It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism vs Theism - Why Choose?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I see lots of threads about jesus and whether or not he was real and a thousand proofs of this and that. Lots of people are branded as atheists when they reply to the semi-flame threads.

Of course there are atheists as well. And gnostics and so on. The point I'm making is why would you define yourself as one or the other? Why can't it be ok to believe in god at 5am but to believe in nothing at noon? Surely this is a more realistic approach to begin with.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
choosing a religion is not like choosing a meal. you cant have Buddha for breakfast Jesus for lunch and Moses for dinner. these are your beliefs they should be consistent not changed for every whim. if you change your beliefs every hour then how do you know what beliefs are worth protecting or standing up for?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

Since I don't really understand your post, I'm replying to the thread title.

You can't really choose or change what you believe in. It's like choosing who you love, instead of learning who you love. It's like changing your likes and dislikes.

Of course, being uncertain may make you believe in a god one minute, but not believe in one the next.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
it sounds like you're on my side. how COULD you cahnge your likes and dislikes? you like eating when you're hungry and you like working when you're broke. you like anything based on the situation.

why should religion be any different? why should it be posed as superceeding everything else you want to think about. surely you only contemplate religion at certain times of the week.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Why can't it be ok to believe in god at 5am but to believe in nothing at noon?

wow...I am not sure how to respond without inflating your ego...

this is one of the greatest queries I've ever heard posed...

Here is my answer...it IS ok...why? because it isn't my business how they run their lives

nor is it yours...or a Christian's...or a Pagan's...or anybody

well said...I salute you

PS...when I first wrote it I said saute you...thaqt's messed up but funny :-p

-Kyo

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
my mom got the belive that you should never ever change your religion in your lifetime and stick to that you have been born to,
usually most people really act like this.

other people change their belives, or lets better say: develop.
some being born strict christians learn, read, think and one day they call themselves no longer christians but buddhists, or moslems or atheists or gnostics or what ever.
this could happen to everybody of any religion and spirtiual mentality

it is a kind of process.
but nonetheless these people change their belives and mentality every day or every hour.

as somebody stated before: it is you mentality, your spirituality but not a meal!

but it is very essential for human beings, even if they choose to be atheistic.

Edn

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

You cant change your belief if you never chose one in the first place.

I was born with no belief, i wasn't a theist i wanst an atheist this applies to anyone who is born, however since its common place to assume the belief of your parents i became of no choice of my own a christian. For years I just assumed that thats the way it was, heck I didnt even know about other religions for a while, then i started thinking for myself and realised that 'god' just didnt make any sense at all.

so now I believe my own thing, I am not tied to any one religion and believe that it is silly to do so. If i read or see something that makes sense to me that I didnt already know about I may incorporate it into my own thinking and beliefs.

So the core of what I believe may never change but the theories and ideas surrounding them are in constant evolution.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Edn

but which kid choose their belifes?
they are put into a faith, raised in that faith, and maybe live in that faith and than one day they start thinking of themselve, detect websites, start discussing, read books ………
……… and than they might quit their faith.
this is what i call change faith or belive!

and sometimes people don.t change on real free will but due to indoctrination from whatever side.

Edn

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

No kid chooses there belief there given one by there parents and told thats what they belive, its not of course the kid doesn't believe in anything but you listen to your parents and assume they must be right so you believe what they tell you to believe.

When a person can make an informed decision and choose to believe something, that is when they have chosen what the believe

top topics

join