It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Geminids meteor shower 2008

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Thanks CHUD!!! Happy viewing! ^-^

~~~~You see no one line herer~~~~

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by unknownfrost

You're welcome unknownfrost.

Edit to add: here's a list of the bigger showers during the year that's a little easier to look at and digest than the ones I posted earlier: www.space.com...

Of course, keep an eye on this forum for info on the main showers of the year as they come up. I'll be aiming to make posts before hand on the: Quadrantids, Eta-Aquarids, Lyrids, Perseids, Orionids, Leonids, Geminids, and any other showers that ar predicted to produce above normal activity.

-----------------------------------

Update

Joe Rao, who is one of the leading researchers in the field, has recommended also observing after dark on the 14th.

In my Night Sky column on SPACE.com this coming Friday, I suggest viewers try for some Geminid Earthgrazers on Sunday night (in the short window of dark sky between the end of evening twilight and moonrise). Traditionally, the brightest Geminids tend to appear during and just after the peak, so Sunday evening . . . which is only hours after the peak . . . is a good time to try and see a "skimmer" or two.

Source: METEOROBS

On another note, I saw my first Geminids of the year last night! Mostly unimpressive meteors, but one was quite bright and very pretty! Not bad for 45 mins casual observing from a window! Tonight is looking like it could be quite clear too - I just hope it stays this way for the weekend!

[edit on 10-12-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Thanks for the tip, I was going to go out tonight to check for any activity, but the cloud's covering the moon completely at the moment, so I don't expect to see anything tonight unless it shifts

Always tomorrow though

new topics

<< 1   >>

join