It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I was thinking about how *if* possible we could go about harnessing the power of our very own,very large local chemical and nuclear power plant,the Sun.Now id like some smart people to deveop how we could go about this more,ive thought about sending large solar panels into space near the sun...but have no idea if that would be worth it for the electricity produced.The energy could be sent back.

news.bbc.co.uk...

afp.google.com...

Or even more daring is some sort of geo thermal power,right now no metal we have can survive the heat on the surface of the sun(5500c),but we are close en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

uk.youtube.com...

Michio kaku describes a civilization harnessing power from their star as type 2..i think we personally are or could (if we wanted to) move into this stage within the next 25 years.It seems common sense to harness power from such a giant reactor as the sun.

Thoughts?

[edit on 8-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Interesting concepts, tho imo this aint gunna happen annytime soon and no way in the next 25 years..

And if it did ever happen they would regulate it just like water "also free"

Ask any water company about your water rates and they will tell you:

Sir/Madam The water is free but we charge to get it to you and make it clean..

I guess with any free power whatever that may be they will charge us to get it to and from its point of origin "seems fair"..

and just on another note.. they want to use every single last drop of oil befor we even get close to using some other form of clean energy imo.

its called greed =)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Wow, we are quite close to that temp. I never knew that.

I do wonder how putting solar panels close to the sun will help us though. I have no idea how they really work... but I thought they needed to be connected to a cable/wire so the energy can be transferred. Besides... I don't think you need to be that close to the sun to receive energy. I mean, the only thing that stops us here is the weather, and the ability to make solar panels that can receive and store enough energy. Maybe a giant solar panel in orbit (like what we already have with satilites... but like I said, how would we actually receive and use that energy?

How long is a trip to the sun, anyway? Energy isn't something you can send long distances like an email... as far as I know.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 4demon

Weather has no effect.

I use solar panels, they produce more energy than people give them credit for. Now the electric company has too pay me for the energy produced...

hAha...

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

Seriously? I've considered getting solar panels on the house. £2000 is a lot to pay outfront, but in the long term, it's well worth it. I've always hesitated because of the weather in the UK. I thought with overcast, it's barely useful at all.

I seem to remember having a similar train of thought when buying a convertable... but for opposite reasons.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 4demon

Well there is talk that some guy called tesla had a way to tune into elec ect

look it up hes got some crazy stuff going on like orgon stuff makes u think alot but who knows

Greedy men vs Utopia what would would you have if you was the greedy man?

says alot about todays world i guess

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
But isn't the sun 93 million miles away thats a far effort to get power all that way and how do you do the maintenance replacements etc etc.

There is an abundant amount of power here on earth its just we haven't harnessed it yet and I'm sure it would be better to try and do that first.

top topics

join