It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban on tobacco displays announced

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   

The open display of tobacco in shops is to be banned in England and Wales, the government has announced.

Although this only applies for people at the moment in the United Kingdom, it could effect other countries in the world if succesfull.

But it is understood plans for an outright ban on tobacco vending machines and branding on cigarette packets have been scrapped. Ministers hope the display ban, which is also under consideration in Scotland, will reduce smoking. Northern Ireland is yet to decide a policy. Critics say the moves do not go far enough to stop young people smoking.
A government consultation on how to deter young people from smoking launched six months ago found the "overwhelming majority" of 100,000 responses backed the display ban.
Health Secretary for England Alan Johnson said he had been impressed with evidence from other countries, suggesting the move would have an impact on smoking rates.

Ministers say where other countries - such as Iceland - have removed displays, smoking prevalence among young people has fallen by up to 10%.

Alan Johnson said: "They see the point of sale display and as a result of seeing it, it encourages them to take up smoking. This is the key evidence as to why we have 200,00 11 to 15-year-olds smoking."

He said people who start smoking in their youth - aged 11 to 15 - are three times more likely to die a premature death than someone who takes up smoking at the age of 20.

They are also more likely to be hooked for life.

Deborah Arnott, director of the anti-smoking group ASH, backed the ban and said the prohibition of the display of tobacco products at point of sale would be "a proportionate response to the death and disease caused by tobacco".

The Tobacco Manufacturers' Association opposes the cigarette display ban and says it could have serious unintended consequences, such as driving the sale of illicit tobacco.

It could also damage the income of smaller shops that rely heavily on tobacco sales, said the TMA's chief executive Mr Chris Ogden.

Mr Johnson said the big supermarkets would be asked first to remove their displays.

Restricting access

He said other plans had been scrapped as a result of the consultation - such as getting rid of 10-pack cigarettes. Only selling cigarettes in packs of 20 might drive people who are trying to quit to smoke more, he said.

But Mr Johnson said they would clamp down on cigarette sales from vending machines.

But the British Heart Foundation says a total ban on vending machines is the only way to prevent children accessing cigarettes.

Vending machines are the source of cigarettes for nearly one in five young smokers aged 11 to 15 - some 46,000 children.

A British Heart Foundation spokeswoman said: "When the government announces further steps on tobacco control we expect nothing less than a robust tobacco control plan which includes a total ban on cigarette vending machines.

"We are concerned about the large number of children being able to access cigarettes without a face to face transaction."

There are a number of ways in which access to tobacco from vending machines can be limited, including making customers obtain an ID coin from a member of staff in order to operate the machine, as used in the Republic of Ireland.

The government had also considered banning all promotional material from tobacco packaging.

But ministers say until there is enough evidence such a move would actually stop young people taking up smoking it will not introduce a ban.

Smoking has caused so much trouble through out the world, share you views on this subject here!

If you have had anyone in the past die or currently realy ill due to it tell us what you think...

Could this realy stop people from smoking?

It is the users choice whether to smoke or not...

[edit on 9-12-2008 by Poet Of Deception]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I find it hard to think this doesn't affect anyone in anyway!

Is it a good thing what the government is doing?
It could potentially ruin small businesses who rely on the sale of tobacco and cigarets as their main sale.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
LMAO.

The U.K. is a riot. (When it comes to "Big Brother" laws, ie; whats good for you)

France is no better, you aren't aloud to smoke tobacco inside clubs and bars?

In the U.S.A., we are aloud to look at tobacco displays and advertisements because we are trusted enough to make our own decisions. We are also aloud to smoke tobacco inside clubs and bars, as long as we are Eighteen years of age or older.

I apologize for finding this funny.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Your laughing now but when or if it comes around to your country... If your a smoker it would be difficult. I myself do not smoke but know friends and familly find it difficult and has almost forced them to quit.

So i think at some degree it is working!

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 9-12-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Poet Of Deception

With the price of cigs in the UK, I am surprised anyone can afford to smoke. I have read that many people are buying cartons online for half the price.

My opinion is that alcohol is much worse than cigarettes.

When I was in Nigeria I found out to my amusement that it was generally ok to drink and drive (no traffic cops or breathalysers) but it was considered a major crime to smoke and drive!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by runetang

When I was in Philadelphia 2 years ago, they had just passed a law banning all smoking in clubs and bars.

So much for your freedom...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
reply to post by Poet Of Deception

With the price of cigs in the UK, I am surprised anyone can afford to smoke. I have read that many people are buying cartons online for half the price.

My opinion is that alcohol is much worse than cigarettes.

When I was in Nigeria I found out to my amusement that it was generally ok to drink and drive (no traffic cops or breathalysers) but it was considered a major crime to smoke and drive!

That is strange!

I don't think some countries or states have their priorities right! It is quite worrying that they allow drinking and driving.

Alchohol is another big issue here in britain! I find myself constantly stumbling across empty and half full beer and bottles near to where i live and around britain!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   

reply to post by runetang

When I was in Philadelphia 2 years ago, they had just passed a law banning all smoking in clubs and bars.

So much for your freedom...

As far as freedom goes, i will have to agree with you there! We are constantly being watched!

Its quite worrying that when i go out i have been tracked at least 10,000 a day on cctv and other types of camera!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Poet Of Deception
Alchohol is another big issue here in britain! I find myself constantly stumbling across empty and half full beer and bottles near to where i live and around britain!

You are right, I would also think it is a big problem if they are leaving half finished bottles of beer lying around. The youth of today - what a waste!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
anti smoking lobbies also wanted to get rid of the vending machines aswell,and also get rid of any brand name on the packets..but those didnt get through, just a matter of time though before they do.Everything is just getting crazy here in the uk...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Poet Of Deception

You are right, I would also think it is a big problem if they are leaving half finished bottles of beer lying around. The youth of today - what a waste!

Haha!

I could just see homeless people crawling the streets picking them up! Honestly though i hate where i live.

I am traveling the world when i finish college!

Cannot wait!

Edn

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I dont like the idea of telling people what they can and cant do like this however I dont like the fact that people end up in hospital wasting my money on something they caused to themselves.

Why should people pay for someone who is knowingly damaging there health?

I completely agree on the ban on smoking in public places, I can hardly breath when someone is smoking near by. However i reckon they might be more effective if they just stopped peoples right to certain free health care if there smokers then what they are trying to do now.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
see what i don't understand...

is this reverse psychology or something??

is there planned depopulation or what???

cigarettes HELP in that cause RIGHT??

well WHICH IS IT?!!!

yea or nay!!?

o wait.. maybe cigarette smokers are LESS prone to getting certain diseases from airborne particles because of the slimy protective coating of tar on their throat and lungs.

sweeeeeet.

-

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Smoking in the uk has only went down 6% or so in 10 years i heard...there was a bigger fall in the 70's without all this crap.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
see what i don't understand...

is this reverse psychology or something??

is there planned depopulation or what???

cigarettes HELP in that cause RIGHT??

well WHICH IS IT?!!!

yea or nay!!?

o wait.. maybe cigarette smokers are LESS prone to getting certain diseases from airborne particles because of the slimy protective coating of tar on their throat and lungs.

sweeeeeet.

-

Your guess is as good as mine my friend!

I too find it difficult to understand why they are doing this. Does it not occur t them that they are doing it on their own occord.

It is like when there was an alchohol ban, people will find a way to get hold of something. (If the ban smoking alltogether)

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Edn

The smokers have paid their taxes too and have every right to the care given to them. If anything the tax collected from smokers as the VAT on tobacco more than pays for the entire NHS, so you non smokers can thank us whenever.

Its like saying that people injured playing sports shouldn't recieve care because they could've just stayed at home or obese people shouldn't recieve care because they could just eat less or old people shouldn't recieve care because they should be young. I think you see where i am going with this

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
We no longer have it displayed here in Canada, and I see no problem with it.
People who smoke can still go up to the counter and buy it.
I can't remember the last time I saw a vending machine here..perhaps 20 years ago.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Smoking in the uk has only went down 6% or so in 10 years i heard...there was a bigger fall in the 70's without all this crap.

Im pretty shure it has fallen since they discovered it could cause cancer and other life threatening diseases. But people used to smoke them for fun back in the 1960's +

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Personally, I would not care one bit if the .gov instituted a total ban on all tobacco products. I don't smoke so it could only help me by lowering my risk of cancer due to secondhand smoke; diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol and heart problems are also linked with smoking/exposure to secondhand smoke.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
We no longer have it displayed here in Canada, and I see no problem with it.
People who smoke can still go up to the counter and buy it.
I can't remember the last time I saw a vending machine here..perhaps 20 years ago.

Good to know it has happened over there. Did they make as much fuss over it as they have here in the UK?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join