It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angry Laid-Off Workers Occupy Factory in Chicago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Angry Laid-Off Workers Occupy Factory in Chicago

www.foxnews.com

About 250 union workers occupied the Republic Windows and Doors plant in shifts Saturday while union leaders outside criticized a Wall Street bailout they say is leaving laborers behind.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This is the most amazing news I have heard in months. People truly fighting back! I know this won't evolve into a full-scale Proletariat revolution...but it is better than nothing, and Eugene V. Debbs would be proud. Hopefully more Americans will refuse to take the government's bull and big corporations slack...fight back! Take back America!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I applaud and support the workers but I fear that the involvement of the unions might be a bit self serving. If the workers are laid off then the unions don't get their dues and from what I know of unions they are mostly interested in getting their share of the money.

I hope we see more like this, people refusing to leave their foreclosed houses, businesses refusing to close down. We, the people, have been far too complacent for far too long and we are being stepped on and left in the cold.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Ya but this approach needs to be done with caution because it is the very thing that will trigger martial law.

I agree with the reasons for the protesting, but the manner in which the protests are carried out needs to be done carfully otherwise they will become self defeating.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Its called a sit down strike.
en.wikipedia.org...

The Industrial Workers of the World were the first American union to use it,[1] while the United Auto Workers staged successful sit-down strikes in the 1930s, most famously in the Flint Sit-Down Strike of 1936-1937. In Flint, Michigan, strikers occupied several General Motors plants for more than forty days, and repelled the efforts of the police and National Guard to retake them. A wave of sit-down strikes followed, but diminished by the end of the decade as the courts and the National Labor Relations Board held that sit-down strikes were illegal and sit-down strikers could be fired. While some sit-down strikes still occur in the United States, they tend to be spontaneous and short-lived.

Its when workers are unsatisfied with how things are going and stage sit down strikes.

This happened alot in the early 1900's, I wonder if we will see some more of these.

[edit on 12/8/2008 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I don't see them getting their job. Economy across the board is getting hit and unfortunately layoffs are a part of it. I also wonder what role the union is playing behind this as well. One thing is for sure, that bailout didn't work out as the politicians plans. Thus far it has financed parties and companies that refuse to spread the wealth after receiving it. The people are the ones getting the short end of the stick and this is why events like this one will take place.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This story has been on the local (Chicago) news for a few days now.
The people were treated like dirt by the employer. He just shut down
the plant without any advance notice and without any final paycheck
for the 300 employees.

Even though the company was in dire straights due to the lack of
new house construction (they make doors and windows for builders),
the blame falls squarely on the owner's shoulders. The business was
poorly managed and borrowed money to pay the employees. They
probably should have given the mandatory 60 day notice three months
ago when the available cash ran out.

top topics

join