It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do cops hate skateboarders?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
From one skateboarder to the other, cops hate us because we hate them. It's like Batman Vs. The Joker. It's an endless battle.

Skateboards damage property, you can get hurt on property and sue, and people hate skateboarders. They see negativity in anyone riding a skateboard due to an expulsion decades ago. Skateboards have been deemed transportation of choice by the "surfer type low life's and pot heads".

I have been in trouble with the cops on SEVERAL occasions mostly dealing with skateboarding on private property, skateboarding where it's posted illegal, and destruction of private/government property. Therefor, they stalk you across the entire jurisdiction just hoping to find you doing something illegal.

It is also some kind of game for police to harass young children. They are sick, twisted individuals, and often bullied as a kid. They turn to a gun and a badge to replace their long lost ego, and it makes them feel like a big guy targeting children.

If your smart, stay far away. It will only get worst for you. If you think your safe well, it doesn't matter what the cop does to you as long as it doesn't get caught on tape. Keep that in mind the next time you feel protected by your civil liberties because the police are protected to the fullest extent and fully able to abuse their power.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If skateboarders would use their imagination and wit and do some work, save their money and build their own half pipe in their yard then police officers would love ya. Come on skate boarders you can do that can't you. No more destroying public rails, sidewalks etc... All it takes is hard work and a savings account.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Officer riviera is a gutless PIG who has to verbally abuse chidren to make himself feel like a man. regardless of the offense (hard to tell what happened prior to his arrival) he could have handled it more appropriately if he had sufficeint training, I'm betting that he has received some more training since this video. Actually he will be lucky if he didn't lose his job.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by walkingdeadpatriot

Last I heard, he was dismissed from his job after the incident.

Just a heads up there. I agree, he was completely out of line.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
reply to post by EpicJ19

Please don't get me wrong being a cop does not make one a pig. However I can see the pig in your signature. Respect is earned not demanded PIG

First off, pull your head out of your biassed perceptions. Cops don't hate skateboarders. Though it might be true that police are told to hassel skateboarders. It is only because skateboarders tend to distroy public property trying to do "tricks" to blot their little egos. Grinding the rails, popping the lock and other "tricks" cost money. Do you pay for it? No.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The short answer to the OP.

Skateboarders have been caught on camera using the Anzac memorial in Canberra as a skate ramp.

The group didn't care their skateboards were scratching the monument or that they were being recorded by a television news crew.

Any remaining question why skateboarders have such a bad rep?

The news camera's footage has been given to the police, by request, "to look into prosecutions."

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I find this topic particularly interesting as I spent over a decade riding skateboards and consider it a very formative part of my life.

First off, I don't know anyone who has skated for any length of time that has not had a bad run in with the cops, including those who are respectful to EVERYONE. Once I was riding a sidewalk headed to a bus stop in Charleston, WV and a cop retractable batoned me, cursed me out and dared me too hit him. I just got up once I caught my breath and rode along listening to him use many colorful adjectives. This was definitely not an isolated incident. Everyone I've ever met who has been a lifetime skater has had similar experiences. I even saw a cop hassle a fellow skateboarder while ignoring a drug dealer flagrantly selling drugs on a corner, when you ride a skateboard you are going to be getting a lot of trouble regardless of how you handle yourself. Additionally, all kinds of people WILL threaten you, I rode up to a bus stop once and a lady at the store in front of it threatened to call the cops on me, this was when I was standing waiting on the bus, not riding, not tricks, just standing their holding it. MANY cities and towns do not have skateparks as well, and most that do it is going to cost money to get into. Also, I've never heard of any verifiable lawsuit from a skater falling on private property. The ONLY injury lawsuit I ever heard of I could not verify and truly wonder if it was fabricated.

Many of the skaters I've met grew up in urban environments which gives a radically different view of property. Many of these kids grew up in concrete jungles with NO public property at all. This is something that people from towns or country areas simply do not understand. The simple act of going outside for fresh air is illegal if you stand in one place too long. (loitering) Some places if you try and sit on a corner cause your tired you are ticketed for loitering as well. The concept of PUBLIC PROPERTY is a dying idea in this country. People cry about waxed curbs , worn down planters, paint scraped off rails, kids in the past could simply go into the woods, climb trees and even hang out in groups around town and in parking lots without trouble, not any more. These ideas are being chisseled away. The skateboard is much like a car to many of these kids, they modify them and practice on them religiously and use them as a fun form of transportation. Additionally it is a much less expensive hobby than most, I got started on a used Powell deck for $30.00 bucks and slowly upgraded part by part till I had a sweet rig, to this day you can part by part a board together and never spend more than $50.00 on the most expensive part(the deck, their are some high end bearings that cost more, but there are effective inexpensive substitutes if you don't need the extreme performance).

Skateboarding to me is similar to how surfers described their experience. It is a oneness with nature, the world, the city that I can not describe. You can feel the concrete breath as the carbon monoxide stings your sinus. Meet fun and interesting people and be mistreated by them. A since of freedom that seems to be dying in this country, freedom now means getting daddy government to defend your property from skaters. The idea of sharing or working out a deal where skaters can use it at night when no one is their are dead, places with good stairs, curbs and planters will try and run you off and post signs even when they don't use the property. Closest thing an old time experience of community is skateboarding. You have a busted truck or frozen bearing, one will give you his, you get hurt, skaters you've never met will drop everything to help you. Someone threaten you, they will defend you. People today are less interested in creating a community than keeping kids away from their daddy government authorized property. Every skater will understand this, and every non skater will think these statements are nuts.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
My personal opinion

Why do cops hate skateboarders? becuase everyone single cop without exception is a mindless jerk.

Boo hoo hoo someone ruining a monument!! I guess symbolism means things to some people.

anyway I don't expect anybody to agree with my opinion but there it is in all it's glory.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miishgoos
My personal opinion

Why do cops hate skateboarders? becuase everyone single cop without exception is a mindless jerk.

Boo hoo hoo someone ruining a monument!! I guess symbolism means things to some people.

anyway I don't expect anybody to agree with my opinion but there it is in all it's glory.

Well thats just fine, when your dead and you have a headstone monument I will make sure my grandkid takes his skateboard and does tricks off of it and knocks it over and causes a huge crack right down the middle..Im sure you wont mind, nor your family would mind..they paid for it anyway...doesnt mean anything to you..its just a monument to your life....tho with an attitude like yours..unworthy of it.

Just my opinion...may not agree with it..but there it is...in all its glory.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EpicJ19

It's not a conspiracy, cops hate anyone who looks like a punk, they probably focus on skateboarders when they get really board and can't find any real criminals, besides sometimes I'm sure there looking out for skateboarders informing them on the laws, I used to skateboard and the only thing the cops really did was tell us to leave, but informed us the owners of the property had no insurance if we were to get hurt, they don't want to get sued.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

My personal opinion

ohhh noo you hurt my feelings wahhhh what am I ever going to do now?

but really it's just symbolism so sure feel free to do anything you want with my corpse's grave, I don't think I'll be around to care lol.

but hey that my opinion and nobody else's!!! ya'll have a great day.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Miishgoos]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
where i live, cops really don't care, its the shopkeepers and pedestrians. (and security). they always say goto a skate park. why would i want to go to a skate park? thats where cops are most of the time. and the stuff gets tiresome to skate after a few months. personally, i hate cops. but i understand, some of the time, what they're doing. they just think everybody skating are 'PUNKS' but they ride around on their stupid bikes?

haha 1 time i was getting kicked out of a school and the security came on a moter scooter, he said does this look like a skatepark to you? and i replied..does this look like a moter scooter park to you?

i would have left if he wasn't being a hipocrit..

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by walkingdeadpatriot

I know how long ago you posted that, but we do pay for it with tax money.... just sayin'

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join