It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Childrens Letters To Santa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I don't want this to turn into a doom'n'gloom thread, I just want to make people aware that there are still good things that you can do for families and children who are asking Santa for necessities. I try to volunteer every year weather it be for Thanksgiving or Christmas. This year I had to work thanksgiving, my mother made me a plate and I ended up giving it to a homeless man sitting on the side of a street.
I know that a lot of people will not help out this year. I don't know how to explain it, but when you see a stranger in need smile because of something you did, its the best feeling in the world. especially when its a child....

One minute of help will last a lifetime!

Here is the story:

BOSTON -- Santa letters have started to flow into post offices, but postal workers say the letters aren't so cheerful this holiday season. And it's not just the children writing them.

Postal workers in Boston, MA say they are seeing an increase in letters to Santa from more and more families in need.

With the economy on a downward turn and job losses at an all time high, kids are asking for winter coats, clothes, shoes, food and even a request for jobs.

Terry Dacey is at "Santa Helper" at a Boston post office. She says there seems to be a reversal of rose between the parent and the children. "The kids are asking for things for the mom and you know where the mom should be purchasing things for children," says Dacey.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Me and my family volunteer at the local food bank and this year me and the mrs are going to be the Mr and Mrs Santa at the local library on the 24th handing out donated gifts to needy children and families.

We do this kind of thing each year. And it sure does feel good afterwards.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It really is so worthwhile doing things like this,

At Xmas i become an elf to sick children, Its where one person per child is seleted at Xmas to send a very sick child a little presant or a card ect

Its called postpals in the UK if anyone is interested in looking it up,

Doing good is very good for the heart and really makes you see the good in human nature, With so much gloom around its good to see,

Its very sad to read about such storys where children are asking for warm clothes instead of toys, Times are hard for many people and i just wish more people who had something could get together and give,

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Even sadder is that the economy being what it is right now, donations to food banks and toy drives, and even the Salvation Army are way down.
I have often said that it made more sense to me to give children needed items at Christmas, versus toys.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Its a shame there could not be some sort of dontation center set up where people could bring such things, Clothes,toys,tins of food.. then the familys could go and take what they need,

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Its a shame there could not be some sort of dontation center set up where people could bring such things, Clothes,toys,tins of food.. then the familys could go and take what they need,

There is a church here that takes donations and gives out winter clothing, and blankets at no charge. Our food bank is struggling though, and all the local schools are trying to help out.
The bonus for my city, is we have the "SANTA FUND".
Families in need apply based on income, to a foundation run entirely by volunteers and based on donations within the community.
Each family receives a large box of food, complete with everything to make Christmas dinner, and stock the pantry for a few days.
Each child under 16 receives a gift + stocking stuffers, and a gift certificate for clothing ($30.00) at a local dept. store. Families also get grocery store coupons for perishable foods like Milk.
There are about 750 families in my area that benefit from this, and many volunteers all join in at the Army base to assemble the baskets, wrap presents, and do deliveries the day before Christmas.
The Christmas spirit fills the air on that day.
www.santafund.ca...

top topics

join