It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone REALLY know anything?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by th3dudeabides

That is so interesting to me. I will have to look into metaphysics now.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by theresult
right = 1 wrong = 1 the question/me = 1

Are you trying to say that there is one right and one wrong and one question and one you? None of these things are the same just because they equal the number 1.

Do we realy understand the consept of logic or the reason why oddness is needed in maths? and if so were did that come from..

Logic is the study of principles of valid demonstration and inference. en.wikipedia.org... Something can logically be true, but that doesn't mean it actually is true.
Odd numbers are used in math to measure amount. The odd amount of things would still exist without numbers, but not vice versa.
I do not know where understanding of such things come from.

for me there is mathimatical equations for eveything we know but the only one we dont know is how we got here.. and the end product of that anomliy is odd numbers..

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
-Albert Einstein

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychonaughty
And if we didn't know anything and were never right I would not be talking to you via the internet.

We aren't always wrong, but we are not certain of anything except existance. The existance of preference of certain types of coffee creamer, the existance of this world or illusion of a world, the existance of thought, the existance of everything that exists. But can we know anything beyond existance? Can we understand why and how things exist?

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voltzen
Of course there are things that I think I can safely categorize as knowledge, for instance I can say I know if I unplug my computer, it will go off. Then there are things that I can categorize as educated guess, for instance I figure if I throw my computer against the wall, it will probably go off permanently,

I wouldn't say this is undeniable truth, perhaps you are wrong and your computer will magically stay on.

Whether what we take as truth actually is or not is irrelevant in the end, because perception is reality, and life is an ongoing learning experience, so knowledge is constantly being shaped by new insight.
When we know something, then it is true in all cases and doesn't contradict our other knowledge. Knowledge only grows. I think that if we were able to live forever, we could eventually become omniscient, but then we would probably decide to start over and learn it all again.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bloodcircle

It seems as if not very many of us overgrown multicellular organisms actually do ponder these questions. As I have seen here many of them believe it is not worth it to try or impossible to find answers so they busy themselves with material distractions. I guess there is no threat of them causing any harm any time soon. I might watch out for these guys though:
www.worldproutassembly.org...
It says, "Resolution of these profound questions could unlock the secrets of existence and deliver a new age of science within several decades."

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
My two cents have to come from another source:
"You are existing at all levels simultaneously. It is specifically correct that your Higher Self is you in mid-sixth-density and, in your way of measuring what you know of as time, your Higher Self is your self in your future."
From the law of one. I am on the same path as you and all I know for certain is that 'I am.' www.lawofone.info...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Without consciousness, could the existence of anything be known? Does anything exist outside of consciousness?

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

We know 2+2=4. We also know that maths cannot be proven to not contradict itself. But we also know that the definitions will be changed, then, so still 2+2=4. Tricky stuff. We know nothing. But as Socrates put it, 'All true knowledge stems from knowing that we know nothing.' He used 'refutation' ie contradiction. If we bundle a load of stuff up and it contradicts itself, we know (somehow) that it is wrong. We know loads, and nothing, but we don't always go wrong....... BTW if the Socrates stuff has been brought up earlier on another page, sorry.....

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by WEOPPOSEDECEPTION

Nothing would be known, but perhaps something would exist.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

Great observation. So we do know something more than just existance. We know that some things don't exist also, at least not in this reality. But those loads of things we know are not undeniable truth, in fact they are quite deniable most of the time.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

Care to elaborate on mid-sixth density and higher selves? I have never heard of it and I like learning new things if you can't tell.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I am love, I am hate
I destroy, I create
A distinction of animal grace
I attack what I protect, I'm the cure and I infect
A behavior of true savage rage
I suspect what I trust, remorse what I lust
What's in reach is in guilt and out of touch
Every pleasure is pain, Every effort is in vain
It just feels like I'm trying too much.
I wonder why I'm suffering?

I am first, I am last (the questions of the past)
All the quiet in the call of alarm
I'm your enemy and friend, the beginning and the end
All the chaos surrounding the calm
Every truth is a lie, Gotta live and gotta die
One man's wrong is another man's right
Every fact is a belief, every power is a thief
Each war is a peacemaker's fight
I wonder why I'm still suffering?

Lyrics above from an old song.

We seem to be misguided creatures. If certain beliefs are adhered to they directly hurt others. If we progress to drive vehicles it destroys our own air. We hurt friends and family even when not intentional and become enemies even if that was never intended. To build something I must destroy something first. Such is the meaning of being human. "For each action there truly is an equal and opposite reaction?"

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
thats why belief in GOD (which in itself is faith) is so important
its the yardstick to measure the universe by

[edit on 10-12-2008 by GRANDWORLDDRAMA]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Sodom

one thing i know for sure.....that i don`t know anything....

Plato's famous account of the trial and death of Socrates:

When I left him, I reasoned thus with myself: I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know.

Sodom

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by cancerian42
I wouldn't say this is undeniable truth, perhaps you are wrong and your computer will magically stay on.

Hmm, good point... let's find out...

When we know something, then it is true in all cases and doesn't contradict our other knowledge. Knowledge only grows. I think that if we were able to live forever, we could eventually become omniscient, but then we would probably decide to start over and learn it all again.

Well, yeah that's true, but sometimes we think we know something beyond question of a doubt, and then later learn something that proves we didn't know half as much as we thought we did. Though I guess that would be less of new knowledge canceling out old knowledge, and more of a case of new knowledge replacing old conviction. Though opinions shape some types of knowledge, particularly anything of a less concrete nature, such as morality or faith. One person's conceptions may be the polar opposite of another's, and through discussion, debate, and experience, these conceptions are subject to change. Facts aren't always easy to pin down, and things that can't be proven can't really be known, unless you find a way to prove it, even if only to yourself. Our minds shape our reality and perception of what we "know," and no two minds are exactly alike.

Originally posted by prevenge
"Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning. A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. – Believe in nothing…"
-Timothy Leary
-

Precisely. Timothy Leary was the man, heh

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by toochaos4u

For each action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Carma. You reap what you sow. You should accept the consequences of your actions. I believe it.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by GRANDWORLDDRAMA
thats why belief in GOD (which in itself is faith) is so important
its the yardstick to measure the universe by.

But what do you measure by on an infinite yardstick?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voltzen
Sometimes we think we know something beyond question of a doubt, and then later learn something that proves we didn't know half as much as we thought we did. Though I guess that would be less of new knowledge canceling out old knowledge, and more of a case of new knowledge replacing old conviction. Though opinions shape some types of knowledge, particularly anything of a less concrete nature, such as morality or faith.

Knowing something is true means that opinions should not be able to shape it. Morals and faith are not true knowledge, merely convictions or conceptions that can be changed with new experiences and like you said everyone has their own.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

LOL, I can tell! I do too. I would love to elaborate, but my understanding is just beginning. I will try a basic explanation of what I have learned so far.
Densities are what we call dimensions… Our higher self is the part of us that isn’t here in this illusion and can also give us good advice if we learn how to listen.
We move through the densities to learn/evolve our souls. I believe our density, third, is where we learn to make the right choices. Fourth is where we learn compassion, fifth is wisdom, and on it goes, but I do not have much more understanding just yet.
I read every night from the Law of One to absorb. It’s a tough read because it is information we have not been presented in the main stream, so to wrap my brain around it takes some serious concentration.

I have a lot more rattling around in my head that needs to absorb. This is some exciting stuff, I gotta say. And if you add some of this knowledge to other things like ancient extraterrestrials, the pyramids, the Mayans, Atlantis, etc.. the story becomes very well laid out.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join