It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favourite UK myth/Legend - is it on the list?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I got to thinking about all the diffrent myths and legends that we have in the UK and thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to put a list of them together. I mean i know a few, but i am aure there are many i am unaware of myself as i am still finding stuff all the time. The greatr thing about being in the UK is there is that it doesn't take much to visit these places if you wish to as the UK is relativley small. I will list the myth/Legen and the location it relates to and also a link to some background info to support that the myth or legend actually exist and is not a hoax. As i said i will not know too many myself so i will start things off but please add your own findings or improve on mine:

Mother Shipton and the petrfying well - Knaresborough:
www.mothershiptonscave.com...

Wookey Witch - Wookey Hole, Somerset:
www.wookey.co.uk...
www.visitbritain.com...

Cheddar man/caves - Cheddar Gorge - Somerset:
www.cheddarcaves.co.uk...

King Arthur/Glastonbury Tor - Glastonbury Someset
www.glastonburyabbey.com...
www.glastonburyabbey.com...

Julians Bower - Alkborough, Lincolnshire
www.stone-circles.org.uk...

Fonaby Stone - caistor, Linconshire
www.megalithic.co.uk...
www.themodernantiquarian.com...
www.druidorder.co.uk... (Scroll to bottom)

stone dragon - dragonby, lincolnshire:
www.themodernantiquarian.com...

The Monk Of thornton Abbey - Lincolnshire:
www.hauntedplaces.co.uk...
mythandlegends.com...
www.english-heritage.org.uk...
Other myths are that of underground tunnels which are supposed to lead to Lincoln Cathedral. I went with a group of friends one night when i was younger and was 'dared' to go down the staircase of one of the ruins in the grounds - i did and was disapointed to find that once i reached the bottom the reast of the room was sealed off/bricked up.

Lincoln Imp and Lincoln Cathedral:
www.bbc.co.uk...
www.historic-uk.com...

St George - England:
www.bbc.co.uk...

I'll be back with more later..........

[edit on 7-12-2008 by MCoG1980]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Very interesting topic I will be adding some too! I love this kind of thing,

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Me and my daughter go ghost hunting on a regular basis.One site we've been checking out lately is a hell hound with red glowing eyes that appears on the road to appletreewick,which is awfully close to menwith hill.apparently Sir arthur conan doyle based his novel "the hound of the baskervilles" on this story.So far no luck but it's always fun getting stopped by the security at menwith!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by uk today

Ah another Urban Myth in the making, in Clyro (near Hay-On-Wye, on the England/ Wales border) is a hotel called the Baskerville Arms, guess what the local claim to fame is.....

what about
Avebury,
www.sacredsites.com...

Nessie
www.nessie.co.uk...

Great idea for a thread

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The beast of Bodmin Moor....
en.wikipedia.org...

scared me enough as a young'un, that i didn't wanna go on the moors...

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
my favourite uk myth/legend is the loch ness monster, the cornish flying owl man, spring heeled jack.
if you would like to talk about more paranormal things then go to my new thread, do you believe in the paranormal?.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The elusive mythological wild black dogs. I've been lucky enough to see one of these, when i was 20 years old 18 years ago. I'd been reading about them in books and started to believe in them, but most of the stories i read where not too good, attacks on people, cattle and stuff, so i tended to believe not all of them where a nuisance or violent towards people.
A few weeks later i was on my driving test examination, whilst driving towards my home on a busy road the examiner told me when he slams his paperwork on the dashboard he wants me to perform an emergency stop, i nodded and said OK, then saw a black dog sitting on the pavement outside my home. It was a short haired, scruffy old looking Labrador like breed, it looked like a mongrel Labrador cross, with bits of greying in its black coat so must have been an old dog. It was staring at me and i it, then it suddenly started walking out in front of the car, i did a perfect emergency stop, said i don't believe it, then continued with my perfect driving test examination. The examiner told me to turn left, i did then 100 yards later hit the dashboard with his paperwork. i tried to do an emergency stop but messed it up and rolled forward slightly by taking my foot off the break before the car stopped.
so anyways, i passed the test and got my driving licence, when i inquired about my failed second emergency stop, he said, "yeah but you're first one was perfect so i used that to determine whether you pass or not, its very rare you would have to do 2 emergency stops so close together so i disregarded the one i asked of you."

[edit on 15-6-2010 by thegreatestone]

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
one of my favourite legends is the legend of alderley,

a slow walk from the road to the edge, through squirrel infested woods brings you to a magnificent view over the cheshire plain,

coupled with the knowledge of the legend here

www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk...

(which some legends say is merlin and arthur)

following the numerous paths around and keeping an eye open for anything strange (elves, pixies, etc) you may notice this

with the inscription carved in the rock (you can just see 'drink of....' underneath the wizard)

Drink of this and take thy fill, for the water falls by the wizard's will

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Springheeled Jack for me.. He was spotted around my hometown of Liverpool many times..

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
One of the men a very long way back in my family tree is actually mentioned in the Mother Shipton tales as being sent to interrogate her
I guess scepticism goes a long way back in the family.

My favourite local legend is the Ghost of the worlds first frozen Chicken that haunts a road near my house Ghost chicken

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
i was and still am fasinated by lock ness s nessy......

cute little bugger.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel
i was and still am fasinated by lock ness s nessy......

cute little bugger.

No i never have been.

For me the druids have always fascinated me, and today i think i found one of the lay line cross over points in england, lol

Confirmation and experience is class.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I love the rich celtic tapestry that surrounds that great sword Caledfwlch more commonly known by the false name Excalibur.

Caledfwlch in Welsh is hard to decipher but my own interpretation taken from the Welsh is "Battle-Breach" which suits its legendary attributes to the ground.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
spring heeled jack is defiantly a top one

The Alien Big Cats are always interesting but always disappointing

top topics

join