It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God, Darwin not at odds, says 'simple' Bush

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I was really surprised by the following article where Bush says "the Bible is probably not True".......

God, Darwin not at odds, says 'simple' Bush

GEORGE W. Bush said overnight that the Bible is "probably not" literally true and that a belief that God created the world is compatible with the theory of evolution. "I think you can have both," the US president, who leaves office January 20, told ABC television, adding "You're getting me way out of my lane here. I'm just a simple president." But "evolution is an interesting subject. I happen to believe that evolution doesn't fully explain the mystery of life," said the president, an outspoken Christian who often invokes God in his speeches. "I think that God created the Earth, created the world; I think the creation of the world is so mysterious it requires something as large as an almighty and I don't think it's incompatible with the scientific proof that there is evolution," he told ABC television. Asked whether the Bible was literally true, Bush replied: "Probably not. No, I'm not a literalist, but I think you can learn a lot from it." "The important lesson is God sent a son," he said.

I always thought that Bush was a "Hard" believer in the Bible. I guess he is just showing his true colors before leaving the white house. I would like to have your opinions on what he says. Do you think that being president of the US he might have some insider or secret info that has changed his beliefs?

[edit on 8-12-2008 by rattan1]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'd be more keen to think that he never believed it in the first place, and just used "christianity" as a means to a political end. The possibility of being elected to a high office in this country if you are NOT Christian is VERY freaking high.

Those in politics know this, and will use it to their advantage.

Edit to add: By the way, my own thoughts have always been that darwinism and God could work together equally. Who says that God didn't set up evolution by natural selection to get everything here?

But that's getting into a topic beyond the topic lol just saying

[edit on 8-12-2008 by Jomina]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Bush is just a Clown. As you said he is showing his true colors. He never believed in God. He took an Oath on the bible to serve the country. What is the use of that oath if you don't believe in it.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
God started evolution is just the religious dragging their feet again...the bible gets picked apart and the goalposts change,god made us from dirt and ribs,made the world in 6 days..all proven wrong..anyway abiogenesis is complicated,plus darwinism hasn't existed for over a century.But yes i agree,i think a large proportion of politicans are not religious,only use it as a tool or less devious simply lie because they know if they say they are atheist etc they wont get voted in...

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
If Bush wants to be a mindless simpleton ON HIS OWN TIME, I don't care. After all I woulden't want him to get a head ache. But his impact on science in the U.S. has been calamitious. This is the most actively ANTI-SCIENTIC admisistration in my life time, if not ever.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rattan1
I always thought that Bush was a "Hard" believer in the Bible. I guess he is just showing his true colors before leaving the white house. I would like to have your opinions on what he says. Do you think that being president of the US he might have some insider or secret info that has changed his beliefs?

Well, if the question is about "insider secreted info" then the question is a resounding yes. However, I don't see him say he doesn't believe in the bible. Just because the statement is used "not litteral true" that doesn't equate to untrue.

Jesus used parables to inform. Would you say that jesus used untrue stories? The parables, were true stories, made up of understandings and spun into tales.

I just did a thread about this very topic:
Christians need to face the facts!
It is clear to any logical mind of average inteligents that isn't afraid of an imaginary boogyman "devil" that the bible is a compled document spun in nationalistic and mythologic overtones.

However although some might see these things as "falsehoods", in fact they are not. Just because Jesus wasn't letteraly born of a virgin female, doesn't make the story of the virgin birth untrue, as Mary was a pure soul.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by Incarnated]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
If the Theory of evolution is correct, then Bush is certainly not a good example of that... He evolved into something Stupid.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Just a quick question to the members here; Does anyone remember if the Bible Bush took his oath on was Masonic Bible? If yes, does anyone here know the difference between the Masonic bible and the normal version? It could be he is saying that the Normal version is not totally true and that the Masonic one is……

new topics

top topics

join