It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Serious Warnings* Alert * Earthquake* Postings* Please Read*

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

well thats good that we agree people should always be ready for the unexpected. and I agree that I don't put much faith behind the webbot program predicting a quake somewhere along the New Madrid fault and most people only look and see strange acts by animals usually after someone has mentioned it. I know you are wanting to Claim this is paranoia But i would give the OP longer than the OP dec 16 for something to happen. What would it hurt to allow until closer to the end of the month to see if something happens. and in the Mean time the OP agrees to tone down their zeal a little bit to get the warning out?

However i did participate in the *alert* thread and shared my observations here were i live. I made those observations before i even came on ATS and seen any thread dealing with an earthquake so i fall outside of the bunch of people that noticed strange animal acts after the fact. so that kind of blows your theory out of the water on people just noticing it after reading the OP's prediction thread.

But since i live in the New Madrid fault zone and i know most of the history in this area. when i see animals acting strange it sets off alarm bells for me. i have lived in this area for 28 years and have never seen the animals act like they did in my post on the alert thread.

Like i said earlier New Madrid is due for another big quake. maybe not as big as the 8.0 quake in 1812. since they are predicted to happen only 250-400 years. But maybe something in the range of 5.0 to 7.0.

BUt i have to admit and i did admit in the alert thread I can't say for any certainy that the strange animal behaviour i've noticed is because they are feeling warnings of a quake, or if its the crazy weather we are having the last couple years and especially this year that is messing with them.

now as for the history of the New Madrid quake. most people only know about the 8.0 quake that happened in Feb.7, 1812. they don't know that before that quake there was 3 other quakes. 2 on dec 16,1811 and 1 Jan 23,1812. and the after shocks of the feb 1812 quake lasted through the winter of 1812. the records from back then say there was 2,000 earthquakes before the end of winter in 1812.

So what say you Tesla? given my post just now with the history of the quakes in this area, my seeing strange animal acts before even seeing a prediction thread, and a past history of action in Dec.

Can you hold in your zeal to prove the OP wrong until towards the end of the month. then you are more then welcome to say whatever you want about the prediction?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
reply to post by themamayada

you hit the nail on the head.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Tesla, you'd better get on the phone and start calling Midwest governors demanding they apologize for being a liar.

Apparently, Arkansas agrees with the OP. And considering the fiscal problems facing most states, this is pretty big news to pull that kind of money out of capital facilities budgets:

Friday, the governor released $300,000 for equipment to monitor this seismic activity. The $300,000 comes from general improvement funds.

In just the past month, these are all of the areas in Arkansas hit by small earthquakes.

"It's uncommon. I haven't observed so many earthquakes in a short period of time, and in high concentrated area," Dr. Haydar Al-Shukri with the UALR Earthquake Center said.

Al-Shukri with the UALR earthquake center says the need for equipment to monitor this activity is necessary. Since all of these areas aren't on the New Madrid fault, seismologists wonder what's causing all of the movement.

Linky

Study outlines nightmare scenario for Bootheel in case of major New Madrid quake

Kennett Fire Chief John Mallot gave some insight as to what Kennett and Dunklin County should look forward to in the event of an earthquake. . .

He also mentioned that people should prepare to be without federal help for up to two weeks.

Linky

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Hi OP,
I've been a member here for a bit, but this is the first time I've ever posted. I wanted to let you know that I appreciate what you're doing here. It takes some guts to put your reputation on the line and go out on a limb as you have. I've starred and flagged this thread.

I live in Eastern Iowa, along Mississippi River - the only place where the Mississippi runs East to West instead of North to South. I've definitely noticed some very odd things here for several weeks, although until I started thinking about earthquakes, I put them down to the general weirdness that seems to go along with our changing climate. Some of them can't really be explained away like that, though. For instance, I've seen a great number of hawks on the ground, walking about and pecking at the ground for food - never seen that before in my life. Also, we still have quite a few robins here in the second week of December! The migrating geese are confused and seem to be flying randomly back and forth, and I've seen normally docile farm animals charging at their fences and getting themselves tangled up. Our neighbor's dog (a pit bull) has suddenly taken to howling and cowering as if terrified, and creeps along the ground as if he's been beaten, when I know for certain that he has not - he's adored and spoiled rotten. My kids' pet rabbit has stopped doing binkies and will now sit and thump for hours in her cage and make whimpery noises in ther throat. Even our semi-tame squirrels, who normally will come around every day for peanuts, are jittery and strange. As well, two local creeks have dropped their level significantly in the last week. One night around midnight, the sky was lit all the way across the southern horizon with a bright orange glow beneath the clouds, as if it were on fire. I thought for certain I'd see a news story about it the next day, but there was nothing. Strange goings-on.

I went to grad school in Missouri way back when, and we had a couple of scares when pseudo-scientific quacks would predict New Madrid quakes, but nothing ever came of them. This feels different somehow. On a completely unscientific level, I am an intuitive, and have dreamt of a powerful quake on and off for the last year or so. Could mean something, or could be too much pizza before bed.
I'm hoping for the latter. Still, I appreciate your efforts. The maps, in particular, are startling and thought provoking. Thanks for taking the time to put your info together.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
reply to post by Mikey2448

well thank you for reading all my posts

/end sarcasm

i have given my opinion on both of those things and if you care to read it

it was on the bottom of the first page. and this is ATS where everyone is allowed to deny ignorance and i chose to do that. with logic evidence as well as past experience.

feel free to do what you wish.

That is fine, and we all should have that in us, but do you have to do it in the manner that Cbass was known for? As delicate as a sledgehammer tooth extraction.

His constant requests for apology from an OP regarding topics he disagreed with, got tired very fast. His self assumed role as ATS subjugator was good for comedic merit at first, but also fell short of worth after about the umpteenth post.

I am not aware of how or why, but you'll notice that he is now banned, and I don't think it was his charming demeanor when relaying his discontent with an idea that he disagreed with...

Food for thought.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I just want to say thank you to the OP for such well put together research. Great job! And I agree with some of the other posters, here, ignore the smart a$$ commentators. I skipped over them, because I'm reading this post for information and to me, those are a waste of my time, and a waste of space here. It sounds like grade school antics to me.
I have a couple of questions.
First of all, I live 90 miles due west of St. Louis, right on the I-44 corridor.
IF and when this earthquake happens, which yes, we all know is inevitable, what would you suspect the damage to be in my area? I know that's almost impossible to predict, but I'm not so educated on the New Madrid fault, as it was just something I never chose to study.
What are some tips to stay safe? Ive never really experienced an earthquake, as we are just survivors of tornadoes in this area
. Ask me about those, and I can write a novel! I live in a single story dwelling, are these considered safe? Should you leave your house? I dont know, I guess I have alot of questions. Also, since the area I live in is abundant in caves, which I probably live on top of one, would the ground actually cave in?
I'm also aware that the USGS has been doing extensive studies in this area for the past year. Taking samples from the local caves, cliffs, soil, etc. as there has been above normal "activity" in the area. We did have an earthquake in spring here,, but honestly I didnt feel it.
About the animal activity, I havent heard birds since summer. That's something I remarked on back in October. Strange not to hear birds in the morning. Also, I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but I talked to a friend just the other day about this. For the past month, Ive just had this anxiety, fear, weird feeling that something is going to happen. Like anticipation, uneasy feeling.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I'll add my appreciation for the OP too. I don't live in the U.S but the level of research and detail that has gone into this, whether you agree with the theories or not, takes some dedication and intelligent thought, which is something I appreciate.

I've also been interested in animal behavior prior to EQ's, there is indeed a lot of evidence to suggest odd behavior prior to events, and plenty of witnesses too.

I wasn't aware of behavior being seen more than a few minutes or an hour before an EQ though, so that part of the discussion is very interesting.

As for Webbot, this is a new concept for me. I understand the idea behind it, but I haven't yet seen enough evidence to support the claims. Perhaps I haven't followed the right links yet.

It's a very interesting topic, so thanks again OP.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

I can answer some of your questions about what can be expected if there is a quake on the new madrid fault.

Damage would be wide spread if we received an 8.0 like they did in 1812. houses and building would be leveled for several hundred miles away from the epicenter. Gas and water mains would break so you more than likely will not have running water. and with the gas mains broken there will be a high risk of explosions. electric, phone and cable lines will be down. cell, radio, and tv towers might collapse due to the shaking.

None of the houses or buildings around this area have been built to withstand an earthquake. the new buildings and houses are designed to withstand tornado strength winds but not violent ground shaking.

as for the make up of the ground in the area i honestly can't answer you on what to expect with that. I live farther down I-44 from you And i know they are saying for here to expect major cracks in the ground and sink holes. I live in Joplin and back in the day it was a mining town. so under me is miles and miles of mine shafts If a quake was to occur the shafts would collapse and anything above them would fall into the voids left by the shaft collapses.

If you feel a quake in our area. you are safer in the house! even though they aren't designed to withstand earthquakes. just get under a heavy sturdy object and hold on until the quake stops. then get out of the house. If your house collapses around you don't panic. try to find a way out if you can if not make a lot of noise so people outside can hear you, I promise people that are outside will dig you out!

edit to add: they are saying to have enough food and water stocked up to last 2 weeks. If a major earthquake did hit our area it could be that long or longer before we see help from the outside world.

Also as for damage, the last major quake on the new madrid fault was back in 1812 and back then this area wasn't very populated but the quake reversed the flow of the Mississippi river for several minutes, changed the course the river took to the Gulf and knocked down a lot of trees.

[edit on 12/8/2008 by Mercenary2007]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

Forgive my ignorance, so it really is like Hollywood, and the ground opens up? Interesting.
I guess here in Rolla, we are lucky not to have any really huge buildings in that aspect.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

depending on how strong the quake is and just how close the epicenter actually is to us yes we could see the ground open up like we see in hollywood movies. Have you watched some of the news footage from Cali after the have a quake? What we could see would be worse than most of their quakes, Since houses and building aren't built to withstand earthquakes. Major earthquakes just don't happen here enough to justify building structures to withstand them.

Yeah both Rolla and Joplin are lucky to not have those bigger buildings like the bigger cities.

it doesn't hurt to ask questions if you don't know what to expect and it doesn't hurt to be prepared for a quake in this area.

But predictions about New Madrid come and go. yes we are due for a major quake, but a quake around the order of 8.0 like they got in 1812 is predicted to happen every 250-400 years so i doubt we a massive quake like that in our life time. but it is possible we'll see a major quake 4.0-6.0 on the Richter scale.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

I suppose I need to get out of Photoshop for awhile and look at some earthquake sites..lol..thanks for all the info

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Well done on the information gathered. I think you did a realy good job of putting it together and trying to educate people on what might happen, I don't think you did it just to scare people as some people suggested.

Just shows there are people still out there, no matter where they are in the world who can get together and help one another even though they don't know eachothers background or whatever. That on its own deserves a star and flag.

I have been waiting for some information on this since the first predictions came about back in september. I have to say, and i don't feel silly saying so, that i really am quite scared for these people. If these reports about the animals etc are real then i honestly do believe somthing big is going to go down.

And if it does? Well all them web bot skeptics along with myself are gonna be pretty downhearted to say the least waiting for the events of the next year to happen......

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Reading this thread reminds me of the mass hysteria phenomena where people convince themselves something is real. The group dynamics is such that everyone is "looking" for signs that something is going to happen and its a positive cycle of reinforcement that feeds off itself.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

Skeptics always have wanted 'proof' of something or other throughout history. Don't worry. We need skeptics in the world so that we who think intelligently, question logically and reason soundly can hopefully rise above their smallmindedness to a higher state/place.
Did N. Tesla know that scientists were baffled at the lack of dead animals in the aftermath of the huge Indonesian Tsunami? Upon research it was determined that all untethered animals 'headed for higher ground' somehow 'knowing/sensing' that an earthquake was going to strike. Animals DO have innate sensing mechanisms that cannot be pulled out and placed in one's hand to touch, see and feel .... I guess then by N. Tesla's reasoning that amounts to NO proof?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingtree
Well I can't wait for these Earthquakes NOT to happen. Honestly how much more true can the "dustbin of history get?" If you don't remember it it's bound to repeat itself. Webots...really? I remember back in October webots were predicting something along the lines of a complete stock market crash. And while the stock market was down the webot was peaking on a certain day and predicting something really bad. Some of you read it so many different ways.
Eventually that day came and nothing happened I even think that the stock markets made slight gains on the day predicted...Many of you were so quick to forget that yet now you believe in this. It truly proves that humans nothing more want to see the destruction of themselves. You guys need to get a life.

Just to let you know, an analyst last week released a report: since the beginning of Oct. 7th-10) start - the U.S. citizens and economy has lost
9 trillion dollars! Yep you and I and all the various business have LOST that much. I don't know about you, but I think that is signifcant. Yes there are bounces and there still will be, but ...do the bounces EVER get above where we started in the first place?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Star for ya! Good job and thanks for your effort.

I'd like to point you all now to this AWESOME plugin
for your FireFox browser. It's an Earthquake add-on.

You can get it here: addons.mozilla.org...

Earthquake Information in a few clicks.

You'll all love it! I don't think there is a IE version.
but then, who's still using IE?

Enjoy!
Render

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bpg131313

Originally posted by rustywhite1
Here's another thing.
Be a scientist for a moment.
WE know there are eathquakes.
We know there are tsunamis.
We know there are tornados.
We know there are asteroids/meterites/etc. that hit.
We KNOW in our lifetime, there are actually volcanos that explode.
We know there are hurricanes.

We do we act so astonished when they hit?
Especially if we are personally effected by them?

Did anyone here personally experience Mt. ST. Helens?

just my stupid humble opinion.

Yes, actually I did get to enjoy the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. I was just a kid then and had watched the movie "The Exorcist" the night before with my cousins. We were absolutely terrified when we woke up to the bed shaking! I've experienced earthquakes as well. If something does happen on the dates indicated, it'll make for one of the most un-fun holiday seasons in our history.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by bpg131313]

I have laughing very hard over your post!!

I am imagining what that must have been like, as a kid - watching one of the freakist movies of all time and then that night having you bed shake!!

Thank you for this post!! You have given me a great moment in laughter, in fact it is hard for me to stop laughing at this moment! Sorry, not meaning to laugh at your expense, but man - that would Freak me out - if that happened to me - after watching THAT movie!

Love the post!

[edit on 8-12-2008 by questioningall]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Hello, Just rplying to your blog thing you wrote. My dog has been acting really strange aswell! But its not just that the other day i saw a herd mof birds flying through the sky like in the day after tomorrow. The clouds look dirty and everyones going mad! HELP!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Hi questioningall, I have been reading your threads here, and even posted on one. I really hope there is no earthquake, and I hope that the webbot predictions is wrong! I think it would be horrible to wake up and find out that 300,000 people are dead or missing, and i agree it would hurt everyone! Families, loved ones and friends would be gone. One thing I have to say is i have learned something and I think that's all that really matters, I have personally never been in an earthquake and i hope i never have to feel one in my lifetime, but at least i know what to do! So thank you for posting all this information, and again lets all hope this doesn't happen!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingtree

So why the hell are you an ATS member if your a hater of all subjects discussed, clearly you too have a curiosity and desire for knowledge, dont be so sceptical rookie!! this site is for sharing knowledge and guiding people who wish to investigate or research further stange goings on. your whole first post had no relevance other than i wont be doing this and i wont be doing that, well why you a member then? what do you believe? go back to your glass box then and check out the tv listings guide for december if you want to know what the future holds, as this site may be a little to real for your tiny brain.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join