It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalist Groups

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
How many actually practice survival either alone or in a group?

Having fancy gear, and reading cool books isn't enough - actually dragging yourself (or better yet, you and others) into the woods, or "digging in" to your basement for the weekend?

Does anyone do this regularly? Anyone interested in starting a group??

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I've never practiced it, but I have gotten more into survival mode in sense of preparation. I'd join a group or go out for an extreme version of a camping trip. I'm in Maryland.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by xavier36

I have a friend that is into it as well as myself.We put ourselves in situations...mostly just for fun.
The toughest thing we have done was cycle 170 kms with minimal gear on our backs to go sleep in the bush.No tents and minimal gear.We left one day and came back the next.It was tough on the body and mind.Our only rule was nobody was allowed to complain.
Was more a mental excercise I guess.
I think the best thing to do is go do it alone...forget survival groups.Learn it yourself and learn it your way.
For the past few yrs I have been taking a canoe for a week alone in the bush or on a body of water.I learnt the most when alone and I have been in trouble b4.Moments like that are essential for learning.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Good morning xavier36. Welcome to ATS.

Are you a KRITC? That's my new moniker for a kid raised in the city. Seems to be fairly self explanatory does it not?

You joined today. You are interested in a survival group. How about trying this.

Get you little ditty bag and go to the nearest forest. Walk a mile or two into the woods. Build a shelter and have a fire going and a full belly by dark. Skip this part if you have already done so.

Survival groups are good but you just don't do it over night.

You just joined us, you have no personality yet and I trust no one.
What state or country do you live in? What age group are you in?

Not being disrespectful but you jump in about starting a group and don't even have the intestinal fortitude to let us know what general area you are occupying.

Do excuse my ill temper......I am currently being treated with extreme drugs for pneumonia and I am not my usual nice self.

Again, welcome to ATS.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by xavier36

Having fancy gear, and reading cool books isn't enough - actually dragging yourself (or better yet, you and others) into the woods, or "digging in" to your basement for the weekend?

Try reading some of the threads in the survival section that have been posted in the last 4 weeks and you will get the answers you seek.

Some of us have been survivalists since 1979 and practise what we preach.

So pray tell us who are you to tell anyone else that obtaining and owning fancy kit and reference books is not enough, Are you some sort of super survivalist expert who knows what is best for everyone else?

What sort of survivalism are you looking to become more involved in as it appears you are already totally confusing Bushcraft and wilderness survival skills with Disaster preparedness survivalism.

There are already many long term well established survival groups both in the US, Australia and UK, membership of most is by invite only, most of the comms traffic is by closed circuit forums and e mail groups. Potential members are invited to join only after those looking out for new members have watched what the candidates have posted and achieved over a long period.

Finally No I dont want to join a group, as it appears so far that you have little of no experience to offer other than commenting that books and kit are not enough.

Try again when you have done some serious research and proven yourself a bit.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by xavier36

Welcome to ATS!!!

Are not 2 lines better then 1??

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Tell you what; you come here to AK and go on a week long canoe trip with my group of survivalist friends and then come back and tell everybody what it was like

After meeting a grizzly face to face in the water during the salmon run I am pretty sure you'll be grateful for a few books on what to do in such a situation

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Wow way to greet a new member guys. In these dark times we need to be a little more understanding and maybe not take a post that may not be worded quite right to heart.

The new person you chase away today may take with them a piece of information that may have saved your behind tomorrow.

Remember we were all new once.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

I'm still new

I've read so many books, manuals and how to's, been to seminars and nothing replaces experience.

Example: You're in a metal canoe, in 4 inches of water, it's dusk and you float around a bend and come face to face with a HUGE grizzly catching his evening meal....
Now, do you stop and think: What did I read about this happening or do you react from experience and hands on training?
You react because Mr.Grizzly sees you as meal-in-a-can.
I invite anyone to come up and go with us...just for the experience,you'll never regret it and everybody learns alot from each other.

I didn't mean to come off sounding rude. If I did then I deeply apologize.
I am horrid before the second pot of coffee.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
OP,
Congratulations on becoming interested in Survival
You have come to the right place to read and learn. There are many here who would qualify for a Phd. in survivalisim, that is if any educational institution were wise enough to offer the class.
What you may see as hostility on a few of these replies, is nothing more than caution. We who post here are full aware that we are choosing to make a target of ourselves, but we accept that risk for the rewards of sharing are much greater.
You may as why we think of ourselves as targets. To begin with, just about everyone who has been involved in survivalisim for any length of time, or has been vocal about the topic at all, has had the outright riducule of being called paranoid, or laughed at. In spite of that we remain commited to our ideals. Perhaps nothing defines a survivor better than resolve, whether it is resolve in the face of critisism, or resolve in the face of life threatening, or life altering situations.
As for survival groups in general, I for one have mixed feelings. There are tacticle, and practicle advantages and disadvantages to a group or to the " lone wolf" strategy.
I would suggest perhaps a blending of the two. First perfect your own skills. If the time comes when you can join a band of like minded people, you bring more to the community if you have first learned idividual survival.
If on the other hand your survival strategy is built around a group, you will be at a disadvantage is ever forced to go it alone.
Once again, welcome aboard.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Jesus Christ,what a way to welcome a new member to ats.
he only asked a question and was ripped apart by a couple of members,
I notice he has not replied again on this thread,i wonder why,probably
too scared in case he gets shot at again.
Nice one guys.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stu2112
Jesus Christ,what a way to welcome a new member to ats.
he only asked a question and was ripped apart by a couple of members,
I notice he has not replied again on this thread,i wonder why,probably
too scared in case he gets shot at again.
Nice one guys.

Not so, He came and stated that in his view people who had fancy kit and books were wrong, that was his opening remit, He started off by prejudging others, thats simply does not work in the preparedness community, what works for me probably wont work for you, and trying to start a thread by spouting off is hardly the way to get a fair debate going.
He could not even say if he was talking about wilderness and buschcraft survivalism, Or Disaster survivalism.
Respects
NR

[edit on 8-12-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Hmmm.. I keep a bug out bag, but I wouldn't consider myself a "survivalist" as such... But I know people who think I'm nuts just for keeping the BoB

Anyway, I probably wouldn't advocate people getting up and going into the forest/woods/bush by themselves just to see how they go.

Seems like inviting an expensive and troublesome rescue operation if someone were to get lost, especially if they went out alone.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
Hmmm.. I keep a bug out bag, but I wouldn't consider myself a "survivalist" as such... But I know people who think I'm nuts just for keeping the BoB

Anyway, I probably wouldn't advocate people getting up and going into the forest/woods/bush by themselves just to see how they go.

Seems like inviting an expensive and troublesome rescue operation if someone were to get lost, especially if they went out alone.

Its amazing just how many people are survivalists and dont know it, IE anyone with car, house or life insurance, they dont plan on crashing, burning the house down or dying, but they take out insurance as a precautionary measure. Thats survivalism. Our habit of carrying a BOB or EDC is just taking that to the next level.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

As derogitoy as your post sounds, I know for a fact that survival doesn't start until you practice. Books and threads here fill you with knoledge, but it doesn't mean you can DO it.

I'd be safe to say that more than less actually practie what they preach here.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up

As derogitoy as your post sounds, I know for a fact that survival doesn't start until you practice. Books and threads here fill you with knoledge, but it doesn't mean you can DO it.

I'd be safe to say that more than less actually practie what they preach here.

Actually in my group I have a chap who would get lost if he set foot outside his front door. BUT I still value and need him as he is our archivist, he stores huge amounts of survivalist, self suffiency, homesteading and civil defence materials, plus books on how to do just about anything. he is just as valuable as the guy who can survive in a forest in mid winter in the nude with only a carnation to sustain him. In fact the weekest links in many networks are these young bucks who think all they need is a rifle and back pack and a route to the hills, its amazing when you say to them " Aye you may survive but what about your mum, sister, gran, kids etc" most of em tend to have a rather romatic vision of survivalism.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Very true! And a great reason to have groups already in place. Any unit or group allows you to add your strenths to it while reinforcing your weaknesses. Great point. I'm so use to being in groups (from a military perspective) that you have a tendency to forget how important that crutch is.

Plus, I see camping as fun. Now I camp a bit differantly than most, but I fish for food and have bars or grain if I catch nothing. I like the test and the feeling for success. Most people aren't like that. But I think if it was viewed as more fun and less of a chore, survival could be second nature to all again.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
Wow way to greet a new member guys. In these dark times we need to be a little more understanding and maybe not take a post that may not be worded quite right to heart.

The new person you chase away today may take with them a piece of information that may have saved your behind tomorrow.

Remember we were all new once.

I can only act this way because I seem to remember my first day here... People like yourself helped me. But you are absolutly right, we don't have to be. We are. Plus I think in this subject, we might be a little more fogiving than say... UFO/Alien section. I dunno, but that's kind of what I've felt.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I didn't do the ripping... Just trying to help.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Just finishing up burning my survival books, and donating any and all gear to the Salvation army.

Sorry for the joke.

First off welcome to ATS, you will find the people on this site very knowledable and friendly. The survival forum is filled with people world wide offering a wealth of information and ideas on pretty much any topic you wish to discuss. For the most part, most are willing to offer advice and thoughts on any issue. Save one. Survival groups.

By and large, survivalists are fairly suspicious of others, we like to do things our way and with people we know and trust. The concept of starting a group with faceless people on the internet is simply not something you are going to find a good deal of support for.

Its been tried on here by some members much more senior than I, and they were met with a good deal of hesitation, so for someone new to come here and ask who wants to join up with them, well, you read some of the other posts to this thread.

Keep up with whats going on in these boards, you will find a wealth of information, and hopefully enough that you can begin to look around your personal community and begin to set up your group.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join