It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how do you love someone you fear???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
ok let me get this strait...

God wants us to love him right???

yes...

then why in those virtues (cardinal etc) it says to fear the Lord???

how can you love someone you fear???

cant be done...

if your scared of the dark, for example, how can you love the dark???

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
how do you love someone you fear???

Easy. You Dont. Next question.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
By fear its more of a respect thing, you don't go around being immoral and evil. Its not like a abusive alcolic stepdad kinda thing.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
By fear its more of a respect thing

He didnt say Respect he said fear. I couldnt love someone I fear but I could love someone I respected.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
From now on post in here, it fits you well. Thanks

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I'm no priest just giving my own interpretation, probaly get branded a Satanist by Southern Baptist for that.....

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm not an intellectual giant,but the way I can explain this to you is the following:

A fisherman makes his entire living, off the sea. In other words his entire life is centred around the sea in one way or the other.

And most fisherman love the sea, BUT all of them respect it. The know how powerful it is and would not knowingly mess with it.

That "fear" and yet love a fisherman has for the sea is the kind of "fear" that the bible is talking about.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'll get this out of the way quick, I don't believe in God.

Right, to the point at hand, the bible constantly contradicts itself so I wouldn't sweat it. However, in it's defense I've loved some of the women I've been with that I also very much feared.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
In Hebrew, yirah (Jon 1:16, Ps 90:11), yare (above, Mal 3:16) and pachad (Job 3:25a, Ps 119:120) mean reverent fear, terror, or dread, normally translated simply fear. There are other words in Hebrew for mere respect, reverence, or honor, such as kabad (Ex 20:12). In Greek fear/terror is phobo (Mat 28:4,1 Pet 2:17c), where reverence or honor is timao (1 Pet 2:17a/d).
www.acts17-11.com...

This Fear of the Lord is not a negative thing, simply an ever present reminder that while we are forgiven through the blood of Jesus, we are still accountable before God for our actions. In other words, the blood of Jesus is not a license to do as we please. Would you live your live differently if you had to give the Father a complete accounting for your work at the end of each day?
www.feargod.com...

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by Pisky]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
You forgot to close off that italic tag somewhere there bud.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
I'll get this out of the way quick, I don't believe in God.

Right, to the point at hand, the bible constantly contradicts itself so I wouldn't sweat it. However, in it's defense I've loved some of the women I've been with that I also very much feared.

There's no one as blind as those who do not want to see.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
You forgot to close off that italic tag somewhere there bud.

Thanks ... fixed now

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Good question they see All ... God says the fear of the lord is the beginning of wisdom. I'd say hanging the threat of HELL over people is a really good way to get people to fear God don't ya think?! Which brings me to another question, It also states in the Bible (kjv) etc. That Fear is a SIN ... so WTF??!

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpusDei
There's no one as blind as those who do not want to see.

haha! Too very true, you might want to take your own advice.

Trust me, I do not dismiss things lightly and to dismiss someone who as blind that does not share your beliefs is being very blind indeed.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Yes you can fear and love somthing at the same time. I don't know thought that up. Plenty of people fear their dad and mom, and yet love them. It's not that hard to understand. You can fear a pet lion and yet love him. I can't see why others can't understand that.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Since our translation from Hebrew & greek to English makes it difficult to understand the real meaning of the words alot of people are misunderstanding.

Do not take fear for our dictionary terms it means to respect ..

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
You love to be in the presence of a person,
But fear to be away from them.

You love what you gain,
But fear what you may lose.

Two sides of the same coin.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Revere God, not fear as in being afraid of...
I checked it out in the Strongs dictionary.

No one who knows God is afraid of Him, they revere, respect, and are in awe of Him.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Its why Christians often refer to God as the Father, if you make him mad, you get a spanking. If you view it in that respect, its not fear, its knowing there is a consiquence to an action. IMO.

top topics

join