It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uterus Removal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Has anyone here been of a mind to have this procedure done on purpose-for no other reason than to get rid of it to end menstration and any possibility of child birth? What are the risks and have you had any negative side effects?. How did you go about the procedure, or, is there a company who would make use of 'the contraption'.

I have superstitions and concerns over the donation of my ovaries, and I have as well heard they are an important component of the body's balance-but is the uterus itself really neccesary?

I don't see that I'll ever decide for children. I've felt this way for all of my life, having the temporary sterilization procedure performed on my 21st birthday (when they would let me). But aside from the risk of uterine cancer, and the risk of an unwanted birth in a hypothetical NWO rape scenario with hospitals down and 2 traumatic births already, I don't see why I shouldn't and couldn't just avoid the remote possibilities of those scenarios and skip the messes each month.

Thoughts or submissions? Thank You...

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Very interesting thread. My wife had her uterus removed but not really by choice. She had and we have two children. She was always a heavy bleeder when she had her period. So bad you would think she was bleeding out. Her doctor suggested having the procedure done. She had it done. She still has her tubes and still produces eggs and I think that is partly for what you said...to keep a hormonal balance. It also allows her to have another child if she wanted to use her own egg and have another woman carry it. She wants another child. I think she is crazy.

One side effect I am aware of is she had a tubal pregnancy about 8 years ago and was in rough shape until it was terminated. No choice there. You can't carry a baby without a uterus. But, however, I think a woman could have a tubal pregnancy even with a uterus so I guess this is not a side effect.

Not sure about the side effects I guess, but I'm sure there is some good info out there on the legitimate medical sites. I've always liked pubmed.com

Just my two cents: you may end up in a different place someday and you may want to have children. That's what I would think about.

Peace!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

Thank you very much for your insightful feedback Excitable_Boy! You've given me hope that it will not be as difficult as I suspect (to get someone to yank this sucker!) That's crazy about your wife wanting another baby. I wish you both luck in the event that this is the case, that you will find a host without too much difficulty, and that all goes smooth.

Thank you again (you scored big points for the boys with your sharing unabashedly your knowledge of women's issues-see, I knew you guys were alright I couldn't have gotten a better call back from a grandmother of 17-wow! High five to your woman)

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I've also thought about it -- I don't see any children in my future - not mine away. If anything I would want to adopt. I haven't spoken to a Doctor about it, but Hormonal Imbalance is something I would be concerned about. I wouldn't want to start growing a beard or something - but then you could probably take hormone supplements to combat that kind of side affect.

EB I think you right - that it is possible to be come pregant in the tubes as opposed to the Uterus. I'm pretty sure I learned about that in BIO 30.

Whats this temporary sterilization you had done? It sounds kind of dangerous .... how exactly did they do it? I'm a little leary on trying that one out..

I'm not too sure what to tell you - but if you feel that its right for you - then perhaps its something to look further into. And only if you are CERTAIN that you don't want children in the future.

- Carrot

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I LOVE this topic.

You know they have actually successfully done a uterus transplant???

I had a cheeky website a while ago and I did a blog post like an advertisement.

1 Uterus for sale. Slightly used but in good shape. Added bonus 2 quality ovaries (some assembly required).

I instead had my tubes tied though I did have the option of having a hysterectomy.

There area lot of minor concerns when getting guts removed. Did you know that many women later on end up having to get their intestines held up after a hysterectomy? I didn't until talking to my doctor.

Then there's hormone issues. If you leave the ovaries you still get PMS but no period. If you take out all the plumbing you stand a good chance at ending up with a bit of a beard after time

There are also a lough of health related issues and possible diseases and complications in having all or part of your reproductive organs removed. Hormone supplements can increase the risk of strokes, heart attacks, cancers, high blood pressure, migraines....etc etc etc

Although I am looking forward to naturally ending PMS my big issue was shutting down the baby factory (or miscarriage factory more honestly). That and being allergic to latex made life really really irritating.

Did you know that a box of 3 (YES THREE) non-latex condoms costs almost 18.00 in Canada????? Sheesh.

Edit to add an apology if this seems a bit crass or overly cheeky.

Edited a second time to add more seriously:

I always wanted a small army of little Irish Italian kids. My 1st husband and I were agreed on this. Amazingly I could get pregnant at the very mention of sperm it seems yet could NOT carry to term. I was fortunate enough to hold onto my daughter (who was a twin) until the fifth month and she was delivered by emergency cecarian (sp) at 1LB 6oz.

The only other pregnancy that lasted was three months. After losing that one I said NO MORE. Done. The trauma emotionally and physically was too much.

Donating ovum is one thing but donating the actual ovaries... you need those. Well at least one to regulate your normal health and happiness. And there is no guarantee that if donated they would actually work after transplant.

It's not being selfish to protect your own health first. I do agree that it is heart breaking to see couples who cannot have children who desperately want them, but it really is something you have to discuss with your doctor and make sure your health won't suffer.

Would I donate ovum?? No. 100% straight up it would kill me to have other babies out there with parts of me in them that aren't "mine" when we so desperately wanted a ton of em ourselves. Selfish but once again...my own health is first important and mental health is just as important.

The joy that another may get from a baby may give me great pause in saying that, but I just really don't think I could.

Now if they really progress in the art of transplanting uteri (the plural of uterus?) then I could see this being of amazing consequence to givers and receivers alike.

[edit on 12/7/2008 by justgeneric]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by justgeneric
Did you know that a box of 3 (YES THREE) non-latex condoms costs almost 18.00 in Canada????? Sheesh.

NEVERMIND. Just read the non-latex part.

- Carrot

[edit on 12/7/2008 by CA_Orot]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
My wife has ho hormonal issues and takes no supplements or anything and she doesn't have any kind of inbalance. She doesn't have a beard.

She read about uterus transplants also and discussed with me. It supposedly only works one time. So it's a one shot deal I guess. If it doesn't work the first time, there is no second chance.

My wife loves kids and that's why she wants another. She has discussed with her daughter to carry one and with my sister. CRAZY! It isn't going to happen. She also talks about wanting to adopt.

A woman's insides can end up sitting on her bladder when the utuerus is missing. It can cause her to have to pee alot and my wife has issues with laughing and peeing accidently. I can't tickle her else she will pee herself. She can't run without peeing issues. She is considering having the "lift" done and I think she should. But that is her decision.

edit to add: Thank you HugMyRek for the nice words. I love my wifey!

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Okay...the wife also says you can have the lining of the uterus removed to stop having periods and you can still have your uterus and stilll have the ability to bear children.

Something to keep in mind.

Peace!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I would most definitely consider it for myself.

Im 26 with one child, and will not be having anymore. Im not happy to take the birth control pill for the next 20+ years. My doctor is very unhelpful though, and almost dismisses my POV and concerns.

I personally think its a good choice.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I got the same reaction from my doctors as well Isis.

Rather than point out the medical reasons for NOT removing the uterus, most doctor's took the approach of "you may change your mind...you're still young."

I am pretty dang sure most women KNOW whether or not they want children or more children after they have one or two or even a few. It is beyond a doctor to TELL a woman that a hysterectomy is wrong citing the "might change your mind" argument. They haven't the right.

There are many pitfalls to having the uterus removed. With careful research and a good doctor...the choice can be made. The biggest argument seems to be the additional removal of ovaries.

Many women experience some serious side effects to that.

At 25 and several miscarriages I was 100% sure I would not be trying any longer. Yet the doctors insisted I would change my mind.

At 39, allergic to latex, too aged to remain on estrogen based birth control, and continual serious hemorrhaging on Progesterone only pills...I was finally given the option of hysterectomy or tubal litigation.

I seriously considered a full hysterectomy and removal of one ovary that was highly prone to painful cysts.

All in all I weighed the pros and cons and opted for a tubal. Less invasive. I still have the option to have the right ovary and tube removed if the cysts continue (the last one was nearly the size of a golf ball and excruciating. Knock on wood it's been pretty calm in the regions

All in all, it's a choice that is open for women who have problems with their plumbing, of a certain age, or with a certain number of children already. Most Doctor's won't even suggest it otherwise.

Hug: if you have the option available, and have weighed all the pros and cons...if it's what YOU want then I say do it.

My mother is one who had it done years ago...the whole kit and kaboodle and an eye lift at the same damn time LMAO. She did have to get her intestines strung up a few years later but her health has been optimum. Only after several years did she have issues with hormones. Premarin is being prescribed in very, very light dosages these days due to cancer risks, so she has to put up with a few extra "goat hairs" on her chin and upper lip.

She does supplement with homeopathic vegetable hormones and says it seems to do the trick and is relatively safe.

You also need to consider the effects of menopause. Some women have it really bad...and others barely at all. Though it changes as the hormone levels go up and down.

Lots of things to consider.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CA_Orot
I've also thought about it -- I don't see any children in my future - not mine away. If anything I would want to adopt. I haven't spoken to a Doctor about it, but Hormonal Imbalance is something I would be concerned about. I wouldn't want to start growing a beard or something - but then you could probably take hormone supplements to combat that kind of side affect.

EB I think you right - that it is possible to be come pregant in the tubes as opposed to the Uterus. I'm pretty sure I learned about that in BIO 30.

Whats this temporary sterilization you had done? It sounds kind of dangerous .... how exactly did they do it? I'm a little leary on trying that one out..

I'm not too sure what to tell you - but if you feel that its right for you - then perhaps its something to look further into. And only if you are CERTAIN that you don't want children in the future.

- Carrot

I don't think you'll grow a beard, hah hah! There is probably a suppliment. Garners further research. Plenty of children to adopt. How would you choose? I mean, how does a person choose-

I'd take, like, 7, all the older ones, 'c'mon here's your room, don't be a nuisance and we'll get along just fine' 'Hey you! I said don't be a nuisance! What part of NU Ih Sance?!! ?!. No. Maybe not so good. I'm not sure I'd be able to foster, either. That one makes no sense to me. Revolving door.

Yes, I'm certain. No more children born of this one. Well, I can think of a few men who's genes I wouldn't mind being the prize bearer of-but their all in my head
(how convienient). 'Cides, who'd want a short, incredibly sturdy amblioptic autistic? ummm.... And through my experience of it in the context of everyone else, uh--no.

Childbirth based on love-and loves time is past. Someday, I hope to play mother to a pair of dogs who like the hills. What if I find it tomorrow--oh sure I want to bog myself for the next 20 when that trist ends a year later.
My first pregnancy was a badly thought out accident-but a blessing and a joy. The next 2 were parental managed rapes. What can I say, I had planned not to have kids in the first place.

The procedure was called a tubal ligatamy. It's a day surgery and I had to convince a panel of 'judges' to have it. I just put my foot down and spat it at them to the point where had they denied me they would have appeared publically as the corporate head of a wicked breeding program. And I meant it.

The decision was based upon my views on life and abortion. I believe life begins at conception. I myself 'would' have an abortion in most scenarios outside a heart endeared arrangement. It solves a problem on all sides--but for one. The government wanting to pump it's numbers. And yet-I don't want to have an abortion.

For those who don't know, the surgery is harmlessly simple but as with all anestesia scenarios, one can die from it-they slice in through the belly button, blow up the stomach cavity with a gas and insert a camera and tools to snip segments of the tubes connecting the ovaries to the uterus, and then solder(sp) those ends.

It is reverseable, can grow back together, and is not infallible; and tubal pregnancy is still a risk. Celebacy is the only foolproof way, of course, but, hey-I'm human. And I have gotten pregnant on the pill. The phrase "don't look at me I might get pregnant" comes to mind. Somebody else could have been this endowed.

So for me-in the rare event that I have intercourse-which really is rare, as I'm ugly as hell; as well as Washingtonians are not really a HOT lot--a bunch of dopers, felons, alcoholics, sex offenders, tax evaders and evangelists. (did I just describe the country pool?)

And
The condom fails-or there is not one, then in that event my thinking was, "Well, as a backup plan to not be forced to shunt that little spirit back to where it came--cause I'm certainly not letting it come in. I'd like to think I'm freeing it up to be born in a better place!".

The initial procedure solved that in a snap. I've always wanted my uterus out. It doesn't take from my feminitiy a bit.

I see it as responsibility, really. Though MANY will disagree on the logic, it's never really bothered me. Somewhere when I logged on and went to answer, I glimpsed 'successful transplant'-maybe there is someone who would prefer a living to a corpses uterus, if it is still viable. They can have it.

Just in general, I was thinking on the extreme side of religious meddlesomness and the 'go forth and populate' theory. We are populated, already. Being born does not result in an obligation to bear more. Only Adam and Eve were told to populate, I believe. I never heard where god said, hey everyone, make as many babies as you possibly can--in which case, I should have born at least 30 by now.
There are sooooo many bearing more.
No one will miss mine, in fact, I imagine a few sighs of relief. (oh thank god no more of that line..)

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by justgeneric

oh my gosh, you crack me up!! On the serious side, you've been so brave and your story is so sad. Your poor baby girl! She's truly going to be something, isn't she?
18 years or 3 months in the womb--it's all really the same, isn't it. You know them when you meet them, and if your like me it's pretty close to conception when they start to shout out. I feel so tragic for your losses--that really made me tear up!

Hey! Your funny as hell too. 18 bucks a box?!? That's like....one day in a healthy relationship, yikes! What's the gov tryin to say with that one? No nookie?

Kind of creepily seriously.
If you were ever to have changed your mind, to risk more of the same, and to be the guni pig of a transplant-if the Can gov would have approved it; I'd throw you my pouch in a second. Maybe it WILL help someone. I hadn't even thought of it before this thread. (thankyou..)

I'm curious justgeneric, Did they ever isolate why it was your children were not holding? And that is so very neat that one was rescued. 1lb...wow. I hope she is not the study of a twin separation at birth. Was her mate a boy or a girl? Do you talk to her about it or celebrate birthdays for the absent sibling?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Isis Is I
I would most definitely consider it for myself.

Im 26 with one child, and will not be having anymore. Im not happy to take the birth control pill for the next 20+ years. My doctor is very unhelpful though, and almost dismisses my POV and concerns.

I personally think its a good choice.

Alot of doctors are strange like that. It is rare that I hear of one actually listening and responding to the patient, rather they seem to push their own agenda, which might be as simple as something to do with the perks of the pharecutecal relationship itself. Are you in the states? Planned Parenthood has pamplets on the sterilzation procedure. I think I actually had mine done by a community health co-op in the city I had lived in, not planned parenthood; but through them they will likely work out the bugs your doctor is handing out.

Maybe time for a new doctor. I don't like what I don't know about what is in the pill either-or I'd be taking it to stop my period, which it does for me.

I've had depo shot-that was not bad, I had no side effects, and no period. But didn't like bearing my bum to a stranger every three months.

I've had IUD--that was awful nothing but chronic pain and infections.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
My wife has ho hormonal issues and takes no supplements or anything and she doesn't have any kind of inbalance. She doesn't have a beard.

She read about uterus transplants also and discussed with me. It supposedly only works one time. So it's a one shot deal I guess. If it doesn't work the first time, there is no second chance.

My wife loves kids and that's why she wants another. She has discussed with her daughter to carry one and with my sister. CRAZY! It isn't going to happen. She also talks about wanting to adopt.

A woman's insides can end up sitting on her bladder when the utuerus is missing. It can cause her to have to pee alot and my wife has issues with laughing and peeing accidently. I can't tickle her else she will pee herself. She can't run without peeing issues. She is considering having the "lift" done and I think she should. But that is her decision.

edit to add: Thank you HugMyRek for the nice words. I love my wifey!

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Excitable_Boy]

hah hah, hah hah, ah hah. ahem. It's going to make me...pee? *dies laughing* Now THATS a side effect:

I suppose though, with a thai diet and an olympic regime things will pack in appropriately and stave off any pee-ing phenomena....I mean...there is stuff in there now sitting on the bladder, if only for the uterus.. I'm thinking, hours on abs of steel (pee-ing...really, yikes...may need to rethink, then again, no uterine cancer risk...)

oh funny!. I'm probably not compatible with your wife. My bloods an A-. I'm really going to start looking into donating this one though, where do I do that?
Ugh, pee-ing? sigh. I suppose that was the feedback i was looking for. I'd like to not add Depends to my grocery bill for a while yet. hmm... I'll be back.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
Okay...the wife also says you can have the lining of the uterus removed to stop having periods and you can still have your uterus and stilll have the ability to bear children.

Something to keep in mind.

Peace!

Now that one I don't 'get'. I understand, can understand, having the lining removed to end periods, but having children in a uterus that has had it's lining removed? It was my understanding that it is the lining and the biology that sticks to it that feeds and nuorishes(sp) the fetus. I'm missing how if you take that away the baby can be viable. Because that is why the baby holds, the menstral cycle doesn't drop down from the wall when an activated egg is present. But, if you take the lining away, what am I missing?!

I'd love to hear where I am wrong with this one.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by HugmyRek
I don't think you'll grow a beard, hah hah! There is probably a suppliment. Garners further research. Plenty of children to adopt. How would you choose? I mean, how does a person choose-

Well good, I don't want to grow a beard - that might cramp my style. LOL.

Well the way I see it, is there are children out there right now, who don't know that someone loves them. Children who are going to become products of their environment, and its not their fault.

I can't justify to myself, bringing a child into this world, when there are other kids out there, who need someone to love them. Who need a chance. Who need someone to believe in them. (Not to mention there is something about pregnancy that really bothers me...I don't know exactly what it is, but it creeps the heck out of me. I have no intention of EVER having children). When it comes to addopting, I don't know how I would choose...

Not to mention that with the Career Path I am headed down, I'll be 40 by the time I can actually settle down to have children. I'll be 32 by the time I get my PhD in Psychology, or I'll be 30 by the time I have my Masters in Psych and a Degree in Law. Either profession is demanding. I don't think I would have the necessary committment required to raise a child, until I'm settled into my profession. 40 is a "late case scenario", and having a child at 40 simply isn't wise. This is why to me, Adopting seems like the best option.

Well, I can think of a few men who's genes I wouldn't mind being the prize bearer of-but their all in my head
(how convienient).

LOL... I can think of a few too!

The procedure was called a tubal ligatamy. It's a day surgery and I had to convince a panel of 'judges' to have it. I just put my foot down and spat it at them to the point where had they denied me they would have appeared publically as the corporate head of a wicked breeding program. And I meant it.

Did you have any side affects due to the procedure?

- Carrot

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

No, just piece of mind. Yes. No side effects. There may have been discomfort for a few days. And I don't even recall if the 2 stiches--2 stiches! were removed or dissolving. It was really one of my fondest lifetime experiences. I don't remember ANY negativity to the experience at all whatsoever. They are just tiny little tubes. They take out a segment in each about a quarter or a half inch long, so that when the sperm travels up, it in essence hits a dead end. Having no where to go it is absorbed into the body. I have a feeling they did a REALLY good job too (thanks, team... :-) ), but, counting blessings and all.

It was a great experience. Much easier than an an annual, or having my wisdom teeth, much less painful than a toothache or a pulled muscle. Less painful than waxing. (what else..) I waitressed at a busy dinner house-and was right back at that. I had a small child, no issues lifting him, didn't stop us climbing trees and roaming hillsides.

I may have felt, 'ill' the rest of the day. After that things were more in my head than actually occurring. I was looking for problems in other words. I dont' have terrible menstraul cramps, I imagine the after effect pain for a couple days were like those, just for the simple fact (I didn't even feel the belly cut) of the tissues that were cut on the inside.
It was just a piece of cake.

And easier on the conscience for those years to know that in the unlikely scenario that I procreate purposefully, well, reversability.

I don't need reversability, nevertheless, there is something of 80% likelyhood that if done I could still carry. And I think that is attractive. Also it is a manual fix, no strange elements, poisions, FDA approved (lol) additives, you know....safe.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I wasn't aware of the rings, if I was I am sure I opted against them or would have opted against them to guard against 'sneaky' swimmers. But I recall expressing a GREAT concern over my fear of getting pregnant again, so I'm certain, at least in the cut and burn procedure when they said, 1/4 or 1/2 inch-they meant to address my POV and outlook with a high certainty that I would not be seeking a reversal. I'm surprised to find not much on a search of tubal ligation, rather, I found hits by searching female sterilizations. terminology-geez.
CA Orut, you might consider reading about the bands/rings. Though, I imagine the same amount of pain will apply, they will still need to cut through the bellybutton-well, I 'think' they can go vaginally too, I opted for the less invasive belly. And I didn't want any 'hardware'.

Sterilization

There are two options: Tubal Ligation-outpatient surgery to cut or tie the fallopian tubes, or Essure spring-like coils inserted to block the fallopian tubes.

Tubal ligation, commonly knows as “getting your tubes tied,” is a surgical sterilization technique for women. This procedure closes the fallopian tubes, and stops the egg from traveling to the uterus from the ovary. It also prevents sperm from reaching the fallopian tube to fertilize an egg. In a tubal ligation, fallopian tubes are cut, burned, or blocked with rings, bands or clips. The surgery is effective immediately. Tubal ligations are 99.5% effective as birth control. They do not protect against sexually transmitted infections, including HIV/AIDS.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I found one called "Essure"--but I can't find what it is made of.
It looks like and reads like "a man made thing stuck in your tubes in which your flesh fills in the gaps of the product and cuts off the probability of fertility". But, I can't find what it is made out of. It sounds disgusting.

This is scary, the article says that people used to be forced to be sterilized if they were a minority.

Essure Tubal Ligation Alternative

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Wow, I am so disappointed to find what I read today on the net. We have been transplanting hearts for 40 years to allow a failing body life, but not once have we successfully transplanted a uterus to allow a healthy sterile woman birth. They say the saudi's did one once. 99 days and a reject is not a success. Also, somewhere I read that in testing uterus's are taken without donor permission. Alot on the table the next years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join