It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

67 Years Ago Today: 15 UFOs Approached The Golden Gate!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Good Day Forumerions,

Before the "Battle of Los Angeles," and before Foo Fighters there were UFOs over San Francisco:

15 Unidentified Craft Sighted

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 8— (AP)— Brig.
Gen. William Ord Ryan of the Fourth Interceptor
command said tonight that a large
number of unidentified planes approached the
Golden, Gate tonight, but were sighted and
driven back to sea.

The rest of the story . . .

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Frank Warren

thanks Frank for the info because i had not heard about this incident.

sorry to have changed my post but i found this article wich discusses this incident and it seems there was a connection to the Battle of L.A. ?

from what i can tell...they still don't really know what happened. strange indeed

www.ufo.it...

[edit on 8-12-2008 by easynow]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Mornin' EN,

reply to post by easynow

I am very familiar with the story; General Ryan (the man on site) initially "deduced" the craft as "Japanese bombers" through process of elimination. (Remember, this is before any acronyms or descriptions of "UFOs," "Flying Disc," "Saucers" etc). Obviously, being the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the same thing happening on the west coast was thought to be imminent; however, we now (and shortly thereafter) know that there weren't any enemy aircraft carriers off the coast of California.

Although the PTB quickly dismissed the incident as they did the "Battle of Los Angeles" 2 months later--I don't buy it!

Also important to point out that I use the term "UFO" in the verbatim; following General Ryan's example, we know that "they weren't army planes, they weren't navy planes, and you can be sure they weren't civilian planes," and today we know that they weren't "Japanese planes."

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

thank you Frank for the reply and sorry i changed my above post that was asking you about some clarification about the story. i did some reading about it and i have to admit this is one of the strangest stories i have ever heard of involving the Military and UFO's.

planes were heard but none spotted ? very strange.

no surprise that the Military would be in denial but what was the official explanation that dismissed the whole thing ?

if it was proven that they were not Japanese planes or our planes what excuse did they use ? or was it just brushed under the rug and forgotten about ?

Japanese airplanes or UFO's, either way there seems to be a coverup here.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frank Warren
however, we now (and shortly thereafter) know that there weren't any enemy aircraft carriers off the coast of California.

Maybe not aircraft carriers, but Japanese submarine aircraft carriers were operating off the West Coast. Gen. Ryan seems very clear that these were planes, why assume they were something else? (Though admittedly, he may have called them planes because there was no other word to describe them in that era).

If these were alien craft, how were they driven off so easily? It seems our counter-measures would not have bothered them one bit.

following General Ryan's example, we know that "they weren't army planes, they weren't navy planes, and you can be sure they weren't civilian planes..."

Could it be that you are misinterpreting General Ryan's meaning? I think when he says "they weren't army planes, they weren't navy planes" he means they were not planes belonging to the United States. I don't think he means to say they were not planes.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
EN,

Originally posted by easynow

thank you Frank for the reply and sorry i changed my above post that was asking you about some clarification about the story. i did some reading about it and i have to admit this is one of the strangest stories i have ever heard of involving the Military and UFO's.

planes were heard but none spotted ? very strange.

It's my belief that "any" planes were ours; not unlike BOLA (Battle of LA), our defensive forces would have been derelict of duty had we not responded in that manner, aside from the many witnesses (re BOLA) that reported seeing "our" planes.

no surprise that the Military would be in denial but what was the official explanation that dismissed the whole thing ?

If memory serves . . . "on that incident" I believe the PTB said it was a test . . . I'll have to check the file to be sure.

if it was proven that they were not Japanese planes or our planes what excuse did they use ? or was it just brushed under the rug and forgotten about ?

Explained away as mentioned, and yes soon to be forgotten. Don't forget that the "Office of Censorship" was activated at that point a well.

Japanese airplanes or UFO's, either way there seems to be a coverup here.

That is my opinion . . . yes.

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

The General also states they were not planes. This is a case I had never heard of, and it is by a flag officer which makes it even more important.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Ok all this UFO interest in LA and San Fransisco centred in California (I think) so why would this be so interesting for these UFOs at that time? I'm a Brit and not sure why California was a centre of activity then, was something going on there?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

The case brought up here is one of two cases in California during World War II. It could be we were being observed during the war to see how we would respond.
Also, while the general did say planes, he did point out it was not army, navy or private planes. I do wish there was more of a description of what was seen, but it can be ruled out it was not the Japanese, as they would of attacked if they had come that close to the US border.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Lt. Gen. John L. DeWitt of the Western Defense Command insisted that the planes were Japanese. This is from an article called "THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II; DEFENSE OF THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE":

As these and other forces took up their defensive positions, coastal communities suffered from an “invasion fever” which first showed itself with the calling of an alert in San Francisco on 8 December. In the afternoon of the 8th, rumors of an enemy carrier off the coast led to the closing of schools in Oakland. That evening, while residents of the Bay area were having dinner, radio broadcasting suddenly ceased, and this was followed by a blackout which lasted nearly three hours. in the absence of adequate preparations, sirens on police cars were used to warn the people, and self-appointed neighborhood wardens rushed from door to door to help enforce the blackout. Reports reaching Washington of an attack, on San Francisco were regarded as credible, but news dispatches soon characterized the affair as a test and announced that California had “caught its breath again.” The Army, however, insisted that radar stations had tracked airplanes approaching the coast from a distance 100 miles at sea. The continuity of the tracking convinced officers that the planes were hostile, and Lt. Gen. John L. DeWitt of the Western Defense Command strongly denounced those who treated the alert lightly. In the San Francisco News of 10 December he was quoted as follows: “Last night there were planes over this community. They were enemy planes! I mean Japanese planes! And they were tracked out to sea. You think it was a hoax? It is damned nonsense for sensible people to assume that the Army and Navy would practice such a hoax on San Francisco.”

www.sfmuseum.net...

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Good Day SC,

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

however, we now (and shortly thereafter) know that there weren't any enemy aircraft carriers off the coast of California.

Maybe not aircraft carriers, but Japanese submarine aircraft carriers were operating off the West Coast. Gen. Ryan seems very clear that these were planes, why assume they were something else? (Though admittedly, he may have called them planes because there was no other word to describe them in that era).

We also know the general activities of the "I" submarines and on the 8th of December (the day after Pearl Harbor) they were out looking for the aircraft carriers they missed at Pearl. True by the "end of the month" they would be parked off the west coast. This discounts the notion that the UFOs could could have been "Glen's" (allied code word for the Yokoska Y-14-Y1 carried by submarine carriers I-Class). Moreover, I would argue that Ryan was anything but "clear."

If these were alien craft, how were they driven off so easily? It seems our counter-measures would not have bothered them one bit.

Who said anything about "alien craft" and if that were the case, how can one presume that "our counter-measures would not have bothered them?"

following General Ryan's example, we know that "they weren't army planes, they weren't navy planes, and you can be sure they weren't civilian planes..."

Could it be that you are misinterpreting General Ryan's meaning? I think when he says "they weren't army planes, they weren't navy planes" he means they were not planes belonging to the United States. I don't think he means to say they were not planes.

My interpretation is based on "several accounts" of this incident; he clearly states in several instances "what they were not" instigated by reporters questions "if they were Japanese bombers." Of course we know that they "weren't Japanese anything," which leaves them as "U.nidentified F.lying O.bjects. I don't believe he was saying that they weren't planes either; that's the obvious, natural assumption. History is filled with reports of aerial phenomenon associated with "known" man-made objects using the vernacular of the day, e.g., airships, bollides , flaming chariots, flying shields etc.

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hey Ziggy,

Originally posted by ziggystar60
Lt. Gen. John L. DeWitt of the Western Defense Command insisted that the planes were Japanese. This is from an article called "THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II; DEFENSE OF THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE":

This is the point! These declarations of actual people involved lend credence to the notion that the event was real opposed to later statements by the PTB that it was "a test"; since we can account for Japanese aircraft carriers and subs etc., in addition to the fact that the Japanese, the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor would not be taking a "sight seeing trip" over the Bay area--they would have attacked, dropped bombs etc.

Again, we know what they were not.

Cheers,
Frank

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Hi mate, I wonder if the california incidents have anything to do with the fact that there are huge underwater entrances to massive cave complexes underneath california? There have been many reports of USO's in that area and the US allegedly lost a sub in them while on some secret mission with all hands - paranormal.about.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
"I'm a Brit and not sure why California was a centre of activity then, was something going on there? "

If I remember right that area was place for war industry that time. (?). After BOLA they moved industry other place. (?)

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Thanks for posting updates Frank, I always check your site daily if possible and keep it up.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I got to say - a couple of reasons to explain some of the 'coincidences' you have put out into the forum here.

1) California is the centre of activity. Around this time California and particularly the San Andreas area were the centre of the world drug scene. I think drug episodes and wishful 'I want to believe' attitudes can do much to explain away many of the 'UFO' sightings.

2) It wasn't an aircraft carrier, come on Jesus, who even suggested that as an explanation.

Lets stay away from sightings with hazy facts with little hope of reaching a rational conclusion and stick to events that we can really stand a hope in resolving and obtaining irrefutable proof of the actions of those we suspect to be responsible.

Sorry to the OP but I'm just getting sick of being drawn into discussions on subjects like this that belong on 'Ripley's World Of The Strange' or Arthur C Clarke, and no where else!

[edit on 9-12-2008 by Dutty_Rag]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dutty_Rag
Sorry to the OP but I'm just getting sick of being drawn into discussions on subjects like this that belong on 'Ripley's World Of The Strange' or Arthur C Clarke, and no where else!

Mate, just a head's up but your posting on a conspiracy forum, this is the expected type of conversation. If you don't want to read this kind of stuff I suggest you join another forum

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
All due respect pal and not wishing to go off topic, but I joined ATS to promote change and seek the truth. Not indulge myself in fantasy and fairy stories. These kind of 'alien encounters' are great works of fiction and make great films/made for TV docu-dramas - but the truth is far from what is proposed.

There is no credible evidence in this case. I challenge you to give me one piece of evidence that is beyond immediate refute. It's all here-say.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Dutty_Rag

Here is a photo of the object. All the search lights were trained on it and they took pictures while the anti aircraft rounds were hitting the object and exploding. There are plenty of fatasy stories on this forum, but there are a few well documanted accounts of unexplained events. This event is signifigant. How many other times do you get photos from a news source during a sighting?

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The Japs did try and send ballons over to the USA with bombs on them

could it have been that ?

www.bookmice.net...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join