It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone REALLY know anything?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Hello all. I have been lead to ask myself the question, "Do I really know anything for sure?" and the only answer that I found to this question was the timeless reply, that I am. I see lots of people on ATS who claim to know something, be it about religion, spirit, science, math, philosophy, history, and every other conceivable topic and no matter what there is has always been some possible conflicting explanation that could prove that "knowledge" wrong. If what you know to be true is proven wrong then you should probably be wary about trusting yourself with other knowledge,right? So I ask now, "Does anyone REALLY know anything besides existance?" I am not asking for someone to prove that they have faith that something is true, because faith is not knowledge. Knowledge is the certainty of something true. I hope someone can enlighten me with some knowledge other than the fact of existance of what is undeniably true.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
If everyone knew everything then there would be no need for knowing about anything else because we would all know about everything anyway.

A professor once told me that to recognize you dont know is to begin the journey to knowing absolutely nothing until you know for sure that there isnt anything else to know about.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Existance is not one hundred percent undeniable. What if this existance you observe is merely an illusion? You could be a computer program for all you know. Nothing can be confirmed as truth. Truth is what you perceive it to be; what you accept to be true is the truth for you. No SINGLE truth exists.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

If there isn't anything else to know about then your saying I know everything which I am pretty sure I don't know everything, but I will keep an open mind if you wish to refute that.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Abit of a crazy subject !!

Do we know anything? well Yes we do!!

is it right? well who cares lol, thats what I think and reading other things people do or dont know seems to be a very human nature to atleast read it then make your own choice if it is indeed "proof" ?

I dont know what the truth of all this is I Just know im here and im happy to atleast give everyone there fair shot at being them just like I would like someone to give me my fair shot on how I feel..

If this helps, I Know this and so do we all "we know we are here but why?"

good lil thread sf coz its late
and i need somethig to debate!! or get my head round other than odd numbers lol

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

The point is that there is always something to learn, or to know about. Which in effect supports your thread title..does anyone really know anything?

Even an expert in something always learns something new in their particular expertise.

To put it in a nutshell, if there was nothing else to learn or to know about, which there always is something new to learn or know about..then we would already know it all, but we dont.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
There is a sense of being/presence, and an awareness. Kind of like an eyeball that sees but can't see itself, therefore can't know itself, but it is aware that seeing is going on. Whether it is illusion or not. it doesn't matter, there is still seeing going on, and a sense of an "I" that sees. You cannot know that "I", you can only formulate thoughts about it.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMayMelancholies

Hello, MayMelancholies and welcome to ATS. I still know that I exist even if I am an illusion, I am at the least an existing illusion. Or perhaps I am an existing computer program? I agree that the truth is often what you perceive it to be, however I think it is not limited to perception. I think that there are undiscovered truths and/or truths that people refuse to believe. And I guess that is what I am searching for, something beyond just existance. For example you can say it is true that gravity exists (even if it is just an illusion), but why should/does it?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

So the truth is subject to change? Or is there just one truth that we are all searching for, but are constantly changing our assumed ideas of it.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm a big "maybe logic" fan. It's the brainchild of the late and much lamented Robert Anton Wilson. His belief was that the certainty of anything was the death of knowledge because once you're "sure", you quit considering it. I find that to be a very appealing notion.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by theresult

My point exactly.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

we know something, but there always will be things that no one will ever truly comprehend or come to agreement on ... if everyone knew everything then there would be no wars, no famine, nothing negative in this world ... but we will never reach this point as it is impossible and quite illogical of anyone to believe they have reached this point ... so in essence what i'm trying to say is that people know some things we just will never know everything.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Gravity exists because mass exists. The more mass something has, the more gravitational pull it has. Why is this so? I have no idea. I just accept it as a truth because that is what I observe. There's really no point in trying to pursue it any further than that because you'll never reach a final answer. All it will do is make your brain hurt.

The same goes for time paradoxes. There's no end.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by WEOPPOSEDECEPTION

So are you saying it is true that we are unknowable to ourselves? Why are we so unknowable?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by cancerian42
reply to post by RFBurns

So the truth is subject to change? Or is there just one truth that we are all searching for, but are constantly changing our assumed ideas of it.

That could go either way for some. To some, truth as it is preceived now cannot be changed no matter what. And to others, the truth could be changed if the new truth clearly shows that the previous truth is either flawed or incomplete.

For example...the missing chapters and books from the Bible. Now to most the current content of the Bible is the absolute truth, no exceptions.

However to others, the missing pieces tell them that the truth is incomplete, thus truth must contain more than what others see as complete truth, thus that truth can..and from my point of view, must change to have a complete truth. And at that point would be changed.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Who wants to know?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Sounds interesting, but I still have a craving for knowledge of the truth rather than the consideration of possible truths.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well, so far 2 and 2 has always equaled four. Apples continuosly fall from trees, and pricipels based on that beginners bit of knowledge have enabled us to plan and launch missions that reach the outer most parts of our solar system.
Generally speaking, I'm pretty sure if you unplug you're comptuer you wil not be able to access the internet, unless you're on a laptop, in which removing your battery will amount to the same thing.
I'm certain that at some point I will die, though what exactly happens afterwords is a matter of some debate,t though I'm fairly certain I won't be able to comment on any of my findings after the fact.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
In a strange way maybe the meaning of life "ours" not aliens or whatever is to learn about it?

I read some thing befor while checking ats was another link, and it was kinda saying "this is my view also".

That everytime we think of something the universe says well here is another one for you to think about!! its like a big ironic joke being played on us, or atleast some big never ending journey for us as a race.. sure we get alot wrong but some of us try to understand what we are in or atleast try to make sens of it in ways.

The more people there is the more chance of someone getting the question right.. "law of probibilty" but if the universe is indeed infanint then well i guess so are the questions!

still great thead just becouse it does make one think about what we know or what we think we do

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by cancerian42
reply to post by yeahright

Sounds interesting, but I still have a craving for knowledge of the truth rather than the consideration of possible truths.

It's human nature to want the impossible.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join