It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Kop Busters" in Odessa, TX

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+70 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

"Kop Busters" in Odessa, TX

www.reason.com

KopBusters rented a house in Odessa, Texas and began growing two small Christmas trees under a grow light similar to those used for growing marijuana. When faced with a suspected marijuana grow, the police usually use illegal FLIR cameras and/or lie on the search warrant affidavit claiming they have probable cause to raid the house. Instead of conducting a proper investigation which usually leads to no probable cause, the Kops lie on the affidavit claiming a confidential informant saw the plants and/or the police could smell marijuana coming from the suspected house.

The trap was set and less than 24 hours later, the Odessa narcotics unit raided the house only to find KopBuster’s attorney waiting under a system of complex gadgetry and spy cameras that streamed online to the KopBuster’s secret mobile office nearby.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I love this guy! I'm tired of police being above the law... get em barry! i highly doubt the officers will be convicted of any crimes though...

I can only imagine the hatred the corrupt system has for barry cooper. I can't imagine they allow this to go on for too long. Barry is an ex-cop with knowledge of the system. He is their worst nightmare.

www.reason.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I've got to doff my cap to the guy for this.

However, how does this stand regarding 'entrapment' in Texas? Surely this is 'entrapment' of sorts?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueminatti

I knew someone that worked in the electric company. He mentioned how the cops had direct access to their customer database. I wouldn't be surprised if they monitor accounts for unusually high usage.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
In most counties in Texas, I believe Judges are elected. This is NOT going to be a fun time for the cops who went to the judge and helped him look like an idiot. To cover his ass, the judge might just clamp the cops gonads in a vice and make their lives miserable to keep his voting public intact. But, kudos to this guy.

Zindo

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
That is awesome! We all sit around and complain about our government and how they are abusing their power, but we don't do anything about it. It's nice to see someone take some initiative and bring this stuff to light. I can only hope that more people follow his lead and remind the government that we control them, and not vice-versa.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I've got to doff my cap to the guy for this.

However, how does this stand regarding 'entrapment' in Texas? Surely this is 'entrapment' of sorts?

entrapment n. in criminal law, the act of law enforcement officers or government agents to induce or encourage a person to commit a crime when the potential criminal expresses a desire not to go ahead. The key to entrapment is whether the idea for the commission or encouragement of the criminal act originated with the police or government agents instead of with the "criminal." Entrapment, if proved, is a defense to a criminal prosecution. The accused often claims entrapment in so-called "stings" in which undercover agents buy or sell narcotics, prostitutes' services, or arrange to purchase goods believed to be stolen. The factual question is: Would Johnny Begood have purchased the drugs if not pressed by the narc?

The legal term entrapment only pertains in cases where abuse of power by an authority figure is suspected. I have not been able to find a citation where entrapment of the government or its agents by a citizen is covered.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Starred and flagged. Way to go copbusters!

Mod Edit: To Remove Off Topic material.

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of illegal activities; specifically mind-altering drugs, computer hacking, criminal hate, sexual relations with minors, and stock scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites that contains discussion of such material. My Emphasis

Terms and Conditions

[edit on 7-12-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueminatti

That is great the FLIR lights are an invasion of privacy. The Cops need to be taken to task everytime they bust someone who is actually growing lettuce.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by eradown]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I can't wait to see what the DA tries charge KopBusters for, they are clearly the ones that broke the law.

I also am curious to hear what our Law Enforcement friends here on the ATS boards think.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
It looks like they got to the website. kopbusters.com is not working anymore.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

The legal term entrapment only pertains in cases where abuse of power by an authority figure is suspected. I have not been able to find a citation where entrapment of the government or its agents by a citizen is covered.

Thanks for the quote. I knew it would be problematic finding a non-authority figure, hence why I put 'entrapment' in quotes as I knew it wouldn't be the same. Hopefully, there isn't a real analogue that the police can use to get this thrown out.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I live about 50 minutes from Odessa. There is a forum i belong to for local folks, and we have discussed this quite a bit (Midland/Odessa and surrounding areas).

I hope this helps right the system, as it is run amock in this area. But I am not sure this is the way to do it.

We will see.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7
It looks like they got to the website. kopbusters.com is not working anymore.

Everyone is trying to watch the video of the cops busting the Christmas tree.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
rawstory.com... There's another link to the same story.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Oh this has made my day! I'm am more than certain that this will ruffle a few feathers.

What are the odds that this guy is accidentally shot for producing a cellphone/falls down the stairs/shoots himself 16 times etc. (delete as appropriate)?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Living about 15 minutes from Odessa I have to say this is the first Ive heard of this, which isn't very unusual for this area. Around here they like it to seem as if the local PD can do no wrong...which is VERY far from the case lol

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Oh Crap!! Double post

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Secret Shadow]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Found the youtube video here. About time!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I hope they are not going to spend most of the time trying to get back at Kop Buster and focus on the LEO's that started this investigation. If there is corruption, punish the officers that broke the law!

There are times when the ends don't justify the means.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join