It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Face of the Sphinx was Originally a Lion - Experts Claim

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Hello Everyone,

Here's an intriguing article in the Daily Mail:

How the Great Sphinx of Giza may have started out with the face of a lion thousands of years before the pyramids were built:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Enjoy!

Scott Creighton

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
hy :-)

i posted this before... check it out.. my 3rd post in the thread.. ;-)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nia

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
replie to this:

thoth was an Atlanter, an priest of the egypts..
those words are from the tabula smaragdina, old in stone written words..

Thoth said: he build the sphinx... with the face of a lion...
and
(and this is my favorite point):

with a room under the sphinx..with a spaceship in there.. for the "invasion" which will come...

so what do you think?

is this a mystical-question?
an encounter-question?
or anything else?

Nia

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I think it is blatantly obvious that the head now atop the sphinx used to be that of a lion.

The human head is way too small for the body. Some pharaoh must have decreed it changed into his own image at some stage to exert his authority.

And I also believe it to be a damn site older than the pyramids. It has the marks of water erosion all over it and was probably carved when the whole area was surrounded by lush jungle.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by NW111

Towers on the moon?

How is that a lion?

I believe that it was a lion once upon a time in a land far far away.

I agree with the theory that it was a rock out cropping that had a basic shape of the lion head and ancient man carved out a lions head and then later the body. as time passed and as the Egyptian society grew and advanced it became part of their religious beliefs

No not 10.000 years but older than the pyramids just my opinion.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

you should read what i wrote...

in the 3rd post.. "from earth"

so read and tell me then ok

;-)

Nia

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The assumtion that the shinx was originally a lion is an old one to be honest, the egyptians have been fighting it for MANY years because they would have to admit the "other people" where still there when they came in and that they left them to it and went elsewhere after teaching them.
The sphinx was a representation of the time of Leo as far as anyone can tell ( the dates) and the peoples who where there during the time of Leo were far advanced as to know the solar sytem,astrology and some rather advanced tech that they gave to the egyptians etc. Its been a huge battle for years now because they dont want to admit someone else taught them what they knew then.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

Why does it have to become an arguement over " Other People" Who were " Advanced"

Why cant it just simply be a normal advancement of the native Egyptians who slowly developed over time and FORGOT some their own past and then later a pharoh said carve my face etc.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

Ok, when did the Egyptians come to Egypt and where did they come from and where did the other people that lived there before the Egyptians go?

[edit on 8-12-2008 by Waldy]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
i found this :

www.touregypt.net...

i think its enough to answer your question ;-)

Nia

google is google

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Scott Creighton

Hello Everyone,

This theory is not actually a new one - it was first proposed by Schwaller de Lubicz (pages.zoom.co.uk...) and heavily pushed by the extensive research of rebel Egyptologist, John Anthony West (JAW), back in 1979. It also features heavily in JAW's 1993 Book, Serpent in the Sky.

As for the Sphinx being a lion - I am more inclined to think of it being a lioness in homage to the Anceint Egyptian Goddess, Seshat.

In Egyptian mythology, Seshat (also spelled Safkhet, Sesat, Seshet, Sesheta, and Seshata) was the Ancient Egyptian goddess of wisdom, knowledge, and writing. She was seen as a scribe and record keeper, and her name means she who scrivens (i.e. she who is the scribe), and is credited with inventing writing. She also became identified as the goddess of architecture, astronomy, astrology, building, mathematics, and surveying. These are all professions that relied upon expertise in her skills. She is identified as Safekh-Aubi in some late texts....She frequently is shown dressed in a cheetah or leopard hide, a symbol of funerary priests. If not shown with the hide over a dress, the pattern of the dress is that of the spotted feline. The pattern on the natural hide was thought to represent the stars, being a symbol of eternity, and to be associated with the night sky.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

Regards,

Scott Creighton

[edit on 8/12/2008 by Scott Creighton]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Quite awhile ago, I had seen a documentary about other animals carved out like the lion but were hard to tell anymore. The one was believed to be a camel?

Also, I think we might assume a previous people and culture may have abandoned that area. Such as some might refer to the lion and king david?

No doubt history suggests these had been conquered and run by various people as if to assimilate them etc.?

There's also Sodom And Gomorrah that had some of these carvings of lions etc.

Isn't part of one of the pyramids also suggesting a building within a building as if upgrqaded?

JbT

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scott Creighton
As for the Sphinx being a lion - I am more inclined to think of it being a lioness in homage to the Anceint Egyptian Goddess, Seshat.

What I find interesting about this theory is that, well, it fits to your own Giza Plateau theorys if I remeber correct.

1) Sphinx is thought to be representative of the constellation Leo.

2) Seshat, is known to be a "Scribe".

In the Giza Plateau theory that you talk about Scott, the Sphinx's location is like a marker representing Leo in the Heavens.

Scribes are known to be record keepers, keeping track of importants things, much like the important function of the Sphinx in your theory, I belive being the starting date of the progression of the clock.

Also this quote below fits with my idea above, and with your Giza Plateau function of the Sphinx. Emphasis on her "surveying" traits, as we see on the Giza Plateau her position surveying wise, is VERY important.... Actually all those traits are important in the Giza Plateau theory on one level or another in respect to the Sphinxs location and function in the theory:

She also became identified as the goddess of architecture, astronomy, astrology, building, mathematics, and surveying.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by JbT]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
actually, the face of the Sphinx was never a lion, it was always a woman's...

the word "sphinx" means "to join", and based on the Zodiac, the Great Sphinx symbolized the joining together of Virgo the virgin, and Leo the lion.

there, that's all

EDIT:
to elaborate, i got this from E. W. Bullinger's The Companion Bible, and it says:

Through the "precession of the Equinoxes" the sun gradually shifts its position a little each year, till in about every 2,000 years it begins the year in a different sign. This was foreseen; and it was also foreseen that succeeding generations would not know when or where the sun began its course, and where the Teaching of this Heavenly Book commenced, and where we were to open its first page. Hence the "Sphinx" was invented as a memorial. It had the head of a woman and the body and tail of a lion, to tell us that this Book, written in the Heavens, began with the sign "Virgo", and will end with the sign "Leo". the word "sphinx" is from the Greek sphingo, to join; because it binds together the two ends of this circle of the heavens.

The Companion Bible, Appendix 12 "The Stars Also", p15

[edit on 12-6-2009 by adrenochrome]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

I have heard about the Spinx originally having the face of a lion but in all the reading on the Sphinx, I have never heard of this one. Interesting...I will have to read up on this one now.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The Sphinx has known rooms and passages which were filled with concrete in early restoration.

In addition there is a "anus" room or hole which is still open and has a small diameter tunnel torwards the upward back.

One theory is that small room was used by the Priest to be the "voice" of the Sphinx when it was used fro some type oracle, and that the small diameter hole was a voice echo tube used for the same purpose.

There is also a vertical 15 inch diameter hole going downward in the head of the Sphinx for which the useage is unknown, and it is usually filled with sand, which has been a problem for the Sphinx since discovered by Egyptians onward.

One thing is for certain--much more is known than is being told. Hiawaass or whatever his name is does his best to obscure and dumb down anything that is learned.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
How about this theory--

That the Sphinx was actually a crouching Annubis (dog) guarding Giza.

The meaning of the Sphinx

Not sure I believe it myself- would have to see if there's more evidence to support such an idea, but it does make you wonder...

[edit on 6-7-2009 by PhotonEffect]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

Yes, I recently heard about the anubis theory. I believe it originally had the head of a male lion. At least that's the way he looked when he came to visit.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Scott Creighton

I read the excellent book "Mystery of the Sphinx" by Robert Temple and he concludes that the image was not a lion, but a jackal. The body is much too thin to be a lion, and it does make sense it would be the face of the guardian of the dead.

The book dismisses the idea that the Sphinx is thousands of years older than the pyramids. It is an interesting read, but I disagree on that point and think the Sphinx was built at least 7,000 years ago.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Hello Kidflash,

I have read a number of reviews of Temple's latest book although I have not actually read his book (yet). I do believe he makes an intriguing case although - from what I understand of this latest work - I remain unconvinced.

For me the matter is simple. When you stand down in the Sphinx enclosure you can clearly see that the hind legs, front paws and tail are most definitely feline, NOT canine. Why would a canine creature (Anubis) have the legs, paws and tail of a feline?

To my thinking the body of the Sphinx is most definitely feline. The tail would indicate a female lion or leopard since it does not have the distinctive tussle of hair of the male's tail. This might indicate that the feline Sphinx may have been constructed in homage to the AE Goddess Seshat.

In Egyptian mythology, Seshat (also spelled Safkhet, Sesat, Seshet, Sesheta, and Seshata) was the Ancient Egyptian goddess of wisdom, knowledge, and writing. She was seen as a scribe and record keeper, and her name means she who scrivens (i.e. she who is the scribe), and is credited with inventing writing. She also became identified as the goddess of architecture, astronomy, astrology, building, mathematics, and surveying. These are all professions that relied upon expertise in her skills. She is identified as Safekh-Aubi in some late texts. [1]

Mistress of the House of Books is another title for Seshat, being the deity whose priests oversaw the library in which scrolls of the most important knowledge was assembled and spells were preserved. One prince of the fourth dynasty, Wep-em-nefret, is noted as the Overseer of the Royal Scribes, Priest of Seshat on a slab stela. Heliopolis was the location of her principal sanctuary. She is described as the goddess of history.

In art, she was depicted as a woman, with a stylised papyrus plant above her head. The papyrus symbolised writing because the ancient Egyptians wrote on a material derived from papyrus. The papyrus plant, her symbol, was shown as having six spurs from the tip of the central stem, making it resemble a seven-pointed star. Pharaoh Tuthmosis III (1479-1425 B.C.E.) called her Sefket-Abwy (She of seven points). Spell 10 of the coffin text states "Seshat opens the door of heaven for you", indicating the well known spiritual attributes of cannabis in ancient times.

Usually, she also is shown holding a palm stem, bearing notches to denote the recording of the passage of time, especially for keeping track of the allotment of time for the life of the pharaoh. She also was depicted holding other tools and, often, holding the wound cords that were stretched to survey land and structures.

She frequently is shown dressed in a cheetah or leopard hide, a symbol of funerary priests. If not shown with the hide over a dress, the pattern of the dress is that of the spotted feline. The pattern on the natural hide was thought to represent the stars, being a symbol of eternity, and to be associated with the night sky.

Source.

Best wishes,

Scott Creighton

[edit on 27/8/2009 by Scott Creighton]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join