God help USA ??? rather God must Punish USA in the worst way possible

Congratulations.

*snip*

(apologies in advance to whichever mod reads this)

That would be me.

Please leave the personal comments out.

[edit on 9/12/08 by Jbird]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Did they 'lay hands' on the cars?

I hear rumours some may wish to 'lay hands' on the top managers, incidentally...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I don't think people realize the magnitude of chain reaction which would occur if the big three tanked- and not just Detroit's livelihood, but most of Michigan, parts of Tennessee and Florida.

The plants which would close are the tip of the iceberg. Talk about a serious ripple effect. How many jobs are there in the U.S. that play an indirect role to one of the automakers?
I have a sneaking suspicion we'd hit an even more severe depression almost instantly.

True, the vehicles in church were a bit much, but I'm beginning to wonder (with my sick sense of humor) if it was to remind people what -supposedly- American automobiles look like.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Yes, just like most Muslims are terrorists.

no, most muslims are poor due to economic exploitation by american /western imperialist aggressor nations , similiarly in Africa and Asia ,

USA is responsible for millions of death , potentially hundreds of millions , thanks to IMF financial looters and terroritsts , who destroy third world and is a financial attack dog of USA

Congratulations. You're an idiot.

call me whatever you like , but fact is fact , USA/Israel are whore of babylon and Fourth Beast , and the only nation that can stop them is Russia , as Russia has successfully resisted the exploitation by western imperiliasts thanks to Great leaders like Vladmir Putin

[edit on 9-12-2008 by sadchild01]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01
USA/Israel are whore of babylon and Fourth Beast , and the only nation that can stop them is Russia

Maybe you need to take a break from this conspiracy stuff and sit the next few plays out.

You can have this thread...I don't have time for this.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

fine, go ahead , deny facts

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I'm not denying facts my friend.

I'm denying ignorance

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

so you are denying the fact that USA is an evil empire ...

you americans voted for that fascist fuhrer Bush , who has looted and plundered Iraq and Afghanistan , and threatens Iran too and attempted a cowardly attack on south ossetia through his puppet Sakashilvili

so aren't your nation a rogue nation worser than North Korea .. USA is a threat to the existence of mankind

[edit on 9-12-2008 by sadchild01]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
is this what religion is all about these days - praying for materialistic items to further the selfishness of a country?! do these folks even realize what they're praying for anymore?? ..i get the feeling that they're just being good little sheep, doing as they're told so as not to rock the boat that is the corporate ship called America...

the wolves, however, couldn't be happier...

thanks for all the input, everyone!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
What next?

'Attend this Sunday for a chance to win a Ford!'

'Every $ over your tithe buys a 10c gas voucher.'

'Today's sermon will examine the repercussions of a blown head gasket.'

Texas 1st Church of the V8...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

seriously!

...talk about worshipping a false idol!! at least Obama and the pope, or any president/leader for that matter, are alive when the sheep worship them!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Originally posted by nyk537
I don't think they were praying to save the auto industry itself in this case.

This is Detroit, they depend on the auto industry for their economy. If it goes under, most of the people at that church will either be out of a job personally, or know someone who will. In reality, they are praying for God to save their towns and their city, not the auto industry itself.

that's pretty much exactly what a guy at work said when i mentioned this topic to him... i sort of agree, but the way i see it, is that they should be praying to God for Him to rid this world of the biggest scam of all time - the economy!!

if we really want to help humanity, free energy and Service-to-Others are what we should be praying for - the world would truly be a better place if both of those were practiced!!!

[edit on 9-12-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by adrenochrome

if we really want to help humanity, free energy and Service-to-Others are what we should be praying for - the world would truly be a better place if both of those were practiced!!!

That's the ticket. I agree. That is why 'G-d' despises anymore bailouts.

new topics

top topics

join