It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Anyone Tell Me Anything About This Tea Kettle?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Ok, i got this at a yard sale and its really intriguing me.

I hope i can upload the picture, i dont know why i'm having trouble lately on this computer, but its worth a try.

[ats][\]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6246/007zj2.jpg[/ats]

Its cast iron, is in the shape of an octagon, has 8 legs and each panel has a Chinese picture with a protective shield, paper with paintings inside is very old and yellow....

Anyone??

Thank you. Oh and the bottom has what looks like Chinese symbols as well as one of the sides also.

Am i rich?????

Please dont let this thread die. We must have some experts here- I really just want to know the period it might be from.

D$G$

[edit on 7-12-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Well I can tell you that you need to post the marking on the bottom of the kettle. It does look old, but the Chinese mass produced tea kettles for the English as souvenirs. So you might have a very old mass produced tea kettle. it might be worth a little or a lot. But the marking on the bottom will tell you and us more than the kettle itself.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I cant help. but it looks very beautiful... definitely keep hold of it, maybe try and do some research on the net?.... hope your rich!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Thanks, guys!

I will post the bottom of it tomorrow, maybe someone here will know, it does look like Chinese.

My cheap little camera doesnt have flash and its nightime here.

Thank you for trying, though.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Isis Is I

I have spent days looking and there is nothing similar out there at all- nothing i can find.

Thank you, i love it too. I have it sitting by the fireplace.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Anyone else out there who knows, i would invite you to become a member and please tell me anything about this kettle.

I'm just kidding about becoming rich with it, but its driving me nuts not knowing even what period it could be from???

Thank you!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
My guess is Japanese, 19th Century ( or a reproduction of ) and if genuine worth about 250 USD or more for the paintings (if wax coated).

The Chinese weren't really that big on ornate cast iron tea pots, though they really did amazing things with porcelain/cast iron and porcelains in general.

The Japanese were very skilled with irons and other ore.

Will be looking forward to the pic of the stamp.

The petina on the metal doesn't show up very well though. It seems to be a bit glossy still which means it may be a pewter mix or a reproduction. Still a reproduction can be valuable as well

Iron should have rust especially inside and a bit rough or pocked...not totally smooth or polished (aside from the handle which would rarely come in contact with heat or water). The technology they had back in the day wasn't what it is now and the iron was worked by hand. Iron wears noticeably over time and with use as well. If this was used as a ceremonial or ornate vestibule rather than a functional stove top pot it may explain the lack of heat/water corrosion. (this is likely)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I can totally relate, id be desperate to know its history too... think it would have to be worth a fair bit before i part with it, its definitely a beauty!

Shame you couldnt find anything on the net, that could be good or bad news!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Just Generic!

Thank you so much. Someone else said it could be Japanese- probably is

I dont think its something which was used daily but more ornate.

I really appreciate your imput and i will still get that imprint on the bottom of it, somebody might be able to tell what it says.

Thanks again!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I forgot i had this one side of it with the symbols.

Now, what the heck does that mean???

These are where the spout is.

The bottom picture tomorrow.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Oh yes thats definitely chinese or japanese... i found this one, and although at first glance it doesnt look like yours, i think they have similarities when it comes to the detail. This one is chinese...

www.dargate.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
NICE!!!!

I don't think that's a reproduction. If you can get more pictures and send them to Petrie Rogers eMail website : Petrie Rogers Website I am betting they can locate the Artist and era PDQ for you.

Then you can do more research and get a formal appraisal for it. (Always do some research BEFORE an appraisal
they tend to with hold info)

Nice find...it cost you about 20 bucks yes?

A close up of the paintings too...the Japanese used to use a soaking technique with wax to protect functional painted (paper)art. If the paintings are one of a kinds or original to the era that could bump the value by another 200+ USD.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Isis Is I

Bless you, you're a sweetie for taking your time and helping me out. Wow, that one is really something!!

I never thought i'd spend my evenings looking for a tea kettle

I appreciate your help very much.

So, we know its Japanese or Chinese. Now i need to find out what those symbols mean.

Thank you so much.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by justgeneric

Wow! Thank you and i will definatly go to that website and have them check it out!!!

You people are incredible!!

I'm getting real excited here.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The writing is definitely Japanese. If it's a signature it may take some time to find the right characters to compare it to. See what I can find.
Searching for 19th century Japanese characters and numbers is hit and miss with google

The left is a name and the right is a number (I think). Sheesh with so much crap on the internet you'd think it'd be easier to find late 19th century characters???

[edit on 12/7/2008 by justgeneric]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
How cool is that a name and a number.....

Hey, did i tell you guys i paid $2 for it?

Anyway, still working on it.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The problem I am having with the stamp is that there are several different types of japanese characters. It has evolved and simplified since the the early 17th century.

I had thought it was alpha numeric...but I really think it's province stamp with an artist/forger's name.

The characters are definitely Japanese.

The only clear matches I can make so far are on the right glyphs:

the single line=ichi or #1 (could also be a visual pause depending on the thickness and slant of the line in which case it holds no sound just a place)

the single square glyph=ro

The square with the + in it looks like yo or eyo. Is male and at any rate has a long O .

Not that this helps really but it's kinda fascinating. (If only for me LOL)

Thanks for the mental excursion DG.

ONLY $2.00!!!! NICE...I think you made a good investment it's a lovely tea pot regardless of $$$. But $$$ is always helpful and nice

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Petrie Rogers email to me:
Dear ----

Your tea kettle is Chinese. I can’t tell for certain but it appears to have some age and could date from the early 20th century to possibly late 19th. I have not sold one of these before, so I am not sure of the value. I hope this is helpful.

Best Regards,

Laurie Petrie Rogers

At least now we know its chinese, I think its strange that nobody seems to have seen one before.....
I've emailed other Auction houses and they think its Japanese and they are NOT familiar with it either...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The mystery deepens

The writing is Japanese. But could it be that it was reworked to add the panels and pictures later on? That could add some conflict as to it's origin.

Damn too bad the Antiques Road Show isn't around when you need em !

Might just be worth it to spend 50 bucks and have it appraised. Let the appraisers do the homework
They have access to a wider selection of catalogs and resources than even google has LOL.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
JG,

I know:bnghd:

Well you had more info than they did. Again...

I am going to end up having to pay $45 the next town over and wouldnt it be sad if they said it was worth $45??????

Oh well, maybe in the meantime there will be a Worthologist (ha ha ha) sign up on BTS and give me the price of the darn thing.

new topics

top topics

join