It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California residents trade guns for groceries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

California residents trade guns for groceries

www.msnbc.msn.com

LOS ANGELES - A program to exchange guns for gifts has brought in a record number of weapons this year as residents hit hard by the economy look under the bed and in closets to find items to trade for groceries

In years past, Target and Best Buy were the cards of choice, with residents wanting presents for the holidays.

This year, most asked for the supermarket cards, said sheriff's Sgt. Byron Woods.

"People just don't have the money to buy the food these days," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.northcountrygazette.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Ohio: Hungry? Turn In Your Guns, Get Food
St. Louis police will have gun buy-back program after all

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
the disarming continues it seems.

i still dont understand why people wouldnt sell these firearms in the paper or to a dealer, even the crappiest handguns you can find are worth more that 50 bucks.

heres another quote from the article i find troubling and it seems law enforcement is pouncing on..

Woods said most of the residents who turned in weapons were "family people."

"One guy said he had just got laid off from his job," Woods said. "He turned in five guns and said it would really help him to put food on the family's table."

i hope he has a firearm left that he can defend his family from all the thugs who mysteriously DIDNT turn in their guns...

be sure and check the related threads, this seems to be gaining momentum

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
They were puling this crap in Ohio last week, werent they?

I wonder if there are any little legal catches that would prevent somebody just going to where the "buyback" (wouldnt buyback imply the cops owned them previously?) is being held and making offers on the firearms. It would be a perfectly legitimate FTF transaction, wouldnt it? Hey, nice rifle. You want $60 cash? Why not, right?

If the cops can profit from a bunch of gun-ignorants why cant you or I?

Oh, they have all the guns, prisons and assumed 'authority.' I forgot.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry to much about these so called "buy back" programs. Mostly what they get is stolen firearms that can't be sold to a dealer or broken / old firearms. (which is a good thing when it comes to junkies / criminals with stolen crap)

I notice one of these is 200 bucks instead of the usual 100 bucks.... hell I would ditch 3 crappy old .22s I have for that! Hell, Could make a run to Bass Pro and pick up some of those mossburg plinksters for $100 bucks each and take em to the exchange! Could make a good profit (can always use a giftcard and save the cash I would spend to buy some QUALITY firearms!)

LOL.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by infolurker]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I wish folks in Florida would start trading guns for groceries.

Nah. The folks in Florida aren't that stupid. Leave it to California.

top topics

join