It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Kop Busters" in Odessa, TX

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperTruper

Originally posted by titorite
Excessive use of electricity is not grounds for probable cause.
Owning and using these lights is not grounds for probable cause.

Yes it is.

NO your a tyrant. That is like saying being outside at five am is reasonable suspicion. That is total BS. What I do with my electricity is none of your business and none of the cops business. If you think otherwise please move to communist China were totalitarianism is the law of your preference.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

As I said in my above post, a lot of this is a result of the police taking the easy road. It's easier to use such "tainted" reasons, and bolster this with a "reliable source" than to do real work at gathering enough evidence to make a case.

It's not a conspiracy per se, nor even "those evil cops", but a matter of not bothering to do a good job, IMO. Shortcuts result in a shoddy product, no matter what you're doing. But the Constitutional freedoms were thought up by some folks with first hand experience at this type of "policing", and set in place to make sure that being lazy didn't become an undue burden on the citizenry.

These cops weren't "out to do harm to an innocent person". But much like the charge of "negligent homicide", one needs to pay the price for not taking reasonable and prudent care when going about one's affairs, whatever they may be.

It would be fitting, IMO, that several jobs be lost over this.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I don't have enough info to really say one way or another since I don't know what the DA was presented with.

It has to be kept in mind that there are relatively few facts in play here. This is mostly an exercise in evaluating probability based on what facts we do have.

It is possible that the cops just said, "hey we've heard things, we want a warrant". In which case you're right.

It is also possible that the cops had an informant come to them without enough, and the cops specifically coached him on how to cover all the bases in his testimony to get it by a DA.

And the possibilities go on. That's why as I said, I hope KopBusters' legal apparatus is as sophisticated as their investigation apparatus- otherwise it's all for nothing.

If you turn the tables, for instance if a prosecutor wanted to go after the police on the basis of what KopBusters did, they are CLOSE to legit probable cause to search police records, but they'd probably have to question a few cops and Kopbusters a little more first. They are nowhere near having enough evidence to decide who to charge, much less being able to convict anyone.

This looks REALLY bad on the cops and warrants investigation, however we also have to be honest about the fact that we don't have it all yet.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
one other thing that i hope is looked at

our nations creators believed we should not have to be subjected to unwarranted or undue searches

yet now it seems to be common knowledge that a cop just has to ask for a warrant and can potentially be given one

WHat THE ********************???? < thats not a swear word, thats a symbol for a word that can make absolutely no sense of a situation

i mean seriously i thought we had this whole "legal process" etc etc

but to me, it seems the way some people are allowing it to sound that a warrant is easy and just a simple piece of paper that basically allows cops to do whatever the hell they want with absolutely no oversight

and internal affairs is the only one that oversees problems and complaints??

thatd ludicrous, thats like telling a 2 year old to punish himself suitably when he misbehaved with his parents, doesnt anyone else think we need some sort of private group or outside group that can hold these law enforcement representatives accountable for their actions?

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Dramey]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Just to show how such things, including falsifying "evidence/probable cause can go very wrong, read this entry and then research the case.

If these "kopbusters" are doing anything, it's protecting American citizens.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
*Rubs hands in evil glee* Oh, I GOT to get ahold of these people and sic them on Hendersonville, NC! They want crooked cops, I'll give 'em crooked cops by the bushel! By the truckload! I'll go on tv as a witness to what goes on there!

*Starts typing furiously while cackling*

BTW- If I managed to buy a new type of computer that will suck the power from the wall before I plug it in (it's a TESLA, look it up) as a start on a rendering farm, will this bring cops to my door? Because if it will I will render some of the prettiest 3d marijuana plants they ever did see...

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Long time listener, first time caller...

If KopBusters was trying to prove that the Kops were getting the warrants illegally, I believe that they would do EVERYTHING to keep things quiet to prove just that. According to them they used encrypted email and throw away phones, so who what informant knew about it.

Cooper is an ex-LEO, ya think he doesn't know what the Kops would need for a legitimate warrant? If he tipped them off, and that tip was enough evidence for a warrant, wouldn't Cooper know that as well??

Lets say for a second, no informant, no open curtains, no way of knowing whats going on inside except for the thermal imaging equipment to detect the grow lamps. Then there is a problem!

I say good for KopBusters!! I will be waiting for your site to return!!!

[edit on 7-12-2008 by skidmarkusin]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperTruper

toorper youre definately missing it. This guy went through all "tricky methods" to catch them doing stuff completely illegal. It was found after ONE DAY in an empty house. The no1 was smoking, they would have never been able to smell it, and no1 even lived there. The cops, and the judge, did everything illegally. he perfectly set them up to expose the illegality of the case.

if this case is NOT declared unconstitutional, there should be rioting. plain and simple.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueminatti

What a fabulous idea!!!!!!!!!!!! We should set something like this up in every single town in America just to show the people in this country that it is not what you have been led to believe. This was absolutely genius. Perhaps if the public's eyes were opened to the corruption in government of EVERY level right down to the smallest town foot policeman, then maybe our rights would be respected. I cannot even begin to express my wish that this starts happening all over the country and the world for that matter. It is high time to expose these criminals for their true selves. If I could give this thread 100 flags I would.

This needs to be forwarded to every single news source in the country, maybe two or three of them will actually air it. The police today are nothing more than a bunch of kids that got picked on in high school and have a chip on their shoulders to take out on every single person they come across.

I got pulled over coming home from work about 4 months ago at 3am. The policeman must have thought I was an idiot or something. He said to me "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I said "Because you were bored?" he then said and this is his exact words, "No smart a**, I pulled you over because you were doing 77 in a 65." I responded "Well thank you sir, you have just made me a rich man." He said "How do you figure?" I said, "You do see what I am driving right?" (2007 corvette) he said "yeah so?" I said, "Sir I have had the cruise control set to 67 for the last 20 miles since I came out of the city, if this speed odometer is off by ten miles an hour on a car with 11 thousand miles on it I am going to sue GM for every cent I can get." Now he changes his tune and becomes more polite and says "Well maybe I had shadowed you with another car going the other direction." I said, "Maybe you did, or maybe even you thought I was some dumb idiot or a drunk driving a 65 thousand dollar automobile and you thought you could write an easy ticket or find some way to impound my vehicle, instead what you found was a guy who doesn't drink, use drugs, or break laws and this must have surprised you." At this point he got a little irritated and said to me "Well I am sure I could find something to arrest you for." I did not respond to him but rather fumbled for my cell phone, he then said, "what's the matter smart a**, didn't you hear me?" I said "yes sir I heard you, I am just looking for my phone." I grabbed the phone and called our family lawyer and he was rather upset that I woke him at this time, I explained to him what was happening and he would have to meet me at the jail. The policeman then said to me "What makes you think I am going to arrest you?" I said, "Sir you threatened me, and I took the necessary precautions." "Perhaps you thought I was some uneducated fool who would cave in to your power, you however sir were quite mistaken. I am not poor, and I certainly am not going to put up with your kind of behavior, I will use every resource at my disposal including waking my attorney up at 3am to ensure that you do not do this to another person." "You were mad because I stood up to you when you were trying to harass me and impose your will upon me, unfortunately for you, you picked a person that has the resources to stand up to this kind of behavior." At this point I could tell he was worried and became extremely cordial; however, it was too late, he had already angered me to the point I felt it necessary to try to get his job, which I did accomplish but only after threatening a lawsuit against the police department.

These people will only push as far as we allow them to push, just as with any bully, once they understand that they are going to lose, they back off quick. Incidentally, I saw this guy about a month ago, he is now a security guard at super-kmart.

[edit on 12/7/2008 by DarrylGalasso] for typo, the speed limit where I was pulled over was 65 not 55.

[edit on 12/7/2008 by DarrylGalasso]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

after reading your posts, you are either a troll, or a lil thick. either that, or i dun get your logic. you are saying that because they THINK (without probable cause, like evidence not used with the lights proved unconstitutional in the court case said below) theres a grow op, that they DO have the right to burst in private property and search a citizen's house?

the fact that they are using illegal technology should give them a severe warning, possibly firing the head officer. I'd be furious if i were in town.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

no its not....

if owning the lights were illegal, them NO1 COULD SELL THEM IN THE UNITED STATES

IF USING THAT MUCH ELECTRICITY WAS ILLEGAL, THE ELEC COMPANIES WOULD SHUT YOU OFF BY LAW

troll

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I'm not going to go into how I know this but; the local DEA office here has maps on the wall with locations marked that were found with thermal imaging equipment mounted on airplanes. They know were the grow operations are but CAN NOT get warrants unless they come up with probable cause. If they do the case gets thrown out of court for illegal search and seizure.

This is true in every square inch of the US. Unless Odessa is not in the US it applies. I had a rather long discussion with both a US Marshall and a DEA Agent at the time I found out about the maps. The irony is that these maps are visible to anyone who cares to walk in, but nobody notices.

I don't know if your trying to give the impression you are a Cop or your just a groupie or wanna be, but if you are you have never been trained. Not knowing about Probable Cause makes me believe you are one of the later. There are no people in law enforcement not intimately familiar with Probable Cause or what Supreme Court decisions mean to them. Knowingly violating the Constitution and its meaning as defined by the Courts is a crime. When an Officer chooses to do so they are Criminals.

Unless these officers were set up somehow, they either lied to get the warrant or the Judge is a conspirator in the crime.

My first experience with a Bad Cop, I was about 20. A Deputy Sheriff stole a brand new color television from me in broad daylight for no reason. He just walked into my home without knocking, pretended to be looking for someone and loaded the TV in the trunk of his Cruiser. It got so bad the County had to fire the whole Sheriffs Dept. and start over.

In Idaho many years ago, most towns required all business owners to provide a set of keys to the Police Dept. or Sheriffs Office. The number of burglaries were insane. It took a few years, but when the hammer came down Cops from all over the State were swept up in a sting by the Fed's. It is one of Idaho's dirty little secrets. This occurred when I was quite young, about 40 years ago. Then again in the 1990's a Detective in the town I lived in was arrested when they found all the stolen goods from a string of burglaries in his basement.

I have a close friend who is a State Policeman there who tells me that at least half of the Force owns and keeps illegal, fully automatic weapons in their homes. The man who manufactured them is in Prison now, but no Officer ever was exposed. Why? Because he knows he will die if he tells who his customers are.

Law Enforcement is crawling with criminals as bad as any they are supposed to protect us from. To not know that is pretty naive.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperTruper

9 times out of 10, someone using unusually excessive amounts of electricity are marijuana growers, so it's pretty much inarguable that when it happens, it definitely gives a "reasonable belief".

Wrong again. I'll let you educate yourself with Google. You may be able to find an article on this one.

Seattle had to suspend searching homes where electric use went up because most of the time it was just a case of somebody switching from gas to electric heat or other remodeling and they could no longer afford the law suits.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Just shows how power corrupts, unlike the other forum where scientists dicovered the other day that it does not, which goes to show how naive the people that conduct such research nonsense seem to be. Drugs should be decriminalized, at the moment they are nothing more than excuses to Inquisition otherwise law abiding people on the flimsiest of notions, IRS like above the law mentality that helps create and maintain hostility and or distrust from the general public to the people that are supposed to protect us from violence....but are not obligated to do so according to the Supreme Court, hence the reason why we have a right to own firearms. If they took away the guns they only have one thing in mind: taking away everything else.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Ahh my old stomping grounds. Once again Odessa gets on the radar.

The Kop Busters program has been in action for a long time because out there, the law tends to overstep their authority quite alot.

KOSA, I used to chief engineer for that station. (95-98)

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Entrapment involves law enforcement encouraging someone to commit a crime that they normally wouldn't commit.

This guy only put grow lights over his christmas trees. Nothing illegal there.
As far as I know, a citizen can't entrap the police anyways.

The police had to have lied to a judge about evidence/informants or used the illegal FLIR cam to find out that grow lights were being used.
They obviously have a suspect procedure to get warrants, and it needs to be exposed.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Last time I drove through Odessa Texas all I saw were Tumbleweeds and c
Coyotes. Didn’t see any Charismas trees.
I liked the Big Sky though!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Being the skeptic that I am, I'd wonder if the whole deal on Cooper's end is completely on the up and up. Getting busted that fast seems just a little dicey to me. I'd love to see the whole story and timeline here. If there was no false tip offs given to informants, than this really could be a 'really bad thing'(tm) for the local law enforcement and judicial system.

And if its all true and on the up and up, I'd love to shake that man's hand and buy him a beer. I won't need to see his face to know its him, I'll know from the sound of basketball sized brass testicles clanking together when he walks.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Secret Shadow

Yeah, im from Odessa and have a couple friends who left the force because of how bad it is. It doesnt surprise me one bit.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Well said Blaine. We now clearly have the detailed testimony of someone who isn't lying about his law enforcement experience.

Some people man, they're an agent, they're a professor, they're a meteorologist (gotta report those stormfronts), they're an air traffic controller, whatever the thread calls for, they've done it. I think it's safe to say that Blaine's testimony is the most reliable we've had, and puts the burden of proof squarely on the apologists.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join