It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

AP Interview: Marines seek to ease strains of war

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   

AP Interview: Marines seek to ease strains of war


start.verizon.net

As the need for Marines in Iraq winds down, their top general says he would like to shift his troops to Afghanistan, perhaps in numbers small enough to allow a less punishing pace of combat tours.

Gen. James Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps, said in an Associated Press interview in his Pentagon office Monday that "there's a greater role for Marines in Afghanistan," with its increasingly deadly insurgency, than in Iraq, where the Marines' mission is mainly peacekeeping and training.

He said he has a "gut feel" that a consensus is developing among U.S. leaders to shift the focus to Afghanistan. And he said that means thousands more Marines could start heading there as early as next spring
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I personally would like to see everybody come home instead of jumping out of one charlie foxtrot and into a potentially bigger one. However, I think that this is the best scenario to bolster the troop increase that President Elect Obama wants. Most Marines are trained in mountain warfare and could prove to be a valueable asset in A-Stan since most conventional Army units are not trained in mountain warfare but General Conway who is giving the interview had mentioned of early spring for deployment and an earlier article stated that it could be very early in 2009.

As usual we will wait and see and again I hope the mission is clear and there is no underlying reason to bolster the numbers in Afghanistan.

start.verizon.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-12-2008 by cmd18B]



posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by cmd18B
 


As a US Marine myself (0311) and combat Veteran, I know the pressure and toils of war. Every brave man and woman gets a gut sinker when they have to say goodbye and deploy.

THE WARS ARE ILLEGAL

The NWO has our Govt, the world. We must fight the Info war TODAY.

Awaken others, spread truth, not here on ATS but at your deli, outside your precinct, out side your post office.

WE CAN STOP THE EVIL 1% from destroying the future of the other 99%



new topics
 
1

log in

join