It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harman pushes discrimination plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Harman pushes discrimination plan

news.bbc.co.uk

Equality minister Harriet Harman has set out plans to allow firms to discriminate in favour of female and ethnic minority job candidates.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
So... positive discrimination is back. Who else sees the irony in passing an 'equality' bill that encourages inequality? When will people realise that true equality does not come forced by government legislation? We live in a time of rising social tension and offering additional aid to minorities can only feed the fires leading to conflict, not eradicate them.

Political correctness eh

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

I listen to ALex Jones also. Now over a month.
Yea GMO is killing us and shrinking RAT TESTICLES and I just started reading Seed of deception.

They want to divide and conquer, and they Read Sun Tzu too!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I freaking hate Harriet Harman, Jacqui Smith and any of the other man-hating closet lesbians who are currently doing their level best to excise their personal issues through various actions against people like me, poor old working, non-married white men.

We're not all misogynistic rapists, molesters or wife-beaters, some of us are just regular blokes.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Oh dear god....

Is this really necessary? My boss is a woman, her boss is a woman, where exactly is the inequality?

Harriet "fudging" Harman... Can't wait until 2010 when her and her band of communists in lunatics clothing are dumped on the way side.

If this goes through I can see alot of tension on the streets..... It's not as if things are quiet at the moment anyway...

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Some quotes that irk me:

Female part-time workers still earned 40% less per hour than their full-time male counterparts, Ms Harman told Today BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

Then she should have asked for more money! Don't ask, don't get! I had to stamp and scream to bump me up to the market rate for my position, when women on the team were earning almost 100% more than me!

She said firms should be able to choose a woman over a man of equal ability if they wanted to - or vice versa.

So what's the point of the legislation if that's the case?

It will also give women the right to breastfeed in public and outlaw "homophobic bullying" in the workplace.

They already have the right and I thought homophobic behaviour in work was illegal?

Christ, what are these people on? In a time of economic instability, they do things like this which will only serve to destabalise the job market further.

They don't listen to what the people want, which at the end of the day is just a few things:

1. Good Healthcare
  2. Good education
  3. A police force that works and which we can trust
  4. Legal cannabis? I know plenty of people who want this across all walks of life (a recent petition on the Number 10 website had over 250,000 sigs, but was put down because "we have international treaty commitments"...WTF?)
  5. Lower taxes - especially fuel
  6. A government that listens, not one that commands.

If the Government could just focus on the above points, people would be happy. Instead, they spend their time trying to legislate every aspect of our lives!

[edit on 7/12/08 by stumason]

[edit on 7/12/08 by stumason]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I can perhaps in some ways see the issue over male/female inequality. Although I really do not think it's very prevalent. In my workplace, out of the 7 departments, women head 4 of them. There are girls younger than me with less experience and no further qualifications who are earning more than me. Good on them.

However, on the issue of ethnic minorities, I really can't see the inequality. My company employs a proportionate number of ethnic minorities and is so happy to do so that they recently employed someone from Bolivia whose grasp of English was so bad that she had to have her emails worded for her. She was let go within her probation period and rightly so.

These affirmative action laws and policies do nothing but eliminate competition in the work place. Pretty soon we're going to have a nation where studies, sacrifices and hard work aren't rewarded, whereas lotteries like place of birth, skin colour and sex are. Equal opportunities does not mean equal rewards.

top topics

join