It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have solved the big 3 auto money problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Since the nation is divided on bailing out the auto industry with one side saying we need to protect the jobs and the other saying let the free market decide, I have come up with a plan for those who want to save the auto industry.

For those who are more liberal with my tax dollar, and want me to foot the bill for Detroit I have the solution for you.

Here it is. Buy stock in the 3 car companies. The result will be an injection of capitol into their business and if their stock goes up then you make money, the workers keep their jobs and I don't have to give a dime to them.

Apparently the division is a Liberal/conservative one, and the election shows the liberals are in the majority now, so if you all got together, you could save the auto industry.

Lets look at the math.
63 million of you voted for The Democrat ticket
Detroit needs between 25 and 150 billion
so that means each of you need to invest between $400 and $2400 into the big 3 stocks

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Good idea but they will get bailed out, and all will send more jobs out the country and it will be “normal” business for them within 6 months. Workers will be laid off and they still will produce scrap as they have in the past. Nice thought!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Just give every tax paying citizen the money to buy two cars. Detroit will get their money, the backlog of cars sitting on lots will be sold, and the taxpayers will have something to show for their money. It is a win for everybody instead of a win only for the automakers.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
First thing to remember here is that they are asking for a LOAN. They have to repay this money. You're idea is a good one (albeit I doubt the Democrats will like footing the bill).

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

...And the economy wold be fixed if they gave each US citizen over the age of 18, $63,000 untaxed... But hell... We've been the land of trickle down to this long... Why change...

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by robwerden

Apparently the division is a Liberal/conservative one, and the election shows the liberals are in the majority now, so if you all got together, you could save the auto industry.

I don't see the division as liberal/conservative at all. I see it as those in power/everybody else. I have a few particularly smart friends who I like to talk politics with and NONE of them are in favor of this bailout, liberal or conservative. And we get into heated arguments all the time over stuff like this. I don't know who in the political arena supports the bailout but all I know is its a bad idea for everyone. Trying to turn liberals into bailout supporters is just going to turn this thread into another left/right bicker-fest anyway.

Buying stock in the auto industry would certainly inject them with capital, but honestly what are they going to do with it? What are they going to do with our tax dollars? The truth is, they're probably just gonna keep stagnating, while the execs fly around in their learjets and pimp the volt as the solution to all the world's troubles. Nothing new will happen and America still won't be able to compete with countries like Japan, Korea and China in auto manufacturing. It simply won't happen.

In America we used to have many manufacturing industries like the textile industry. However, as other countries began doing it cheaper we abandoned manufacturing and became an importer. We've done that with every industry except the damn autos, and why? So people can drive gas-guzzlers around that were made in the good 'ol US of A?

There really isn't a good reason to keep the industry around besides all of the jobs. The democrats will support the bailout to keep the unions on their side, and for that reason only. It sucks to say this but it isn't worth undermining America just to save those jobs, as numerous as they may be. Everyone knows the American auto industry is doomed, its just a matter of bailing them out for a little while longer or not.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
reply to post by groingrinder

...And the economy wold be fixed if they gave each US citizen over the age of 18, $63,000 untaxed...

Where is this idea coming from that Keynesian economics is going to save our country? It worked in the 40's with FDR but only because people got out and started building bridges and #. He didn't just give handouts, he gave them the opportunity to work. Simply giving everyone a bunch of money is just going to drop us further into our little debt hole. Bush tried his little stimulus check and everyone used it to pay bills. No economic stimulation whatsoever. The government really needs to SLOW DOWN with the spending, not speed it up.

new topics

top topics

join