It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals urge Nader to end presidential bid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Ralph Nader is again running for president. I could almost vote for the guy. At least I think he actuall believes what he says. And, although I don't agree with him, I respect him.

I can see why the dems want him to quit, it can only hurt Kerry's chances:

"Associated Press
Originally published April 3, 2004
WASHINGTON - Prominent liberals are pleading with third-party candidate Ralph Nader to abandon his "quixotic and destructive" presidential bid, warning that his presence in the race could ensure the re-election of President Bush.

Fifteen progressive and liberal activists, including leaders of Americans for Democratic Action and Council for a Livable World, sent a letter to Nader on Thursday praising his work as consumer advocate but arguing that he cost Democrat Al Gore the 2000 election.

Nader's percentage of support in Florida and New Hampshire, if it had gone to Gore, would have secured those states and the presidency for the Democrat.

"You have done great things in your career as a consumer advocate and we applaud your work, but your presidential race in 2000 led to the most destructive administration we can remember in our 200-plus collective years of progressive advocacy," the letter said. "

here's the full story

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Nader has the right to run if he wants to. The Dems can go f**k off for all I care. Although I see why they would want Nader out.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
If Al Gore had been the great leader the democrats made him out to be, Nader wouldn't have meant a damm. They lost, and will loose again because the only voters they apeal to are left leaning hardcore democrats or bush haters. The same goes for the republicans, each party panders to its base instead of reaching out to everyone. Neither party has a clear madate to lead, niether party can claim to speak for the American people. They can't win on the issues, so they just attack eachother and hope for every vote they can get through fear, and control of the system. Untill they get that not everyone has to fall along party lines on every damm issue like they do, both parties will continue to divide this nation.

We need independent voices, and more choices, I don't agree with Nader on many things but at least he the balls to stand up and show people there can be another way.

[Edited on 3-4-2004 by TheEXone]

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
We have been split so badly down the middle by divide and conquer mentality of both parties that a marginal candidate like Ralph Nader can make a difference in a presidential election. Witness Ross Perot in 92" he was able to dilute the right wing vote enough to swing the election in favor of Clinton. This time it seems the left has a problem with its most left wing that may vote for candidates like Nader or Kucinich that appeal to their core belief. This is something the democrats will have to deal with if they are going to get that 10-% of swing voters that really decide an election.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
But, aha, Nader claims he's gonna help the dems!!!

"Nader says this time he'll help Democrats
Consumer activist says 2000 race has left him ostracized in Washington

Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON--When Ralph Nader is amused about something, a crooked smirk creases his somber face, the shoulders beneath the pin-striped suit start to quiver, and the abrupt, shrill laugh that escapes his mouth can best be described as a strangulated giggle."

Oh, I love this part:

"As for the widely held theory, among Democrats, that his 2000 candidacy took votes from Al Gore and put George W. Bush in the White House and that now he seems poised to do it again ... well, Nader thinks that's downright hysterical.

"Oh, the whining!" he declared, after his mirth turned to husky disdain. "The endless whining! The liberals are always whining! You know, scapegoating me is a sign of a decadent party, a party that whines instead of going to work."

....Nader spurned their plea, and said at the cafe: "This liberal attitude of 'Anybody but Bush,' that's like a virus. ... They say to me: 'Ralph, you've done great things, but don't run again, you're going to hurt your legacy if there's another four years of Bush' -- the sheer hubris of that! They're telling me not to exercise my right of free speech!"

www.charleston.net...

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

new topics

top topics

join