It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm sick of these new age people.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Good point I doubt if you aren't enlightened by now,why would one day everything changes,just another case of some dreamers who can't differenciate fantasy from reality,IMO it's a bunch of manure

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Well, I'm not going to address any of this anymore. This guy is clearly convinced of his righteousness. He can only see black and white. He's missing all of life's shades of gray, all the colors, all the everything else. There's more of everything else than we can even imagine. Perhaps one day something will happen to make him see the world in a more varied way.

Until then, OP, off into the sunset with you. Bon voyage!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Im a "new ager". I even work in the field professionally. But I never use so-called "quantum physics" because I think its lame for new-agers to need to use that in order to sound "legit" towards the public. New-Age-Teaching is not scientific and need not claim to be. Its a way of thinking and feeling which requires no approval from a PhD.

That said, as a "new ager" I object to something I see you continually doing in the threads you make:

1. Generalizing
2. Speaking in Absolutes

By doing this, you block yourself from the deeper truths of life and reality.

In your threads Ive seen you say stuff like...

"New agers are..."

"Liberals are..."

"Conservatives are..."

"Christians are..."

"Atheists are..."

"Google is..."

"The NWO is..."

By generalizing in this way, you forever only speak half-truths.

Rather than saying "new agers are", what about saying "some new agers are...". You'd be much closer to actual Truth.

Some examples Ive noticed by you(apart from this extremely generalized thread):

Evolution doesnt explain one thing

Instead of: "Evolution doesnt explain everything"

Why are people anti-Obama on ATS?

Instead of: "Are people on ATS anti-Obama?"

Why does the liberal media hate Obama?

Instead of: "Is the liberal media also critical of Obama?"

Does God hate Republicans?

Why are scammers allowed to make books and appear on TV?

Instead of: Scammers who are allowed to make books and appear on TV.

ATS is being tracked

Instead of: "Is ATS being tracked?" - turns out that Google is indeed tracking ATS.

So in summary: Yes Im a new ager. No, I dont care about quantum-physics in the buzz-word sense its being used.

Sorry to sound preachy, but I really do think you could go deeper if you know what generalizations are and avoid making them when they are inappropriate.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I hear people talk about dimensions and ascension and I just laugh my arse off.They don't want to believe one ridiculous story so they invent their own hokey version of spirituality that they can't prove.To all who believe that garbage I say this....lets see you ascend then.
Let me guess??No ascension to another dimension bcuz the vibrational levels were not right. Suuuure!!

Ever see a mindreading magician be put on the spot...they just deflect it by saying the vibrations aren't right.Hmmmmm
So new agers...if thisis for real then lets see it....no excuses.Lets see you ascend.
Get a vid cam and let us all see.
Thats my opinion.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
From what i have heard quantum physics does not explain the new age. Scientists just show there ignorance when they imply that the two are the same.

That bull about, poistive thinking is so rubbish. Ask those sitting in gitmo, that did nothing wrong.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Nikola Tesla was actually quite a "New Ager" in his time.

And by your standards.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
edit - no content

[edit on 7-12-2008 by depth om]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I don't have a thing against people who want to be enlightened I just hate these people that try to popularize it.
Hating someone or a group over an idea or belief is one of the many things that wrong with this world.If someones ideas or belief system causes you so much grief then I would
suggest staying away from any board that has the word metaphysics in its title.

Hate is word that should not be thrown around without thinking of the real meaning of it.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Tricky63]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I admit I've never read Sylvia Brown, for the non-scientific and non-spiritual reason that I hate the cover art on all her books that I've ever seen

And I tend to be turned off when people use quantum physics as anything more than a metaphor in spiritual works. Mostly for the reason that Skyfloating states above: the appeal to a branch of science to legitimate one's belief suggests that the belief is not enough in itself.

I suppose it's possible that quantum physics will eventually be turned into practical science and will indeed explain some of the spiritual phenomena that "new agers" are interested in. But for now I'll leave it more or less to the physicists; read up on it because it's interesting; and avoid applying it to things it was never meant to be applied to.

But there are entire branches of so-called "new ageism" that have nothing whatsoever to do with quantum physics. Remember that the New Age beliefs have been around under that name for probably forty years now, and draw heavily on traditions that are as old as any other belief system. The whole quantum physics fad is a relatively new one, and it will no doubt either reshape itself into something more true to either the physics or the spirituality, or fade away.

I have read a bit of New Age literature, and I have carried away something of value from all of it. But I've never found a single author who rang completely true to my experience of the world or the spirit. Who knows, maybe Sylvia Brown would be the perfect guru for me and I'm missing out just because I dislike her publisher's artistic taste. Even if she's not, I bet there is something I could learn from her books.

One thing about the individual spiritual journey: you can take the valuable insights you find in different traditions and hold them close, but let those that seem faddish or poorly thought out go.

From my own experiences, I recommend always leaving open the possibility of bringing them back in to your thinking as you grow.

But rather than begin your spiritual journey by deciding everything you are not, why not try to pick out just one or two things that you do agree with?

And don't buy into the idea that if science doesn't back it up, it doesn't exist or matter. Science will never tell us our purpose – it's not meant to.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Ive never touched a Sylvia Browne book for the same reason

I enjoy strolling through the new-age sections at bookstores, but every time I see those....

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Try What the Bleep Do We Know? If you are looking for a better understanding of how quantum physics fits into the whole new age/spiritualist movement. Syla Brown is a proven fake, I wouldn't associate her with anything new age.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I didn't bother to read all the replies simply because "spiritualism" isn't one of my fav subjects but i'll tell you this.

Imo,"priorities" is an important subject for all of us.It's about,what is a priority for us and what not.
Somehow,God,angels,demons etc etc etc etc......are one of most people's priorities.

If not always,most of the time,i have an open mind so i wont mind to be proved wrong by those people for not "preparing" and "enlighting" myself.However,i like following logic and common sense and since the possibilities about spiritualism-being-real aren't so many i've placed it low in my priorities.

Other than that,"religion" is a key word and when that word is in a subject then we also are talking about "followers","money" and "power" (i'm pretty sure there are more but i can't think of anything else right now
).

Also...we do live in a time where the internet "plays ball".What i mean:
Since plenty and random (by random i mean correct and false) knowledge is flowing around in internet people have the way to find anything they want,sometimes,with the form they want it and use it for their own reasons.
Then...those "sources" are becoming "facts" since....[sarcasm]internet knows best...[/sarcasm]lol!
The "leaders" pick what they can use,they show it to the people and the people....don't need anything further to follow.

Meh,enough with my rant.I got carried away.

(remember peeps.this is just my humble opinion
)

If anyone's going to reply to me,please tell me where i can ask about U2U errors since i can't find the bloody section....!!oneone *hides in shame*

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

An enlightened person will not interact with you or me until we raise our level. Those that say they are enlightened are only lying to them selves and if people choose to follow, well they have chosen a false path because they are not aware, to be completely aware means to be enlightened. Reality can be played like a game, however only a select few actually know the rules and guidelines.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
N A B .....nab, they call it New age Bull$%^&.....

It is just another religion now basically.....I am so against religion it is not even funny.

Spirituality should be an inner, personal thing.

spirituality to ME, is basically how I treat myself, how I treat others, and how I allow or disallow others to treat me. It is my basic integrity.

A lot of new age stuff that I have read basically says, there is no such thing as bad.....so just roll over and let them steal the shirt of your back, because Hey! That is part of thier experience...blah blah blah....

basically they justify every violation someone else commits, and open themselves us to all kinds of abuse.

I am all for enlightenmet, etc, but PERSONAL enlightenment....not a bunch of different doctrines from ANYWHERE.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

what is "real" science?

I'd love an explanation that's really bullet proof

:-)

I think what you hate is that people are willing to believe something that can't be proven - because you require proof for yourself - you admire a certain way of thinking - and so you find it difficult to understand or respect them

you should realize that many of us are amazed by some of the things science has proven - and are enticed by the possibilities that science has only suggested

New-Agers is a huge - undefined category

but, shooting past conventional religion, yet unable to give up the idea that there is more to this existence than meets the eye - many people are completely willing to theorize - even using information that they don't truly understand

how is that deserving of hate?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Real science is the study of life the Universe and everything using PROVABLE FACTS. There is a reason why science has the scientific method. The scientific method is not used to prove God false. It is used to prove ideas true so certain things are provable under any situations. With this false science, these people are claiming that even if it doesn't work under the scientific method that it is still true and that it has worked for so many people. Maybe so, but there are a lot of PROVABLE ideas in psychology and social sciences, and, they can find out the same kind of information in these social sciences as these enlightenment people are trying to spread, but the difference is, that these people who are in social science fields, are actually proving their ideas with facts and studies.

I hate what they do. I don't hate them completely, you're throwing a red herring at me, you're ignoring the bulk of my argument and throwing something irrelevant at me. I don't appreciate the fact that they've scammed several millions of people. I like their ideas, I don't like how they're passing it as fact.

And please, I've watched What the Bleep Do we Know, and that's what first cause me to doubt this whole new agy stuff. I also believe that spiritualism should come from within. Don't accuse me of being a skeptic. I love some of this spiritual stuff but I just don't like the new age stuff because they scam so many people into believing a false hope. What's wrong with having false hope? How would you like being lied to? I don't like being lied to.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
what you need is some of them people from bill and teds bogus journey, when they get the hot mom and she is being haunted by the two evil usses. and the good evil usses have to save the day

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Couldn't put it better myself.

I think OP is having an issue with all this "enlightenment" stuff.

Different people find it or looking for it in different places.

But hey, what the bleep do I know.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by yanchek]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It's not just quantum, by general relativity matter and energy have a relationship, and energy appears in Brane theory. Ultimately energy has a huge part to play and is not fully explained. There are ways to approach the unknown, intuitive, spiritual, rational and more. While the scientists work on the rational, 'new age people work' at it intuitively and spiritually which also can help us through, and there people who overlap the two groups.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join