It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nukes in US detectable?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Hello ATS, quick question for you. I was recently informed by someone I consider 'in the know' that terrorists would be hard pressed to smuggle a nuclear device or material into the country without being detected. Apparently, the DoE is actually pretty on top of this. Is there any merit to this claim? I thought nuclear material could be shielded from detection but this ol' boy does not seem to think so. What are your thoughts?

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Raustin]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Hi Raustin, i dont know how tight it is on your borders but this article suggests that "terrorists" have already got the Nukes into the US. I say "terrorists" because i really dont know who that refers to these days, esp if the DOE say they would not let nukes get past them.
www.wnd.com...

[edit on 7-12-2008 by cropmuncher]

[edit on 7-12-2008 by cropmuncher]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It depends on several factors. Smuggling material not too much of a problem, smuggling a bomb, larger problems but not insurmountable.

DoD, DHS, and DoE are all involved with this. Shipping containers with material is what you would normally read or hear about. Only 5% or so are inspected and this is a concern.

Many smugglers with small amounts of material is a much larger concern. These can cross the border virtually everywhere and then meet somewhere or several somewheres.

There are several NEST's (Nuclear Emergency Support Team) around the country available at a fairly short notice. These teams have access to very specialized equipment that survey large areas from helicopters and small planes.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the government yet about protection from a dirty bomb attack or even a small tactical bomb.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

I live within 15 miles of the Long Beach Harbor and despite this:

The toll booth-like devices already have been installed at the 22 largest seaports in the United States, which account for 98 percent of all container cargo coming into the country, Hoffman said.

Source

I'm still stressed....

The LB Port has yet to get one, unless an update is out there, which I will search for...not too mention that they haven't installed a radiation portal in every Port yet - and I am sure that information is easily attainable (assumption here)...

I also came to the sick conclusion that the West Coast will be hit next just to show 'their' reach...let's hope chappy is wrong big time...

content edit!

[edit on 12/7/2008 by chapter29]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Chapter 29, I live on the West coast and am also a little afraid this is going to happen. One of the reasons for my post involved an incident about a year ago that almost made me poo myself. I was doing a security audit at a store near the Port of Seattle and they evacuated a few buildings on the suspicion there was something in one of the containers. I spent the rest of the day wondering if I was going to be vaporized. Not fun.

I was under the impression that there were sensors that were not known to the public that could pick up traces of nuclear material. How would they shield against this? Lead containers or something? Thanks for the posts guys, I would appreciate some more input.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
DHS is working closely to inspect the containers in China and other Asian ports before shipment to the USA. The detectors at the ports are great for picking up radiation from dishes or imported stones. But a shielded container would hide the isotope signatures of materials if someone was really serious about this.

This only applies if the person, group, or nation wanted the container removed from the boat. A container on a boat that is detonated would destroy the harbor for any further use. Before the onshore sensors are ever in play.

This is why DHS wants to inspect containers off shore instead of finding the material in the port.

They are using a RFID system of locks on inspected containers for security. These are, in theory, 100% fool proof; it only takes 1 time to not be 100% foolproof.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
A container on a boat that is detonated would destroy the harbor for any further use. Before the onshore sensors are ever in play.

This is why DHS wants to inspect containers off shore instead of finding the material in the port.

"A container on a boat..."

Not On a boat, but Under one!

Utilize the bulk of the metal hull and seawater to shield the device from radiation sensors.

Perhaps you could even arrange to have the ship carry a load of kitty litter or bananas to "mask" the leakage even futher.

For an Aerial assult, use high altitude helium balloons with a GPS-controlled release system. A knowledge of meteorolgy could allow you to drop a 1-2 ton payload (weight of the device, not its yeild)on a number of coastal cities while safely offshore.

Fly high enough, 80,000-100,00 feet, and you'd likely avoid detection or interdiction.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I would like to pose one question.

If it's so easy to detect these nuclear weapons and or material then why have the Americans alone 'lost' about 40 of them? (some of them literally 'ready to go boom'!)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
If it's so easy to detect these nuclear weapons and or material then why have the Americans alone 'lost' about 40 of them? (some of them literally 'ready to go boom'!)

I know quite a few have been lost. But from what I've read, there are numerous safeguards in place to prevent accidental discharge. You could drop a bomb or missile warhead off a tall building, and if had not been properly armed, the worst that would happen is the HE would go off, and scatter fissile material, but there would not be a nuclear yield. The way they're designed makes it virtually impossible.

Although in the book "Exempt From Disclosure" a seemingly credible source states there used to be an area on old maps of the NTTR (Nevada Test & Training Range) warning people of high radiation in areas where there had been nuclear accidents back in the 1950s.

Regarding detection, I do not trust that the govt is on top of it. Maybe in cities like NYC or DC, there are early warning detectors, and it would be easy to triangulate the source. But as far as smuggling one inside the country to begin with, I think it would be quite easy. I think the emphasis is on preventing the wrong people from getting one to begin with, not stopping them from coming in once they've got it.

new topics

top topics

join