It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I have to explain... You'll never understand.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This thread is somethig I have been wondering for quite some time.

What is the abiity of a person to try and understand something they know nothing about?

I mean, they say that the pain a woman feels in labor is like a man passing a gall stone the size of a peach... But can we really grasp it?

In the intrest of increasing all those who view this thread to relate better with their fellow man, I would like to put this out.

We can close our eyes and "feel" what it's like to be blind, but when we delve deeper into the human psyche it seems that there seems to be less understanding. Either that or humans aren't willing or able to grasp differances.

I'd like to open this to anyone with an experiance that they wish someone to be better by maybe having the opprotunity to learn what it's like. Some ideas might be phychics, metaphysical, ghosts/possessions.

The floor is yours dear reader. I anxiously look forward at perhaps helping all of us here at ATS maybe be able to create a little more than just understanding... Maybe enlightenment.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I'm not really sure what you are asking but here goes.

Getting hit in the face with an airbag in a low speed fender bender feels like getting hit in the face by a mac truck an smells like fireworks.

Having a head on collision with another car feels nothing like it looks like it would feel when you see those slow motion crash test dummy videos.

Having your dislocated knee set by a doctor will start with pain followed by nausea then a huge feeling of happiness, relief, and satisfaction followed by knee phobias and occasional knee nightmares. Setting your other dislocated knee while drunk kinda feels like getting stuck by lightning. You see a flash of light and everything, and ends with satisfaction and the feeling of being one bad mo-fo, until you have to explain it to your doc why you did it your self.

Broken tailbones are very painful for months. Your feet get real tired from having to stand a lot as there is not much that can be done for it.

A broken/split sternum is also very painful with every breath you take, and is much, much more so when you sneeze.

Getting stabbed in the nose with a pocked knife feels like getting punched in the nose.

And last but not least….

Having every square inch of you face and neck covered with poison sumach itches like I cannot put into words.

Sorry, I’m not trying to make light of your tread. I just felt like a little comedy would get the point across when it comes to descriptions of pain.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
This thread is somethig I have been wondering for quite some time.

What is the abiity of a person to try and understand something they know nothing about?

I mean, they say that the pain a woman feels in labor is like a man passing a gall stone the size of a peach... But can we really grasp it?

No.

You can't.

In my case it was like passing 2 peaches in a row.

I don't know what it is like to be blind or paralyzed, but I do often write from a male perspective when I write stories. Some of the physical and mental aspects of that, I just try to characterized to the best of my ability, based on observations.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
You don't ask for a persepctive from someone in the situation you are writing about? (ie: if they are paralized ask or watch a documentery about living with paralasis)? I know that in my writings, it would have been imposible to get turely into the charactor withot that kind of background.

With the exceptions of zombies.. I just haven't been able to stop one from wanting to chew my head off long enough to find their modivation.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
You don't ask for a persepctive from someone in the situation you are writing about? (ie: if they are paralized ask or watch a documentery about living with paralasis)? I know that in my writings, it would have been imposible to get turely into the charactor withot that kind of background.

OF course I do, but it's still my best attempt to describe something based on someone else's best attempt to tell me how it feels.

new topics

top topics

join