It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone REALLY know anything?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

That sounds very interesting. I will have to check it out.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

I know for sure that Sandra Bullock is HOTTT to me! And I know I have to pee bad!!!

Does this count as Knowing?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
What I've often wondered is, do people percieve the world around them the same as I do? There is no way to know this, but I still wonder if what I see as red is what other people see as red, because there is no other way to describe red beyond red. Sure there are tints and hues of it, but when you think about it, there is nothing more simple in terms of information processing than a color.

Maybe this explains why people have different senses of what looks good, because they see the colors in a different way than everyone else.

I find it fascinating that such a simple thing that we deal with everyday like color perception can never be confirmed. Its an unknowable truth.

An obvious example of what I'm talking about is color blindness. If someone is colorblind to green and to them it looks purple, they'll never really know what green looks like because there is no way to describe it beyond "green".

Does anyone get what I'm trying to say? I always find it hard to express these abstract concepts.

As to how this pertains to this topic, I thought it might be productive if the argument was given a more relatable and physical example.

[edit on 12/10/2008 by TheMayMelancholies]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMayMelancholies

I used to think about the exact same thing. I have come to the conclusion that other people most likely see red as the same color I see it as. For example which color do you associate as the closest to white :red, purple, yellow, blue, green? I say yellow. Even though none of them are any lighter than any of the others we see yellow as more white than the others for some reason. Also the colors are created by different wave lengths that the eye picks up, These wavelengths are the same to every eye.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
no one REALLY know everything?
but all together we are closer to the truth

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthDefender

That is what I have also concluded from this thread. Perhaps that was even the reason I created it?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Over the years, through all the research and reading and accumulation of data etc, i've come to the conclusion that everything is really just opinion.

Galileo said:

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

Yes, but perhaps there is something knowable, something undeniable to all, besides existance. I haven't found it yet, but maybe...just maybe.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I don't think we'll never know for sure. There will always be a "what if". I think this discussion has reached an end. Square One.

[edit on 1/15/2009 by TheMayMelancholies]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMayMelancholies

Who knows? (jk)

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
No, we don't know anything for sure.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join