It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama banking on large-scale public works project

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Obama banking on large-scale public works project

news.yahoo.com

CHICAGO – President-elect Barack Obama said Saturday he wants to revive the economy through a job-creating public works plan on a scale unseen since the building program of the interstate highway system in the 1950s.

He offered no price estimate for the grand plan, how the money might be divided or the effect on the country's financial health at a time of burgeoning deficits.

The ideas were outlined in the weekly radio address the day after the government reported that employers cut 533,000 jobs in November, the most in 34 years. They are part of a vision for a massive economy recovery plan Obama wants Congress to pass and have waiting on his desk when he takes office Jan. 20.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
It appears that the long-awaited Alternative Choice seeks alternative ways to fight the anorexic economy. Public projects were used to diminish the effects of the Great Depression, and so the Obama administration has been already loading their guns to protect the economy from further wounds. Obama must have been told not to take this situation lightly.

The US infrastructure really needs some overhaul -- just play the video with a Minnesota bridge collapsing one more time. On the other hand, the huge government indebtedness makes the project risky -- as the article suggests. Can the Americans afford all that restoration work?

In any rate, the decision to fix the infrastructure is more useful than to build a new fleet of aircraft careers. All these Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans would surely deserve a better roads to travel on.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I am not a democrat. I did not vote for Obama. The program he is outlining, as well as I have been able to to determine, is to rebuild the infrastructure, convert public buildings to green, and make sure every child has access to the internet. (I hope he's planning on bringing DSL or Broadband to rural area like mine.). I don't necessarily agree with these programs, but in my small town, we are having shootings every night. I would love to see these people being pulled off the streets, being put in dorms, and letting them earn some money rather than being on the dole all the time. (I'm not sexist. Same for the women!)

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
These programs will definitely benefit our aging Eisenhower Highway system. In my area of Ohio the roads and bridges take a beating from the Winter season and could use the help also. I'm not an Obama fan, but we'll see how this works out. I smell problems ahead with the contracts though. I hope they think it all the way through.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Well, Roosvelt did it in 1933, so why not. Seems like a good idea to give people jobs to get thing rolling again.
In 1933 the ending of prohibition was also a kicker.
I think that legalizing hemp would be an even bigger kicker.
I don't mean recreational hemp, I mean business hemp, for making, paper, cloth, fuel, food and a few other things.
Whole new industries would open up.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
If you go back and study Roosevelt's program, the New Deal didn't really work. It took WWII, the Lend-Lease Program, and finally, the US entering the war, to end the depression. And the reason the depression lasted so long was because of government interference. (Republican and Democrat, but mainly Democrats).
I fear Obama's plan may actually draw out the recession, or even force it into a depression. All we can do is wait and see. (And stockpile plenty of food and ammo.)

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
does he actually go into details of what these public works projects will be?

people are assuming its infrastructure like roads

if there are no jobs to drive to, why bother fixing the roads?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

That can only be a good thing. I used to drive I-80 or I-90 in a big rig at least once a week headed for Iowa and back to Maine! I dreaded it. More flat tires. more suspension problems, just plainly more maintainance on vehicles in general. One of two states with the worst road surfaces I have ever run on!

ZIndo

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
does he actually go into details of what these public works projects will be?

people are assuming its infrastructure like roads

if there are no jobs to drive to, why bother fixing the roads?

The JOBs to drive to will be the fixing of the roads, bridges, rail roads, federal buildings, state buildings, National Parks, National Seashores, the OHS will mushroom, as well as the TSA, perhaps even actually build the fence along the Mexican border, More health care workers for the VA, State and federal hospitals, USGS, NOAH, FBI
Refurbishing Military Bases,

I'm all for supporting Obama to keep America from looking any more shabby than it already does and actually helping the taxpaying man in the street rather than Corporate welfare, even when the corporations are outsourcing.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Public works project is gang stalking i reckon, lol. There are plenty out there willling to follow people around and make there lifes hell.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
My Question is... Where is the money coming from for these projects?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but we don't exactly manufacture a whole lot of stuff in the US anymore, so where are the materials going to come from to do these projects?

How are we going to pay for the materials?

WHAAA said:

More health care workers for the VA, State and federal hospitals, USGS, NOAH, FBI

Again where is the money going to come from? We are already over $10 TRILLION in debt now!!!

Do we allow the government to put us even further in debt (all the while never really fixing the problems that got us to this point in the first place) so that these programs can happen?

HOW CAN WE FIX THE PROBLEM OF TOO MUCH DEBT CREATING MORE DEBT???

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
All you have to do is ask the Japanese if this type of thing works. It really does not.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
My Question is... Where is the money coming from for these projects?

How much money will be saved if we don't have to fight needless wars and pay war profiteers and companies that could care less about our brave fighting men an women. All they care about is the bottom line.
How much will be saved?

I would much rather put money into infrastructure than invade countries that never attacked us.

money.cnn.com...

[edit on 20-12-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Maybe you are not aware of this, but we already BORROW the money to fight the war in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Nothing will actually be saved by not being there, in fact, MORE resources are going to need to go to our military as this global meltdown continues - to give them the resources to protect us right here at home

You are aware that there are THREE Russian war ships sitting off the coast of Cuba RIGHT NOW??

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It is true we don't manufacture a lot in this country any longer. But perhaps, when we start working on the infrastructure, especially the highways, there will be a need for heavy equipment. Heavy equipment that is usually manufactured in the US.
If we are building new buildings (hospitals, schools, etc.) these buildings will need steel. Nucor steel will be happy to provide the necessary raw material(rolled steel).
If we are to increase healthcare coverage, as Obama has promised, there will be a need for a variety of low tech and high tech equipment, which can be and usually is manufactured in the US.
What is needed is something that will persuade corporations that have left the US for other countries to bring their businesses back home. This means cutting corporate taxes,(something Democrats are usually loathe to do) an demanding concessions from Unions. (Something else Democrats are loathe to do.)
If we are going to bring this country back to it's former glory(something I know a lot of its citizens don't want to do.) then we need to have some honest compromise between Dems and Repubs.
I realize that we will not be able to compromise on everything. For example, I will not compromise my position on abortion, simply because it goes against everything I stand for morally. I feel it is murder.
However, while I feel the Medicaid program is greatly abused, I see a need for it. There are people out there who genuinely need the help, and we need to make sure these people don't fall through the cracks. By the same token, we need to make sure that the people who don't need to be recieving it are removed from the rolls.
We cannot continue the New Deal and the Great Society forever. But these programs can be modified. In some cases they need to be downsized. In other cases, they need to be expanded. Each program needs to be put on the table and looked at. We don't need the input of lobbiests or special interest groups looking over the shoulders of Congressmen as they look at these programs. The only ones who need to be looking over their shoulders are the constiuents, who offer their input, tell them what they think, and in most cases, tell them exactly what to do. And those Congressmen, those Senators and Representatives MUST vote the way their constiuents tell them. (Unlike the way they did on the bail out bill.)
It is my opinion that one more time, just one more time of ignoring what the voters want may well lead to a voter uprising, and a massive recall of elected officials.
We can only hope!

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Does this picture not say it all?

If you want to know if his policies are going to work, just ask Japan.
(**Spoiler Alert!!! It didn't work, it was a miserable failure**)

After Obama is done his time in office, Americas debt will be more than it's GDP. The only type of job left available will be a government job.

[edit on 22-12-2008 by Cool Hand Luke]

[edit on 22-12-2008 by Cool Hand Luke]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The New Deal worked. It took about 10 years to do so, but FDR's program of infusing large sums of money into the economy was effective. Yes, World War II also helped the economy but to deny Roosevelt the credit due just because he was a Democrat is just bull-headed.

Hundreds of well-known economists have supported this theory. It was also Bush and Paulson's plan when they proposed the 750B bailout for the banks. But they wanted to stop with helping the rich. Obama's program, like Roosevelt's, is aimed at the average citizen.

Putting millions of people to work will create that many more consumers, who will be able to buy more goods and keep the economy humming. As has already been pointed out, huge infrastructure jobs will keep manufacturers busy supplying equipment and other needed materials.

Obama's plan is still a gamble...as several people have said earlier it hasn't seemd to help Japan thus far. But nothing else has worked either.

The biggest obstacle is if the current recession (I think it's already a depression) isn't completely fixed during the first month or two of Obama's administration many people will start screaming to impeach him.

The current crisis has been years in the making. It will take years to get us out of it. It seems counterintuitive to borrow more money to get us out of debt, but it may well be the best solution.

[edit on 23-12-2008 by Sestias]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Humm, will this give those who still have a job a good pay raise? I guess I didn`t see that part of it. What WILL it do for those still working? Will it make paying for their homes and cars easier? Will it make the banks loan out money again? Will it keep the interest rates down so people won`t have to work till the day they die, just to pay for their homes and credit cards?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

3 Russian warships...

Meh, so what? What do you think that little group is going to do. Plenty of us grew up in the Cold War, and 3 ships from anywhere don't concern me too much. Now if it were a REAL task group of 15 or 20 with a couple ssgns thrown in, then we'd talk.

I am of the opinion that whether or not Obama's plan has any positive affect on the depression or sends the country a little further down the hole, at least we the everyday citizens of this country will be getting something of value for the money spent.

The whole public works plan is projected to cost much less than the good old boy pat on the butt we just gave the investment bankers, so I'm all for it.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Meh??? Oh boy, no wonder this country is going down the crapper fast. We are so scroomed.

Russian and Venezuelan navies doing joint exercises and it's no big deal?

Russia wants to station nuclear bombers in Cuba and it's no big deal?

Russia is mad at the US for it's interference in the Georgian conflict and it's plan to have a European missile shield and it's no big deal?

I know - it's so hard to imagine that war could be fought on our soil, but believe me, if there IS another big war, this country WILL be the battle ground.

But then again, that may be exactly what Obama is waiting for, if resources are completely destroyed, then we have to start production to replace them - that sure could stimulate the economy. Just like WWII did for FDR.

But what do I know? I do know that Obama is not a Messiah, that's for sure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join