It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hating on the Police...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I've noticed something very disturbing lately.

The police as a whole have been called pigs, compared to Nazis, accused of corruption, and threatened in recent threads. And that doesn't even scratch the surface of the many multi-starred, hate-the-pigs posts I have read since I came to ATS.

I'm disgusted, sickened really. You people are so quick to hate on authority that you fail to recognize the reality; that like EVERY organization known to man, there are bad apples within the police force.

Men and women of the police force join up for many different reasons, some of them good, some bad. Reminds me of the armed forces, except no one hates on soldiers... They live to serve us after all...

But when the police are mentioned, out fly the "pigs!" and "nazis!" and worse. The police take crap from everyone and still manage to keep us relatively safe.

But of course no one thinks of that when they get a speeding ticket...
Bitterness at its finest.

And, by the way, would you rather be tazered or maced? I, for one, would MUCH rather be tazered. I've suffered some pretty nasty electrocutions, and like anyone else who has been shocked knowns, the pain stops as soon as the electricity stops. Mace stings like hell for hours.

And before mace and tazers, it was billy clubs. It's a lot easier to use excessive force with a club than with a tazer.

It seems everyone is so busy hating on authority that they see the book for its cover, which is sad really. I know many awesome cops. In no way am I saying that bad cops don't exist. They certainly do exist, but that does not give anyone a legit excuse to hate the police as a whole. If you do, you're just bitter, quite frankly.

In any case, if you feel the need to post a reply, please keep it civil and reasonable. I don't want a slugfest, I'm simply hoping that there are others on this site that can rise above a childish hatred of authority.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerOfAUTMN

I do not believe police should be demonized, that only enforces a us versus them mentality. This is a very dangerous mentality. However people should be allowed to criticize the police if they are doing something unlawful or unethical. Police officers are not saints, yes they put themselves in dangerous positions to protect others, but you know as little about them as you know about any stranger. They are not automatically good people because they wear a badge and have a gun. They also are certainly not automatically incapable of being just as dangerous and malicious as any sociopath you may cross paths with, and the ego trip a powerful job like an officer’s can give a person can be a dangerous thing as well. That is why when someone is abusing their power they should not be defended simply because of the career that gives them this power. If I hurt someone who was seemingly doing nothing wrong because I was racist or in a pissed off mood or because I’m on a power trip I would be held accountable for my actions, I should be able to say the same thing about those who wear a badge, but in many cases I honestly don't think I can. That’s not hating, that’s common sense.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Yeah, in between the raids on farms for 3rd degree misdemeanors... swat teams shooting people's (noteably the mayor of prince george cty) dogs that are running away and claiming it was defense, to gross uses of excessive force and illegal arrests/searches at both the RNC/DNC.

You know what man, here's my opinion - where are these good cops when the department backpedals and gives medals to cops who STARTED A SHOOTOUT with a korean man AT THE WRONG APARTMENT ON A NO KNOCK WARRANT?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

These cops who are not doing the right thing and saying "hey, this is wrong" and are as bad as the cops who perpetrate it.

So shut your pie hole. Until more cops step up and do what's RIGHT instead of what keeps them in their job, then this verbal abuse will only get worse. Hell, there may even come a day you wish it was only verbal insults instead of blood and bullets.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage

I do not believe police should be demonized, that only enforces a us versus them mentality. This is a very dangerous mentality.

I'm not wholly convinced that it's 'we, the public' that are actually setting-up this binary opposition though. Unfortunately, the actual existence of a policing force that is apart from - if not above - the rest of us creates that*.

When I can also walk down my town's streets wearing a stab vest, an extensible baton and a taser with the ability to stop people in the street and ask questions 'because...' and maybe even haul them down to the station, then I might actually feel less like 'them'.

*Obviously, I'm not saying that we shouldn't have a police, just that the 'us and them' mentality is unavoidable.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
There should be no hostility or animosity at all, they're people with the same oppressors. we should try and be there friends to educate them, that the NWO is using them as ponds in there global chess game.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Not to mention that the police took on this role at some point (early 90's) where they began converting local police forces into mini militias some complete with tanks the whole nine. More and more now you are seeing them wearing these all black military fatigues. This certainly does not help them out with the whole idea of them being there to protect and serve and to be the local peoples police force not the local military.

The problem is and i would venture to say that the OP has most likely been in this boat is that most people have no idea how different police will act to one set of people opposed to another. Or say to some one they have all ready deemed guilty. Some of the lengths they will go to would surprise even the naysayer.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I would make the point that you have to pick your battles. Confronting an officer on the street during the performance of his job, from his point of view, is an ignorant thing to do. Sure you may have free speech, etc but do you want to test it there. The better plan is to document the alleged offence and take it before your city / county / state government. If you are too timid to do that give it to local advocacy reporter and let them lead the charge.

If you insist on a confrontation on the street the officer and his buddies may oblige you. Having treated guests for various injuries at the local jail from time to time, it was always amazing how clumsy said guests are with all the tripping and falling they do.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerOfAUTMN
...EVERY organization known to man, there are bad apples within the police force.

That's ALOT of apples.

I actually have a family member who is a Police officer. I still have VERY VERY little respect for them though. I've seen both with my own eyes and in the media WAY too much corruption and abuse of power with police officers.
You make it sound like it is a minority, but in reality it is a majority of them.

They have WAY too much power and they know it. They abuse it.
"To protect and serve" should really be revised". "To Arrest and Abuse" maybe?
You can see some of the same abusive behavior with some of the troops over in Iraq. The internet is littered with footage of soldiers abusing innocent Iraqi civilians and taking advantage of them. It's sad to see. And it's that same mentality that makes other countries hate us.

Times have changed. Don't get me wrong though, there are some good cops out there. But they are seriously out-weighed by the bad ones.
Just giving you my opinion.

[edit on 12/6/2008 by Andre Neves]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
There are actually two issues here:

The "bad apple" argument, and the "pawn" argument.

In the bad apple argument, certain individuals (officers) exploit their own power, to affect others (citizens).

In the "pawn" argument, certain individuals (politicians) exploit their own power, to affect others (police organizations), who in turn, as a whole, affect the citizenry, as a whole.

It is true that in both cases, people are "power tripping". It is true that in both cases, the citizenry is getting screwed.

It is also true that both cases (separately and uniformly) still do not give enough reason for these "closet anarchists" to spread their immature and ignorant generalizations.

So, to you closet anarchists, I ask you the following yes or no question:
Do you honestly believe that the majority of the police men and women are malevolent?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   

I do not at all think the Police are bad or Nazi's.

Most enter the force to serve the public, unfortunately I think a lot of them then become jaded and disappointed and lose interest or forget why they joined in the first place.

I've met some nice Police officers, and a few really nasty ones who used their position to abuse people.
You have this in all realms of social employment, people are people, they are not machines and their personal views will have a say in their actions.

You get bad apples in every area of life, and the Police Force is no different.
In fact, considering their size and involvement in society, they probably handle it pretty well.

What I do have a problem with is Police Forces in association with councils abusing anti-terror laws (as we all said would happen before they came into effect!) for pathetic and needless spying.
I also have a problem with Police being given the powers to stop people for no reason and demand papers.

This is not the fault of the Police, it is the fault of those pulling their strings and employing them in ways that they shouldn't be, to do work that they have no place doing.

The Police are in existence to serve the public, not to control them.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Who are the police keeping us safe from? Ourselves? that makes no sense I dont need protection from myself I do however need protection from someone who is treated as though they are above the law. So many cops each day break the law and no one, NO ONE, does anything about it. It could be as simple as speeding, the fact is they do it they get away with it and over time they realize that nothing is really holding them back.

I mean would you steal 20 million dollars if you knew no one was watching and there was no way you could be caught.

Thats the reality is that yes they might start off with noble intentions, but they are almost always corrupted. Unless they have very very very strong morals.

And since they are corrupted and act as though they are above the law I will continue to hate the cops. Its unfair that we have to live by the rules and the minute we step outside of the law cops bring down the hammer, but when they step outside the law NOTHING is done. When the step outside of moral ethics nothing is done. Only when media attention is on corruption in the police force do things happen but they are pale and shortlived compared to the punishments civilians have to endure for the same kind of crimes.

The only thing that will make me appreciate their work is when they too are brought to justice for their crimes. Equality between civilians and the police is what would make me happy.

Andre is right "to protect and serve" is out of date their new slogan "To punish and enslave" would be much more fitting.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Most enter the force to serve the public,

I'm not so sure about that. Most of the people that I've known that have either joined the Police or have wanted to but didn't for various reasons have done so for job stability or the pension &c.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by caballero

Prime example of my point Caballero.

You are still painting all police officers with the same brush, as are several other posters on this thread.

Do you honestly think that the role of the police force is to "punish and enslave?" That's grasping my friend... Sounds a lot like you are looking for somewhere to point some frustration. But the point still stands, you are labeling the many by the actions of the few, and you have to admit to yourself that the logic there is seriously flawed.

To Merriman Weir, you might be correct there, I can't say for sure. My point is that very few join the force with intent of corruption.

To detachedindividual, I couldn't agree with you more.

To prototism, may I ask a question about your 'pawn' argument? It's a logical argument, I just wonder what greater purpose corrupt government officials might use a police force for? It wouldn't be very effective as a police state control mechanism, there just aren't that many officers, nor are they well enough armed to control the populace.

To Andre Neves, at least you admit that there are good cops. I just get the feeling that your views are somewhat tainted by personal experience. Just because the majority of cops you know are scum doesn't mean that the majority of cops are scum.

To Stillresearchn911, I have to remind you that cops aren't human. Just like anyone else, perhaps even more than anyone else, cops have to be able to judge a situation quickly and decisively. This might lead to the wrong conclusion sometimes, but it's a survival mechanism. I also ask what the uniforms the various police forces wear has to do with their duty to the people?

To Bringer, the best evidence that the NWO doesn't exist as most on this site believe it to exist, is the internet itself. There is no more powerful weapon against oppression than communication, and the internet is the greatest tool we have. My point is, it would be the first thing I would take out if I wanted to take over the world. But I digress from the topic at hand...

To rapinbatsisaltherage, very astute points and I couldn't agree more.

Thanks to all of the constructive posters. I appreciate the input.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
i have been arrested for something i haven't done. put on probation for something i haven't done and almost sentenced to jail-time for something i haven't done just because the cops (i say cops as in plural because it was a group effort of *SNIP* who screwed me over). so i hate them from personal experience.

i believe all cops are corrupt *SNIP*.

www.prisonexp.org...

read about this experiment. cops were normal people before the uniform now they are *SNIP*. read the experiment and see how normal people turn into brutal sadistic bastards as soon as they get the authority to do it.

Mod Edit: No Profanity please Thanks

[edit on 12/6/08 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

To quote Kat Williams: "Haters gonna hate!"

I think there is a bit of mystery with the police because of what power people think they weild. And I saw "think" because ask your local officer how much power he really has (if you know him well) and he'll laugh. It's not like you think... Give me a badge and a gun and I'm good to go... These poor officers are sometimes marred in more red tape than we could imagine.

Plus... What more threat do you need then one that rolls around in a white car with that big light bar on the roof.

It's probobly because they are so previlently seen.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Most cops today are totally different than in the old days. Now they see us as the enemy...and we had damned well better treat them the same if we want to survive.

*Police officers* today do NOT care one bit about the intent and letter of the law...just how to get around it and abuse it to make arrests...at any cost. A cop today will lie, scream, threaten, bluff and use false dog alerts just so they can force a search. On the streets every day thug pigs are asking american citizens to GIVE UP their precious Constitutional rights...which should be illegal in itself...so they can search and maybe find a joint and ruin someones life. They get a kick out of that.

the ends justifies the means, every time, for a *Police officers*it does not bother them that they lie..and harrass, and pressure people..all so they can get a search and maybe, just maybe..find some petty contraband. big deal. That really makes us all safer, doesn't it? Makes a decent person want to retch. Thug *Police officers*blustering and bullying...all for an odds game. BUT, we have the ability to thwart them!!

All we have to do is take a stand! just say NO! Every time. Never, ever give CONSENT for a seaqrch. NEVER. if a lying thug *Police officers* asks for something, he has NO RIGHT to it!! plain and simple. Never give in. Do NOT answer any questions at all. Never explain WHY you are standing firm.
You owe the cops NOTHING!! We owe them NOTHING!! We never have to explain anything to them. Never even get started talking to the filth.

When a thug, *Police officer* says" Where are you going today?", he is setting you up to answer more and more questions. do NOT do it. IGNORE all questions. Give your papers and ID and shut up. The cops have ZERO right to know where you have been or where you are going. It is NOT their business. thats why they ask, to get you used to responding. Do not play the game. treat them like the lower life forms they are and let them know that a formal complaint and a federal civil rights lawsuit will be in the future of any thug *Police officers* that crosses the line.

Cops ONLY respect, and fear, the consequences of their nefarious actions..they fear video tape above all, because they cannot lie...or not as much at least, as otherwise. Film them when you can and record all they say. never give in. Some day they will get some respect and actually FEAR us...thats what we want. If a cop is afraid to mess with us, they will do their jobs and leave us alone like they should.

Get in their faces if they croos the line....and sue them is they go too far. Damn the *Police officers*!!

Mod Edit. Replaced offensive term.

[edit on 12/6/08 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I think you are confusing people reporting what is happening out there - which is the truth regarding "some" police officals and situations that have been happening.

I have not seen derogatory remarks about the police at all. Yes - there are cases (seems like more recently) where the police have overstepped some bounds.

But I can tell you overall - I respect the police - my nine year old daughter collects "police badges" - junior ones. I have raised her to respect and honor policemen/women. She will go up and talk to them all the time, as well as I do too. In fact I have fun with the police - joking with them and walking up and talking to them all the time - whenever I see them.

In fact - I want to say - some police people in Georgia and elsewhere have been amazed at my daughter coming up and talking to them, they have given her - "real" police hats - little metal badges - "real" police patches etc. She has an amazing and large (over 100 police items) collection. They say, either people are afraid of them or there is no respect for them.

Let me ask ........How many people reading this right now - have gone up to a police person to "thank them" for the job they do or even talk to them, for the fun of it?

When people report on police abuses, that is not putting the police down - right now - it is the system that seems to be breaking down. The police do what they are told - though you have to admit - many have been going overboard and those lose their job (hopefully)

But police are like any other group - you have Good ones and then there are Bad ones. We hear about the bad ones - obviously.

I think the police on a whole are good people - but....that does not mean, there aren't some "bad" people behind them - having them do things that are against the constitution and taking us more and more into a seemingly police state.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by questioningall]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Thank you for your constructive comments and attitude. I truly appreciate it.

To eyewitness86 and N. Tesla, I am appalled at your blatant embrace of ignorance.

There is ZERO logic or reason in painting an entire group by the same brush, just as there is no logic or reason in racism, and I plan to treat you the same as I would treat a racist.

I will not even bother to dignify your responses with a rebuttal.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by SeekerOfAUTMN]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm a Criminal Justice Major and spend time with the local Police Department on a semi-regular basis. I don't see this deep web of corruption or Nazi-like policies. I see men and women doing their jobs.

Sure a few are bad, but you'll have that anywhere. Of course, people are so quick to judge and throw out hurtful slurs they tend to overlook the good and focus solely on the bad.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Im painting them with the only brush they gave me. Face it people in power corrupt!

It happens all the time, throughout human history power has corrupted over and over and over again. Why now would it be ANY different?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join