It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Mayhem & Death At Wal-Mart

page: 1/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

More Mayhem & Death At Wal-Mart

www.huffingtonpost.com

Florida resident Patrick Donovan, 53, died over $393 in Wal-Mart merchandise, lying face down in the giant retailer's parking lot last week.

The Wal-Mart workers and one bystander held Donovan down, while one leaned on his back and another held down his arms and head. The police report says they told Donovan to stop fighting, and asked witnesses to call 911. By the time Donovan had stopped struggling, he had died.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/12/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Just another example of The new God for Idiot America.
Oh thy god of PLASTIC rule's us all. When will we value life more than plastic again? NEVER.
We all remember the story from Blck friday this year when the Honorable man who worked there traded his life for a pregnant woman... This is perhaps a hate filled revenge to the public who won't pay for walmarts slave made goods.
We have a Moral responsibility as humans to stop this, we have to value life more than Oil and it's bi-product plastic.

My heart ache's for the unbalance in this world. They will kill and enslave us all, please people. DO YOUR HOMEWORK
The NWO is in it's final phase and will soon rear it's head. It is truly a hydra, and we must all pick up our swords of FREEDOM and decapitate the serpent of death

Prove me wrong. Stand up with me against the NWO.
Deny Ignorance

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod edits: Please review: Instructions for Breaking News Forum.
  • Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalise it.
  • ONLY post text from the news article within the [exnews] tags, NOT your commentary.

• posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:41 AM
    link   
    This is another terrible tragedy that is becoming all too common. I understand people's frustration and/or willingness to help prevent crimes but this is over the top.

Wrestling people to the ground is waaaaayyyy outside their job description and for which they have no training or credentialing.

Good thing Wal-Mart quit selling guns or the employees may have just blown the guy away instead, eh? *sarcasm off*

I think if some pimple-faced, minimum waged vigilante tried to exercise "street justice" on me in the Wal-Mart parking lot, I would do my very best to put them in the hospital.

No charges filed? No case? It's assault and battery at the very least. Homicide at the worst.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:46 AM
    link   
    Looks like Wally Martz lawyers are going to be very busy this holiday season. If this keeps up, I can't wait to see the commercials to counter the bad publicity!

Zindo

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:50 AM
    link   
    I never have shopped at wallmart and never will. One can praise the strong capitalistic spirit that has spurred the growth of wallmart but with that spirit not tempered by appreciation for its employees and true compassion for its community wallmart has become some sort of modern day concrete pirate.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:02 AM
    link   
    I can see wallmart being a modern day company store. It is like that in China already . I watched a documentary where the workers live on site in a little room, with no bathroom, and the pay they get pays for the cramped quarters and a little bit of food. Was sick.

I will not shop there. My husband works for Target, and he would kill me anyway if I did,lol

Ama

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:09 AM
    link   
    What's funny here is how righteously humans respond when they have even a tiny bit of authority. These Walmart employees may have wished to be hall-monitors while they were in school? Even if you are paid a slave-wage and you are unable to unionize youir WalMart store, there is a tremendously overwhelming feeling of having to "defend" your corporate mommy or daddy if someone tries to steal from them.

Similarly, many civil-war-era slaves fought to defend the master's plantation --The massa who was just beating them the week before. Slave mind control is overwhelmingly powerful.

Aren't humans entertaining? But what would be even funnier is to follow the victim's family members and see how many of them are actually able to stop shopping at Walmart.

+16 more 
    posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:10 AM
    link   
    Wait a second:

1) 53 year old Guy tries to Steal
    2) Gets caught stealing
    3) uses all of his energy to evade and escape from being caught
    4) dies as a result of his:
    a) unethical behavior
    b) unwillingness to take resposibility for his actions he KNOWS are wrong

I don't see any problem here at all.
    In fact, I'd say the world is now a better place as a result.

Flame away, but some people just have no concept of ethical behavior.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:25 AM
    link   
    Walmart preaches "your money" to its employees all day. As in,

"make sure everybody works hard, its your money they're being paid to goof off. Don't let them(co-workers) steal from YOU!".

"customers are stealing from YOU!"

"vendors are stealing from YOU!"

Meanwhile, the manager moves you to a lower payband job and makes you keep doing the higher payband work.

Walmart respects their employees the way Bush/Cheney respect soldiers.

Their managers are trained to manipulate the hourly employees. From inside the company, they paint a very bleak picture of everything outside of it, while keeping it bleak on the inside.

Most of the Walmart employees I know don't buy it. They would have waved at the shoplifter as he ran away. However, the few that the managers convince are literally dangerous to the community and their co-workers.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:32 AM
    link   
    reply to post by ATS4dummies

Well man I sure won't personally attack you but if you think this is flames thats cool.
    It's slave good's the last time I checked. Lemme check the bottom of my laptop, yup made in China, where it's SLAVE MADE. or seriously poor made it, either way for me it's immoral, but let's sepperate morality from Ethic's for a second so I can get onto your level of thinking....

Ethically is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family? Or someone else's family? .... What if I stole some Plastic from walmart to feed YOUR family, because my friend, I surley WOULD.

Now we can parry and thrust at each other, but unless your an agent of evil, or dis-info.com 's CEO... you surely will agree that in desperation, a person would do anything and Ethic's are just a 2 syllable word.

So my friend if you feel burned from flame's, realize the symbology that we face in situation's like this is what burned you. Your experience must be enlightened by this senseless death, or like I said you are the former.

Semper F,i Do or Die
    I love my fellow man

Mod edit: Please review these links.
  • Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors.
  • Civility and Decorum are Required.

• posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:32 AM
    link   
    reply to post by ATS4dummies

No it is not. This is why we have a department called "police"...not that he would have survived a taser hit, but it is not the customers business, NOR security's business to tackle people to the ground.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:50 AM
    link   
    Let me get this straight; a 53 year old mans life is worth exactly 393 dollars? I call bullspit!
    I wonder how much those employees lives or jobs are worth.
    Absolutely rediculous. Walmart employees are NOT trained security PERIOD.
    I hope "if" there is a widow and/or family left behind they sue big time.
    As a shoplifter he would have been charged and banned from walmart...NOTHING warrents being crushed to death over.

BTW: Up here in Alaska; they still sell guns in walmart.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:03 AM
    link   
    In my hometown recently a shoplifter was shot and killed by the police. Here's the link:

www.lightnews.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:22 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Kords21

The differance here is that once the subject got into his car and fled and refused to stop, he changed a probable misdemeanor into a felony! I know its a basic instinct to run when confronted but flight from the police in this day and age is stupid, period!

Zindo

[edit on 12/7/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:24 AM
    link   
    I think I am going to play devils advocate here. In all actualality, the employees, should have attempted to verify where he was going, write down his license plate if necessary, and report there findings to the police. They are not trained nor authorized under law to detain someone. That is actually illegal. They can be held with unlawful detainment, or kidnapping. The customer that was involved, unless an off duty police officer is even more liable. He had no reason what-so-ever to attempt to kidnap, and detain this individual.

Here in the U.S. people are innocent, until proven guilty. Additionally, if you suspect there is a crime, you are to report it to the police to handle it, not go John Wayne, and kill a guy. They were not trained in defensive technics, nor were they the responsible party that was supposed to handle this. The police were.

I can see a lawsuit over this, especially if the guy just happened to set of the shoplifting sensor, but had actually bought all of his items. just a thought?

Camain

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:26 AM
    link   

Originally posted by SilentOne
    BTW: Up here in Alaska; they still sell guns in walmart.

Why? Just in case Palin tries leaving her house again?

As for the actual story, incredible! I don't know about Florida's specific take on murder &c., but don't they have a 2nd degree murder charge there or an equivalent? I mean, the autopsy states: death was caused by asphyxia due to neck and chest compression, and the Wal*Mart workers actually held him down by his back, head and arms. What's the issue here?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:27 AM
    link   
    The guy definately brought it upon himself. I'm not tryng to defend the guy. I think it's getting ridiculous that people are shoplifting this crap to begin with. Walmart junk isn't worth getting killed for.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:32 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Kords21

Sorry wasn't trying to denegrade your opinion. I was just pointing out the differance in the two cases. Like others have already pointed out, this is going be happening more and more for basic staples of life rather than foolishly stealing crap from Wally World!!LOL

Zindo

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:33 AM
    link   
    reply to post by camain

Your playing no devil here. That is the Truth. I am a USMC combat Vet well versed in the escalation of force, up to and including deadly. Hence, call me JB 0311 NY

Laughingly I am also a NYS Liscensed Security Officer. (Rock the Mullet)
    Our Operating procedure is to try to obtain Info, never TOUCH or threaten ANYONE, and this is why I love my job. I provide security that someone won't shoot up the place without me trying to kill them, while a shoplifter is a laughing affair for me. I write a report, and liason with local police.

I understand the escalation of force starting with verbal commands, which is the extent of my moral and Job obligation's. I understand the end is deadly force, which I fully understand what it entitle's, and I would only use to save a life.

Let's all set a high moral standard for our fellow man, never failing to set a higher one than the last.

Ooh Rah

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:35 AM
    link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
    reply to post by Kords21

Sorry wasn't trying to denegrade your opinion. I was just pointing out the differance in the two cases. Like others have already pointed out, this is going be happening more and more for basic staples of life rather than foolishly stealing crap from Wally World!!LOL

Zindo

I agree and I think the punishment for shoplifting &c. will increase in severity too.

It's awful to think that materialistic greed and over-emphasis on consumer goods has been such a big factor regarding the economic climate and it looks like even more 'worth' is going to be placed on them in the future too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join