It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles" (2008)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I agree that the writers might have been on ATS re: the Drones. Or they were the ones who started the campaign in the first place.

That's definitely been suggested, I just don't think so. It's too minor of a plot device on the show. I saw posts on the drone thread that 'explained' that as being a casualty of the 2007-2008 writers strike, but even if that hadn't affected the timing, it's just too loose of a connection. I don't buy it. It's a logical notion, but when you add up all the data that astute ATSers gathered, and compare it to how it figured into the plot of the show, it just doesn't fit.

I don't think the drones were a 'viral marketing campaign', I just think they were a viral hoax. On that note, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some of the same people (the shows SFX 3D modelers?) were involved. But if the whole thing was supposed to somehow 'promote' the show, it failed. The people who came across the 'drone conspiracy' are only a small pocket of the same nerds who would've tuned into the show anyway (read: us).

TV: ...Television is experiencing a renaissance. Fantastic looking special effects are now attainable with a TV production budget. As a result, talented actors and writers are no longer avoiding television sci-fi. They're not ashamed to associate their names with projects like Battlestar Galactica (one of the cheesiest efforts the 1970s ever spawned). So, when a talented team of creators casts a talented team of actors, they compromise and balance the rest of their budget with cool CGI. And they can't go overboard with that, because they have to pay the whole team. So, as opposed to Hollywood movie productions, which are mostly SFX/action and not so much story - they have a great story, which is supported by special effects. Something George Lucas was once a proponent of, but seems to have lost.

We can credit this to people like Chris Carter, Joss Whedon and Glassner/Wright, who know how to write around their budget.

So yeah... for over half of the past 20 years, I didn't even own a TV, and didn't care. I can honestly tell you though, that I've enjoyed serial-driven stuff like the Stargate franchise, Firefly, BSG & TSCC much more than almost any theatrical release in the past ten years.

[edit on 3/8/2009 by Teratoma]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
You`re right. It wouldn't have been their campaign because the never did connect their series to the drones. Its therefore safe to assume that they lifted the idea from sites such as this. I guess if I were on a tight weekly script-writing schedule I´d do the same.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Great episode, I get a feeling that the next few are gonna be intense!

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
So I finally have caught up with the episodes.

I wasn't surprised by Riley, but was a surprised the way it down. It was cool to get some of the back story on why Jessie was here.

As far as the drones go, I didn't really follow the thread here but it wouldn't surprise me if the idea/concept was lifted from the net by the writers. It wouldn't surprise me if some of them were/are active participants/lurkers on boards like ours. There is a wealth of material to build from.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Its therefore safe to assume that they lifted the idea from sites such as this. I guess if I were on a tight weekly script-writing schedule I´d do the same.

I'd say it has more to do with their own fascination with the subjects discussed herein. Also, connecting their storyline with existing urban legends helps with the "suspension of disbelief".

You've read some of my work, which is HUGELY influenced by the material I discuss here at ATS. This is not because I lack the imagination to come up with 'original' concepts. I could take the best material from ATS in the last 10 years and make a story our of it, but without interesting characters and compelling dialogue, it would just be a rehash of stuff we're already familiar with.

Example: The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson. Most of the elements of that story are based on mythology or urban legends. It was his clever way of tying it all together that made it 'original'.

So I really don't see this kind of writing as "taking shortcuts", and the notion that the writers of one of my favorite shows are into a lot of the same stuff that I am makes me happy.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I take it by the drones in the terminator ep for get witch one it was you mean by "ufo" so i i saw that i thought of the hunter killers on the large future war scale thats what i think they were building and needed all that metal for it. and when one of them employes slipped up the whole place got cleaned up. I have found it to be looseing its plot aswell and its not concentraiting on john and his skills a future leader more like a future whinge bag in my books.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SE7EN

In that episode they actually used graphics that can be seen in this video:

The craft seen by Sarah Connor in the show was an amalgamation of the HKs of which you speak, and the "Isaac Drone".

Did you see Friday's episode? [SPOILER ALERT]

John confronts Jessie about killing Riley. This is probably Thomas Dekker's best scene in the series yet. When she enters her hotel room to find him waiting there with a gun he says "If you pretend not to know me I might shoot you in the head." He seems nervous, and you can feel the tension when he tells her he knows the truth.

Of course he cries like a baby afterward but I don't mind the sensitive emo-john as much as everyone else seems to.

Ok though... At the final scene when Sarah, John and Cameron are sitting there sadly (right before he starts balling), did anyone else expect the camera to pan over to the TV to show them watching themselves sitting there sadly? No? I didn't either. Well maybe just a little.

[edit on 3/24/2009 by Teratoma]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
in the uk we have yet to see that episode i think its on next weeks ive missed a few i really need a decent site so i can catch up on it that gives a good explanation about it's episodes and maybe has small clips to boot any ideas anyone.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SE7EN

The 3 most recent episodes are viewable in their entirety at the official website

You also might try Hulu.com or a Japanese Youtube clone called youku.com. The latter is in Japanese, but the search feature accepts English queries. translating it with Google might make it more navigable, too.

Anyway I'm glad I thought to add the 'spoiler alert'; hope I didn't frak it up for ya. Good luck!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teratoma

John confronts Jessie about killing Riley. This is probably Thomas Dekker's best scene in the series yet. When she enters her hotel room to find him waiting there with a gun he says "If you pretend not to know me I might shoot you in the head." He seems nervous, and you can feel the tension when he tells her he knows the truth.

I liked it.. I didn't want the "mystery" of who done it to be dragged out as it should've been pretty obvious. they're suppose to be intelligent people but derek's boner switched his brain off and sarah didn't decribe the school councellor she met to anyone? I liked the "carrots and apples" clue he mentioned.. shows he's smart enough to pick up the little things.. a must for a military leader. he's been a bit of a mummy's boy lately so it's good to see them developing his charactor in that regard.

I also liked that he said he wanted to talk about derek's future. was like he was pulling rank on his own uncle which was a nice touch.

Ok though... At the final scene when Sarah, John and Cameron are sitting there sadly (right before he starts balling), did anyone else expect the camera to pan over to the TV to show them watching themselves sitting there sadly? No? I didn't either. Well maybe just a little.

I'm going to have to watch it again.. thanks for the heads up.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by riley]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Hi Riley, glad to see you're ok! Who's gonna show up on this thread next? John Connor? John Titor?

Yes, one of the things I like about the show is that the sub-plots are resolved without being dragged out. Example: Ellison learning about the machines.

Like I said before, I like John as a thoughtful, sensitive kid. I like the idea that maybe judgment day won't happen in the timeline represented by the show, because our heroes will find a way to stop it, and he can go on to lead an otherwise normal life. "No fate but what we make."

While watching that episode s02e19 this is what went through my mind at the end: "Aw, they're sitting there sadly watching TV. Hey, I'm sitting here sadly watching TV. I wonder if they're watching the same thing - oh wait..." Then I realized I was trippin'.

I had a similar experience one time watching Sesame Street as a child. At the end of one of the animated segments, they faded to Ernie, sitting in his room watching the very same thing on his TV. I had an epiphany! I can't quite put it into words, but that really blew my mind!

Anyway, I digress, so SPOILER ALERT!!!:

Poor Charlie. He's been nothing but cool and has gotten nothing but crapped on for the whole series. Sarah leaves him without even a goodbye, seven years later he finds John in his house, who kicks his ass. Then a robot monster tortures and kills his new wife. At least he's in a better place now.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

reply to post by riley

Hi Riley, glad to see you're ok! Who's gonna show up on this thread next? John Connor? John Titor?

I must have inspired her charactor.. or gone back in time to register.

for spoilers..

looking doutful we'll get a 3rd series as they're tieing up loose ends (charlie couldn't catch a break
). they didn't really need to kill him off to progress the story but throwing in the tracking device worked for it. I'm glad they actually had a point to the boring kidnap episode. looks like the 'brother AI' is after cameron's body. At first I thought the malware was in reference to when cameron hacked into the street light system and left a virus. that would've made a cool tie in but I doubt that could have evolved into sentience.

getting cameron to fix the tire was really, really, tactically stupid though. if someone is shooting ready to ambush you don't get the scary killer robot to go and change a tire instead of sending her to check it out. not sure what the writers would demote her to doing menial tasks.

besides which guys are suppose to change tires.

yes it could be argued that they had tazers so if she had gone she still could've been shocked but their voltage isn't nearly high enough.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by riley]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

I can't remember exactly how it was worded, but I've read that this season's ending is not written with cancellation in mind. Still, knowing how Fox treats its material, the actors all sound somewhere between being unsure about the series' future, and leaning towards believing it will not be renewed.

The last broadcast TV show that I enjoyed this much was Summer's Firefly, which was canceled unceremoniously before the first season ended. Not to mention being aired out-of-sequence. I have my fingers crossed that they'll let it live - and that if it doesn't, maybe Sci-Fi will pick it up.

I thought exactly the same thing about the tire-changing fiasco. How has Derek survived so long making decisions like that?

I'd also like to take this time to give a nod of acknowledgment to Garret Dillahunt's portrayal of Cromartie/John Henry. Particularly the latter, in the last few episodes. His creepy little smile and frightening interaction with Savannah will make him a fan favorite for years to come.

Oh, and I did notice your registration date; my mention of John Titor wasn't just a reference to the time travel on the show!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

reply to post by riley

I can't remember exactly how it was worded, but I've read that this season's ending is not written with cancellation in mind. Still, knowing how Fox treats its material, the actors all sound somewhere between being unsure about the series' future, and leaning towards believing it will not be renewed.

The last broadcast TV show that I enjoyed this much was Summer's Firefly, which was canceled unceremoniously before the first season ended. Not to mention being aired out-of-sequence. I have my fingers crossed that they'll let it live - and that if it doesn't, maybe Sci-Fi will pick it up.

I hope so.. I saw the serenity movie and thought.. "so there's a series?!" er.. not quite.

..so now I figure if a show is really good and I really like it it's inevitably going to get the axe. They axed it in aus so have to find it online.

I think renewing it also depends on how it fits into T4 and even the success of it. I know they're different timelines but they have to be careful not to undermind the movie. imo there are enough plot holes and poradoxes as it is.

I'd also like to take this time to give a nod of acknowledgment to Garret Dillahunt's portrayal of Cromartie/John Henry. Particularly the latter, in the last few episodes. His creepy little smile and frightening interaction with Savannah will make him a fan favorite for years to come.

I love that a cute little girl is being babysat by two very unpredictable, deadly cyborgs and a not too bright cop. they really chose the kid well and she has alot of screen presence. I doubt "mummy" will turn her into a kebab but the writers know the worth of constantly threatening the audience with it.

Oh, and I did notice your registration date; my mention of John Titor wasn't just a reference to the time travel on the show!

It's all a co-incidenence! .. but sometimes fact is stranger than fiction.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by riley]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Cameron: I should have killed him. I'm going to kill him.
Sarah: You're not going to kill him.
Cameron: He can't be trusted.
Sarah: No one can be trusted.
Cameron: But, I only wanna kill him.

Did anyone else find this extremely amusing? I heart Cameron.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join