My Religious Experiment

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
well this might sound bad but its definitely not as bad as the milgrim experiment or the stanford prison experiment so bear with me.

okay this is basically what will happen. we would get 50 babies and raise them in a religion free environment. then why they are old enough 16-21 i will send them to live in another isolated place so they can make a community. and i will leave and observe. the question i will attempt to answer is that if they have no past experience of religion or even hearing the word god then will they still think of something higher then themselves to lead them.

now lets say i go through with this experiment (hypothetical question i don't have the funds or connections to actually do it) what should i include.

modern technology? if i do they might start worshiping t.v. or something. no technology and im basically making these people go from the stone age up.

should i intervene? like if someone is sick should i help or let them die? should i provide food in case of famine?

their level of education? what should it be? just the basics plus some survival skills or should i get them through harvard first?

im sure i have more questions and more things to add but this is the experiment in a nutshell. any thoughts of how to improve it or even if it should be done?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I indeed think that technology should be void. I feel that you may be right... They may worship it.

Medacine is kind of the same though. Even though you don't want to let the subjects die, they might praise the god of penisilin.

I'd wager a guess and say that they would evolve to worship the one thing that gave them what they needed, just like early generations did, and worship the sun.

Since you are basically bringing the subjects back in time (withot religion and technology), I'd have to think that they'd evolve as we have already.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Would they have any knowledge of said experiment? And would they be in regular contact with you or anyone else on the outside? Or would you be living with them?

Too many variables to consider I think.

They may even begin to see you as 'God'.

Need more information on how they would be raised and what knowledge they would have access too.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The more I think about it... The more I have to think that we, as a society, would evolve just as we already have. If your experiment was without science and technology, then your subjects would be left to fend for themselves.

If any of this is off, then naturally, it will sway my outcome.

But the experiment you have propsed has already occured in our prehistory. Ergo... I can only believe that it would repeat.

Now, should you include technology or science, I think the subject might be geared more tto the Egyptian beliefs where priest had the knowledge and the commo person could not dispute it because of the "amazing" power the priests had.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

i dont think it will go as it happened with us. simply because i believe humans were acted on by an outside source (aliens god whatever) so this would show me evidence on whether or not people would turn to god or a higher power if they didnt even know what it was jsut to find answers

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
lol
It's funny because I too have also thought of his experiment - although I wish to never see a day something like this happens - for the sake of flat out human cruelty - they would be always looked at as subjects, and they wouldn't even know it.

Originally posted by Mental Oasis
Would they have any knowledge of said experiment? And would they be in regular contact with you or anyone else on the outside? Or would you be living with them?

Too many variables to consider I think.

They may even begin to see you as 'God'.

You could basically imagine the same thing as the "truman show" If enough people worked together on a project and created an alternate life/society/universe if you will - it would be a show - to see the semi-controlled unconditional human behavior and development.

reply to post by N. Tesla

You also have to consider the "God gene" if there is such a thing. Basically if the parents of the babies had a history or not with the belief in God.
so the babies are or are not predisposed to a way of thinking.

Considering if the experiment was in modern or somewhat modern. These kids turn-adults will want to know whats out there. If it is a controlled experiment like the Truman show, you can see the limitations if they want to leave.
Because of our modern society, I don't think one can grow up with access to the internet/t.v and never be exposed to the thought of God.
And if you take away modern communication and travel and leave them to a primitive culture - then they would be left with the sun the stars and their dreams to make sense of the world (the technical explanations)
Then you will have to think about their language, source of food if they almost die, - you have to protect them without intervening unexplainably.
If you did - I think they would just end up worshiping you for protecting them.

But consider how long the experiment goes on....what if this lasted years, decades - would this experiment civilization explain something similar to a God - would they invent their own religion, book, idols?

[edit on 6-12-2008 by juveous]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I think if they had a good education, including science, they wouldn't ever think of where they came from. I think that's why religion originated... People started wondering where they came from and looking to the sky, the only place they hadn't seen and explored. They eventually concluded that something "out there" must have "created" them... and the story began. The story has been honed and refined through the years until we have our modern day religions.

And along with religion, we have learned about science, the big bang, how we most likely got here and evolution. This is in direct conflict with the "story" of religion. So, if these kids were taught science, they wouldn't have any reason to look into the sky and make up the story of how we got here and where we're going when we die.

My advice would be to treat them exactly as you would in "this life" except devoid of anything religion. That means only pre-approved TV shows. No mention of God or religion at all. But I think you should give them access to everything you can without subjecting them to anything religious.

I really wish you could do it. It sounds very interesting!

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Did you just watch The Village...?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think if they had a good education, including science, they wouldn't ever think of where they came from. I think that's why religion originated...
[edit on 6-12-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

Now that I think about it...This experiment will have to account for something...
history.
You would have to literally make up history.
Even the history of science itself - to avoid the mentioning of God/ or even the subject of Myth!
their is no ancient history explained without the testimonial story. - the story of explanation for that time period - including all Gods/myths/rituals.
With that being said - there is one major variable taken out of the experiment.
If you alter history - you are doing nothing but manipulating their environment/understanding.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

no i didnt watch that movie at all does it have to do with something similar to this experiment?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by juveous
You would have to literally make up history.

Avoiding all history about religion would be VERY difficult, indeed! Maybe history would be avoided altogether.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

no history? hmm this is getting more complex then i thought.

i would say leave them there as babies but then they would all die. it wouldnt be right to leave them alone until 16-21. history is a problem so is the "god gene"?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
reply to post by Jkd Up

i dont think it will go as it happened with us. simply because i believe humans were acted on by an outside source (aliens god whatever) so this would show me evidence on whether or not people would turn to god or a higher power if they didnt even know what it was jsut to find answers

To answer your original question, I think it's an interesting thought experiment, but it would be completely and totally immoral and unethical.

If you did it anyway, though, I think they would invent some kind of metaphysics. Even if they had access to all the scientific knowledge we do about how we got here, and what the universe is, I think they would wonder why they were.

I don't think that the function of religion is actually to answer how things happen as much as why things happen, and science can't do that.

In reference to the bit I quoted above, I'm curious. Do you think that aliens or some other external force interfered with all the different cultures of the entire world? Or with some pre-human apes, from which we're all descended?

And if the external force was God, wouldn't God intervene with your hypothetical group of children? For that matter, assuming the aliens are way beyond our abilities technologically, wouldn't they do the same?

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

what i meant was that when humans were still cavemen and such they had "visitors". its my own personal opinion and i say this because many cultures from around the world all seem to have something about space ships or some kind of monsters.

i think that humans were acted upon by an outside force and that where all religion comes from.

the Egyptian gods simply could have been aliens who taught them how to do things. i don't know but that seems like an option.

my experiment would show whether or not humans would create gods if no one told them there is such a thing as god.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

I think that they would. Maybe not a monotheistic, Christian-style God, but some sort of religious belief system.

There is no culture that has ever been discovered that did not have some form of belief about the unknowable.

Logistically, the problem I see is: how would you know that the same external force you believe gave us religion wouldn't appear to your society? An alien race that could time its appearance so perfectly that every single human culture would have a memory of it, would find a way to make sure that this "new society" was not left out, wouldn't they?

While the ancient alien theory is interesting, and I won't rule out the possibility that ETs have been visiting Earth for ages, and even contributed to our cultures, I don't think they actually created belief.

If anything, I think maybe our beliefs were molded by such forces. But I think belief itself is intrinsic to the human condition.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

well see i will be watching them the whole time and if some kind of outside source acted on them i would have proof. so i might prove god or aliens either way win/win

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
From a historical perspective you might want to make sure multiple nationalities are in the group.

I just mention this because if a stranger wandered into the area of a different skin color they might bring up questions about existence and where they came from and they might worship them as a god like has occurred in past cultures.

Then again maybe this is what you would want to happen to see if they respond in the same manner that natives did when white men showed up. Or the tribe that built an airplane out of bamboo to honor the god that flew to their remote island and wait for that planes return.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
well see i will be watching them the whole time and if some kind of outside source acted on them i would have proof. so i might prove god or aliens either way win/win

And if the intervention occurs in dreams or visions? How do you decide whether a belief arising out of a visionary experience comes about naturally (by some sort of delusion, I assume) or by ETs who visit on the astral plane?

BTW: I'm just being difficult. As I said, it's an interesting thought experiment, so I'm just bringing up all the thoughts I can think about it

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

hey these questions need to be asked.

well if they started having dreams i would first run tests on air/water/food.

then i would try to see who was having them and at what frequency (every night, certain nights or never) maybe it could be explained by a past history of mental illness.

last stage would be to go into the community kidnap these people run tests and hopefully have enough time to bring them back

new topics

top topics

join