It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Hi, not sure if this is posted in correct place but:

I remember reading that many vegetable seeds no longer grow vegetables that give seed again (so you can't re-grow and need to buy more seeds).

If so, can you still get seeds that don't do the above and if so what should I look out for?

Thanks v much.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
You have to look for the organic ones.I found a place here in Canada run by a couple out of their house.They are committed to keeping things natural. Heres a link.This is in Ottawa but I am sure they can mail it to you. www.seeds-organic.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Just for information:
"GURT is a genetically engineered technique whereby farmers would be forced to turn to their seed supplier each harvest to get new seeds. The seeds would only produce one harvest. After that the seeds from that harvest would commit ‘suicide’ and be unusable. There has been much hue and cry, correctly so, that this process, patented ‘suicide’ seeds, officially termed GURTs (Genetic Use Restriction Technologies), is a threat to poor farmers in developing countries like India or Brazil, who traditionally save their own seeds for the next planting. In fact, GURTs, more popularly referred to as Terminator seeds for the brutal manner in which they kill off plant reproduction possibilities, is a threat to the food security as well of North America, Western Europe, Japan and anywhere Monsanto and its elite cartel of GMO agribusiness partners enters a market.” www.globalresearch.ca...

There are conceptually two types of GURT.

1. v-GURT.
This type of GURT produces sterile seeds meaning that a farmer that had purchased seeds containing v-GURT technology could not save the seed from this crop for future planting. This would not have an immediate impact on the large number of farmers who use hybrid seeds, as they do not produce their own planting seeds, & instead buy specialized hybrid seeds from seed production companies. The technology is restricted at the plant variety level - hence the term v-GURT. Manufacturers of genetically enhanced crops would use this technology to protect their products from unauthorised use.
2. t-GURT.
A second type of GURT modifies a crop in such a way that the genetic enhancement engineered into the crop does not function until the crop plant is treated with a chemical that is sold by the biotechnology company. Farmers can save seeds for use each year. However, they do not get to use the enhanced trait in the crop unless they purchase the activator compound. The technology is restricted at the trait level - hence the term t-GURT.

In other words.. buy our stuff or starve. And you know some sick bastard would love this technology to cross pollinate with ALL food crops and then you can only grow food with that "special" chemical or new seeds controlled by these corporations or governments.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Great - thanks for the info and links. Will go for organics then....

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Sometimes they are called heirloom seeds too, which is a bit confusing, but be very careful who you buy from on line...I've had a couple of bad experiences with stuff that just never shows up in the first place.

Happy gardening!

Cait

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
When it comes to this link I provided in my first post,I live in the same city as they do so if verification is needed I can do the foot work.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
If you are going to even try and grow a garden put it in a green house and keep it closed up tight on windy days. The GMO is air born and cross contaminating crops that arent even GMO.
Also Monsato corp owns the rights to all seeds now; so if you can get the ones that arent GMO stock up.They have sold the GMO section off to ely lilly (sp?) to try and hide it becaue other countries are mad as he** that they have been duped over this.( Answers some of the questions as to why they made a seed vault in the first place now doesnt it.)
For anyone reading this if you can get ahold of organics that arent contaminated and grow them do so! all of the scientific studies are saying that there is going to be a worldwide famine by summer of 2009 over this GMO pop reduction scheme. They claim to not have known it was going to do this, which is BS... if you look at the white papers of the scientists who worked on this project. NOT ONE of them on the teams is outside of the "humans are a plague and need to be wiped out" mental sickness.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
LOL.... I say we start with them and the executives that allowed it to happen.

top topics

join