It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico says gang killings more than double in 2008

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Mexico says gang killings more than double in 2008

news.yahoo.com

...gangland killings rose by 117 percent to 5,376 as compared to the first 11 months of 2007, when there were 2,477 slayings.

...The wave of killings, massacres and beheadings began at the start of 2008 when the Beltran-Leyva gang split from the main wing of the cartel led by Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.upi.com
seattletimes.nwsource.com
news.yahoo.com

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
When I read articles like this I'm at a loss why anyone would want an open border with Mexico. It is insane.

Until something is done about that border we are going to see this spill over into the US to the point border cities on our side are going to become a part of this war zone.

I know much of this is in the south of Mexico but even so there has been a huge amount of violence reported along our border.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I need to confess I'm personally biased as an Illegal from Mexico murdered my Sister In-Law. Hacked her too pieces is more accurate. Something has got to be done to keep Mexico's problems on their side of the border.

I can empathize fully with why people from Mexico come here. I have visited the villages away from tourist areas and since never had a desire to return for any reason. Any country that is that out of control is not a place I want to spend money or risk myself to visit.

The number of apologists is staggering on this topic. It just makes no sense. There is no way with how poorly our border is enforced that this is not spilling over into our cities daily. We have enough of our own issues without importing trouble from other countries.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
9 headless bodies found.....

TIJUANA, Mexico – The bodies of nine decapitated men were found in a vacant lot in Tijuana Sunday, part of a wave of violence that claimed at least 23 lives over the weekend in this border city plagued by warring traffickers, authorities said.

The heads were discovered in plastic bags near the bodies in a poor neighborhood of Tijuana, across from San Diego, Baja California state police said in a statement. Three police identification cards were also found at the site.

Vicious Drug Turf War

The attack was one of dozens of recent incidents in the sprawling Mexican border city, where nearly 300 people have been killed since late-September – many mutilated, tortured and beheaded in gruesome terror tactics copied from Iraq's brutal conflict...

...Mexico's drug war death tally of more than 4,000 this year – 685 in Tijuana – makes it one of the most dangerous countries in the world, and the extreme violence has intensified since the federal government launched a crackdown against the cartels.

How could anyone even suggest that our border remain open knowing the same people who are doing this are entering and leaving our country through what amounts to a revolving door.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
.....leagalize it.....

.....for it would end all this

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well not to get you worried too much but the influx has already spanned across the boarders and has infultrated every state from Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Wyoming and is spreading.

Now if one were to look up history and find what was once Mexico, you can see why these particular states are seeing a huge increase in the Mexican population.

They want to re-claim their territory that was taken from them. Some of the Mexican gangs have sworn to the death they will do this.

Some are trying to do it through civil ways, like become members of city and county and state government officials, law enforcement, forming organizations and doing it very quietly.

I moved from West Texas back in 2006 to the northwest, specifically Wyoming. The increase in the Mexican population up here has quadrupled in the last year alone. People I meet here are wondering where are all these Mexicans comming from. Well one reason is they want to re-take their territory.

Im not prejudice by any means. I am 2/3 mescelaro apache indian and 1/3 Mexican. Born in the 48th state in the early 60's and true red, white and blue. I see whats going on, and frankly I dont like it.

The boarder issue is nothing when there is only a virtual line drawn only on maps and GPS screens. When your out there in the open country with nothing but nature all around you, boarders dont mean a thing.

But there could have been something done about it a few years ago when the issue was brought up in the previous elections of 2004. But ol Wushy Bushy there just sort of turned the other way because he knew that had they pushed for real boarder security, there would have been NO way he would have won the 2004 ticket.

Well so much for boarder security. I doubt O-BAHH-ma will do anything about it either.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertnesta
.....leagalize it.....

Do you mean Marijuana? Or drugs in general? Or immigration?

I totally support the legalization of Marijuana because its a harmless plant. But let's be honest, they would just find something else to fight about. These gang wars are the result of widespread poverty and depression, a wealth distribution crises and corrupt law enforcement, on top of the already volatile drug trade in the area. I don't see any realistic end to the gang violence while Mexico is in the state its in.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertnesta
.....leagalize it.....

Please don't take this that direction. I did not mean for this to go that direction.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

What is it with you guys? ATS made a horrible mistake allowing all this pro-drug talk on ATS. We can't even have a discussion about how this relates to the border without it devolving into a legalize drug thread?

These thugs would just find some other form of crime to engage in. They won't become nice guys all of the sudden. The money is here and they will find a way to get it regardless.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well, which is it? Is Mexico trying to take over the land it lost in the US or is it trying to unite with the US with the North America Union? I highly doubt it is both.

As far as the gang activity, you can expect it to get worse now that the US is getting more involved through the Merida initiative or plan Mexico. The gangs will fight even more to resist authority.

One good thing is that there are a bunch of gangs gunning for each other. Hopefully, they take each other out in the process. Those of you who favor getting rid of our guns should look down south to see a good example why we should keep ours.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I'm fully aware. I'm also very angry about it because it impacted my life and my family.

The cheap hood who killed my Sister In-Law had been convicted three times of assaulting women. The local authorities never made an attempt to deport him. In fact the same day this jerk had been arrested for assaulting another woman who got away and they let him go.

I will never forget the look of horror on my Wife's face when she returned from having to fly across the country to ID the body. He drug her Sister into a Hotel room and hacked her to pieces. He plea bargained with an attorney paid for by the State and got 7 years. 7 YEARS

The detective told us he will be out in 7 years, move to another town and continue and they still are not going to deport him.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

If they want to kill each other I'll pay for the ammo.

With our current border situation this will continue to spill over. How many of the gang shootings in the US are from Illegals who have crossed over in the drug trade? I'm sure it is plenty.

The man who killed my Sister In-Law was a known trafficker from Mexico. He picked out a woman at random just walking down the street. Imagine how we are going to feel when he walks in 7 years and they do nothing to extradite him? How many other families have lost loved ones too these monsters. Of course Mexico want's the border open so they can export their problems.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
You have to look at the basic causes of such problems. The current political party in power took office in 2000, ending 61 years of constant corruption, including presidents that looked the other way and made political rivals "disappear". With this new political party (PAN-National Action Party) which has a conservative point of view, has lead a new wave of crime fighting. However, their strategy was flawed. They knocked off the leaders of the drug cartels thus leaving a power vacuum. That's when the violence reached their current peak levels mainly due to the fact that the guys at the middle and lower tiers of these cartels are fighting amongst themselves for control for the cartels. Similar action in central American countries *except directed at gangs* has pushed members of these gangs north into Mexico and offer a sorts of competition against the ailing cartels.

I live in northern San Diego so we're really close to Tijuana where a lot of the current violence is at. Most of the violence however is intended against elected officials (police commissioners, cops etc.), other drug traffickers and of course, civilians are collateral damage.

In a sense, you cannot stop the violence from spreading to our side due to the fact that we are indeed the consumers of their drugs, and anything short of a full military take-over of Mexico will not stop the wave of violence currently seen there *and keep in mind, it's just the tip of the iceberg* it's simply the result of taking on corruption. We saw this sort of violence during prohibition and post prohibition time with gangsters and such. Shootouts between gangsters and the police were a common sight, civilians were killed, but it was necessary to restore order.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

From working in a prison, I know they put a deportation hold on guys who have been ordered deported. Once they are scheduled to be released, ICE is notified and they are the ones who take charge of the prisoner on the day of release. Hope that helps. Sorry about the loss.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   

my bad dude i ment no distrespect

all i was trying to say is that gang violence would all but be a memory if certain policies on certain things were different

goodday

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Ok I will put it in simpler terms.

The two are interlinked. One goes in tandom with the other and both are a function of the other.

I am sorry to hear about your sister-in-law Blaine91555.
It seems that they dont get the punishment they deserve. Again, remember what I said about the systems and how they are slowly being infultrated. That is most likely why.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

He had three prior convictions. All for violent acts against women. He was NOT deported. The Detective said it will be the same this time.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by robertnesta

I understand. I just don't want it to end up in RATS. No problems. I'm not entirely opposed to what you say.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

write your congressman and demand he be deported and they notify you when he is,

If not start a petition, I will sign it in a heartbeat along with many others and we will gain it some national attention. There just isn't any excuse for not deporting him.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I'm in your corner. I can't imagine how much worse this will get if the border becomes even more open. Then we have the issue that if Illegals from Mexico can cross so easily, whats to stop anyone else?

I know this topic has been beat to death but it needs to be to get people to realize exactly what we are opening ourselves up too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join