It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive riots in Greek cities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Massive riots in Greek cities

www.google.com

ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Gangs of youths are smashing their way through central Athens and Thessaloniki, torching stores and buildings after the fatal police shooting of a teenager in the worst rioting Greece has seen in decades.

Rioters have torched the capital's massive Christmas tree in central Syntagma Square. Some protesters posed for photos in front of the blaze. Others sang the Greek version of "Oh Christmas Tree."

The windows of one of Athens' luxury hotels, the Athens Plaza on Syntagma Square, have been smashed. The lobby filled with tear gas or smoke. A hotel guard said guests were evacuated. A small fire is burning in the lobby of the Foreign Ministry opposite Parliament.

In Thessaloniki, dozens of buildings are being smashed and rioters are throwing Molotov cocktails.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The remainder of the article can be read at the link.

Wow! I'm amazed that these riots are still taking place as there's been nothing on the MSM today. At least there hasn't been anything about it any time I've turned the news on.

Is there anyone from Greece here on ATS - I hope you stay safe.

I believe this all started when a police officer shot and killed a 15 year old boy.

The last time a teenager was killed in a police shooting in Greece — during a demonstration in 1985 — it sparked weeks of rioting

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit to add live TV link

[edit on 8-12-2008 by Maya00a]

[edit on 8-12-2008 by Maya00a]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
There is a whole lot going on in the world that the U.S news does not broadcast.
They think that if they say nothing it will go away, as they are worried that Americans might do the same thing.

If it was not for the internet we would not know hardly anything that is going on around us.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

Hello Maya00a,

it's been receiving live coverage on CNN international and our local networks as well, but as my US friends who've been over here tell me, CNN international shows a lot of stuff that never gets on CNN USA. I would guess it might be a similar story for some other large US-based MSM.

Mike

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It started with the shooting of a 15yo boy, who was from a wealthy family but was hanging around in a dodgy part of town known of its undesirable elements. There are still conflicting accounts of what happened anyway before the shooting.

It is alleged the bullet ricocheted off another object and struck the boy supposedly according to a ballistics report, but there are also claims the cop aimed directly at the boy and shot him.

Regardless of why it started, it has little to do with the shooting, and more to do with anarchists/hooligans looking for a reason to do what they are doing. Things in Greece before this shooting and the riots were tense, in that there were several mass strikes by workers over reforms, over pensions, over pay, and generally to show frustration at the government and its performance or lack of.
Now these rights are compounding the governments problems.
And surprise surprise, certain opposition & minor parties are lining up to take shots at the government. One party, a radical left party called Syriza, has even gone as far as to practically incite more violence.

And what makes matters worse, is that the media in Greece is heavily leftist/liberal - the current government is center-right.

And if you thought it was bad so far, it will potentially get worse, as there are reports that these anarchists friends from across Europe are preparing to get involved too. In fact, some reports indicate they are already co-operating on these riots. Italian anarchist groups have already sent their "congratulations and praise" for the riots.

In the cities of Patra and Larisa, the people took to the streets to defend their property and businesses, some 3,000 citizens in Patra alone, and directly took on the anarchists.
There are many similar reports of people taking matters into their own hands. One such story of a 40 ear old businessman who went after a mob of anarchists who tried to burn his business down.
The people of Greece have had enough, not only of the government, but of these extreme left groups and anarchists too.

Since the government is paralyzed and incapable of doing anything, and the police have their hands tied for political reasons stretching back to the days of the junta, I hope and pray the people rise up as one and dispose of these scum anarchists.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by BLV12]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BLV12

If i wanted to write about Greece and the riots, (i live here) thats what i would have said. A very good account of what is happeneing. Can i give you points or something??

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Has this not been in the MSM in the USA then? Big news in the UK.

top topics

join