It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirates fire on Dutch ship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Pirates fire on Dutch ship

www.news.com.au

The fresh attack yesterday came as the European Union prepared to launch its first-ever naval operation, patrolling pirate-infested seas near the Horn of Africa with six warships and three surveillance planes.

"Pirates believed to be from Somalia fired semi-automatic weapons and fired a rocket from a RPG at the Dutch-operated vessel," said Noel Choong, head of the International Maritime Bureau piracy reporting centre in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It seems the pirates are ONCE again at it, when will this stop?
Every time I hear about another pirate attack it's worse then the last.
I'm sure that next time it's going to be even worse, especially if the pirates target civilian vessels.
They obviously have sufficient weaponry at their hands to cause alot of trouble.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I am at a loss to understand why these pirate frigates are not sunk as soon as they are identified?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WishForWings
It seems the pirates are ONCE again at it, when will this stop?

Unless the underlying political and poverty/social situation in Somalia is addressed it is never going to stop. Most of these pirates are ex-farmers. The situation in Somalia is beyond desperate and thus people are taking to desperate measures. I wish this was recognized, but as usual, people are focusing on the affect rather than the cause.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I'm sure frightening ships out of Somalian waters won't help boost it's economy or benefit it's people.
Stealing some food and some water would seem enough, I wonder who is behind this. Greedy African tyrant? I think so.

[edit on 7/12/08 by WishForWings]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by WishForWings

Piracy is symptomatic of many causes, mostly as a resort to economic strife.
I refer you a Live Piracy Map.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
They will stop when they are dead and can no longer attack the merchant vessels and cruise ships.

Put small units of mercenaries on board each vessel entering that area and this problem will be over by tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I wish this was recognized, but as usual, people are focusing on the affect rather than the cause.

The cause does not justify the activity.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
The cause does not justify the activity.

It must be nice to be able to make that determination from the comfort of your seat.
I assume you're not typing from Somalia.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
Put small units of mercenaries on board each vessel entering that area and this problem will be over by tomorrow.

Too bad that would be illegal and would involve ALOT of paperwork and some good lawyers for almost every country the vessels would travel to.

[edit on 7/12/08 by WishForWings]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

It must be nice to be able to make that determination from the comfort of your seat.
I assume you're not typing from Somalia.

Nor a ship under pirate attack, a place where the determination is even easier. Murder, kidnapping and theft are justifiable under the current Somali circumstances?

Perhaps they should hang a fishing line from that RPG first eh?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

Except that the question at hand was not "should piracy be tolerated/accepted/legal/moral, etc.?"
It was "when is it going to stop?"

new topics

top topics

join