It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Whaling again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It's that time of the year again, the Japanese whaling, the protesters and the weak Australian government not wanting to cause trouble with the whalers.

They make me sick.

The only protest vessel set to disrupt Japan's annual whale hunt in Antarctic waters has arrived in Newcastle, with crew expecting an even tougher confrontation than last year.

Stopping for fuel and oil, Canadian captain Paul Watson said the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's vessel, the Steve Irwin, would head off to harass a fleet of eight Japanese whaling ships in the Southern Ocean late on Saturday night.

Captain Watson said he was expecting more heated scenes than he experienced a year ago, when two Sea Shepherd activists claimed they were mistreated by Japanese whalers after they boarded a harpoon boat to deliver an anti-whaling letter.

After the pair was released, anti-whaling activists admitted to having thrown about 12 stink bombs at a Japanese whaling ship. "As soon as we catch up with them (Japanese whalers) I'm sure there will be a confrontation with them," Captain Watson told AAP.

"We expect the Japanese whalers will be more aggressive this year than last, because they are becoming increasingly more difficult because they are losing more and more money."

He said the Rudd government had not shown support for his attempts to stop Japan's annual whale hunt.

"We don't have any bullet-proof vests because the Australian government wouldn't let us bring them in, so that puts our crew's lives at risk, but we'll take whatever precautions we can," he said.

He described the Australian government's attitude towards his mission as "hostile".

"They've been very passive-aggressive in trying to force us out of the country," he said.

"They've been totally uncooperative. My crew and I have been hassled about immigration."

Full article

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hmmm... Maybe they'll get boarded by the Pirates... Wouldn't that be funny. A whaling ship held hostage but no one cares about it or wants to pay the ransom.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Save the krill!
Nuke the baby humpbacks!

(Being the internet, I guess I have to specifically state that my intent is satirical. I like baby humpbacks)

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
i hate the japanese fishing habits. from the whaling to the cutting of the sharks fins and tossing them back in...i really can't stand it

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
What is the big deal about if where hunting whales or not really, We put other animals like chickens, turkeys, bovine, pigs through horrible s**t before we slatter them so im for it unless it spreads to all animals no favortism. You should see how turkeys and chickens are in a coup it is horrible like living in a closet.

Has anyone on here ever eaten whale btw; because if this is about why would you eat a whale or something please dont post that is just ignorant since all cultures and places consume foods others would consider disgusting.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by kvaniu]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kvaniu

It has to do with international agreements regarding whaling.

Japan has agreed to no commercial whaling. It chooses,however, to continue whaling, but only for "scientific research". Of course, once you kill the whale for "research", it would be shame to let all that meat go to waste. Especially since it brings such a good price.

I really hope the irony isn't lost.

[edit on 12/6/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by kvaniu

Japan has agreed to no commercial whaling. It chooses,however, to continue whaling, but only for "scientific research"

I read somewhere that they kill 10,000 whales a year. (probably more)
That's a lot of scientific research if you ask me.
They'd know whales better then they know humans by now.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WishForWings

I read somewhere that they kill 10,000 whales a year. (probably more)

You read wrong.

google is your friend.

top topics

join