It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swat Team conducts food raid in rural Ohio

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This may have been the incident that triggered everything:

“….The issue appears to be the discovery of a bit of non-institutional beef in an Oberlin College food service freezer a year ago that was tracked down by a county sanitation official to Manna Storehouse. Oberlin College’s student food coop is widely known for its strident ideological stance about eating organic foods. It seems that the Oberlin student food cooperative had joined the Manna Storehouse food cooperative in order to buy organic foods in bulk from the national organic food distributor United, which services buying clubs across the nation. The sanitation official, James Boddy, evidently contacted the Ohio Department of Agriculture. After the first contact by state ODA officials, Manna Storehouse reportedly wrote them a letter requesting assistance and guidelines for complying with the law. This letter was never answered. Rather, the ODA agent tried several times to infiltrate the coop, as described above. When his attempts failed, the SWAT team showed up!

steveandpaularunyan.blogspot.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Were they also selling any tobacco or alcohol? Just curious.

I think eventually we'll be buying all of our food products from China, aren't they already selling us some (tainted) food products?

This wouldn't be such a bad thing if you can get used to the taste of melamine, and lead.

What strange times we live in. Our food comes from a communist country who suppress basic human rights among their own people.

Was the US sold to China without us ever realizing it?

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Electro38]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Dang, this is ridiculous.

When people are committing some licensing/health and safety infraction here, it's just a couple of inspectors come round from the local government, and issue warnings or fines or the like. Never do they use SWAT teams.

This kind of crazy misuse of power reminds me of a story I saw today from UK newspapers. The government has been misusing the anti-terror laws like crazy, and this time they were using them to spy on paperboys.

Here's a little quote from Bob Dylan, Union Sundown.

"They used to grow food in Kansas
Now they want to grow it on the moon and eat it raw.
I can see the day coming when even your home garden
Is gonna be against the law."

Sadly, I think Bob was right.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
They don't want us eating for cheap\free or eating real non GMO food.. If they did not get arrested...then this was totally illegal and they should sue however ordered the raid.. The land of the Free this is not....

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
A few observations, assuming we're dealing with a truthful story, and assuming there were no unpublished suspicions held by the government that the co-op was involved in some other, non-FDA related criminal activity:

1. First off, it goes without saying: Follow the money. If there is a simple explanation related to corporatized agriculture feeling their profits may be threatened in some way by smaller producers, it seems to me that would be a good place to start.

2. Secondly, and it's been alluded to in previous posts: The government is accelerating their power grab. Whether it's NWO, Bilderbergers, alien mind control, or whatever your theory....it's quite possible that this is part of a strategic, long-term plan for complete control over food production and distribution.

It's plausible that this operation was designed to make an example of the people in this co-op. By using terrorist tactics, they're sending out a strong message to anyone who might be involved in any kind of alternative food production or delivery. A miniature Kristallnacht against farmers.

3. Thirdly, as for the 'shock-and-awe' execution of the operation... As I'm sure many of you know, the actual people kicking in the doors generally only know what they're told by their quisling bosses -- who are, in turn, being directed by corrupt politicians and/or corporate interests higher up the chain of command.

For example, the SWAT team may have been told that the co-op might also be running a Meth lab in addition to their food business. They may have been told, "Look, this is an 'organized' group of people who are clearly and knowingly breaking the law. With this kind of organization, we should expect that they will be ready to deal with any kind of attack. So we should be prepared for the potential of small arms fire, up to and including semi-automatic 'assault' rifles......." They can tell the cops anything inflammatory about the co-op and they'd likely believe it.

There are plenty of other interpretations of the government's actions, but these seem the most obvious to me.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by fragmatic]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

The point is this is a credible news site, yes it's the same article but they post freelance work: only after it's been checked for it's credibilty; states this in the company page. This site is also affiliated with MSNbc, so this would be your clean link to the MSM.

Now I do agree that this isn't the same as being put on the actual MSN site, because I did a news search and couldn't find a link anywhere... not even to the affiliated site; at stated per. that website's company page. Honestly if this is the Government it is exteremely coniving BUT if this family was truely practicing outside of a legal business, such as high mass no tax food stands; the IRS along with the local state governments are going to crack down on anyone and everyone at this time. The United States needs to come up with alot of Dollars so how better to do so then tightening your Tax system; I've never seen any news article worth while about someone being AUDITED.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Lokey13]

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Lokey13]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Presumably Manna Storehouse might eventually be charged with running a retail establishment without a license.

Land of the free, huh.

Yeah right, as long as the government gives you permission...rotten bastards!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I don't have anything to say about this topic..... in the sense of the swat raid (I don't buy it) but this did get me to thinking about farmers and the credit crisis.

Farmers around here do rely heavily on banks to get the crop in the ground to cover the inputs. You could have input bills over 1 million dollars and that won't cover getting the crop OFF the field, just on.

That isn't for a massive farm either.

And machinery is not cheap either. A new combine can now run over 300 thousand with large tractors not far behind.

This could really hammer some farmers.

Never thought about this......

As for the swat team, sounds pretty exaggerated. If a swat team comes to my farm they better bring a good vehicle because I am not pulling them out if they get stuck. Or giving them directions.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
From what I understand about search warrants there is no reading of rights as they are searching for evidence, not making an arrest. All that is required is to show you the warrant and they can do whatever they choose once they are in the home or area to be searched.

My mother is LDS and stores food, she has had a years supply of food for many years now. She has always been worried about the govt. ceasing her food in the name of disaster. Many of that religion are concerned that what they view as a commandment from their prophets will be soon considered hoarding.

The LDS storehouses get their food from Deseret Industries. All legal and inspected, it is a huge church industry.

These are very disturbing times and things are sure to get worse. My fear is what is going to happen to people like me that are unable to work and survive on Social Security Disability. I barely make it month to month. I have purchased several large bags of rice, beans, and canned food, but that would likely only last a short while. If I had not chosen to stay home and raise my children I would have had more time in the system and be able to live on more than $700 a month. Shame on me for putting my children first and not preparing for a divorce.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by fragmatic

Yes! Very well stated!
The large agri-corps like Monsanto are trying very hard to make sure that we only have their products available to us to eat. To them, natural food growers and sellers are the enemy. As always, the big corporations are able to tell the government and its agencies what to do. It makes great sense that they would be behind this.
To the naysayers, it says in the linked article that the people operating the co-op had asked the Ohio department of agriculture for directions on what they had to do to be in compliance with the regulations but were never given an answer.
Its not like they didn't try.
We are at a crossroads. We can fight this trend towards becoming a fascist state/world now, or forever be enslaved.
If we do nothing, it will only get worse.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

As for the aggression used, I believe every raid is handled in the same way. Its protocol. It does not matter if they are raiding a private home with unarmed civilians, including children or not. At times it's a bit much to accept but protocol is put in place for the protection of all parties involved and to prevent collateral damage.

What could possibly have prevented them from sending a couple of regular suits up to talk to these people, in a less violent fashion? You know, person a walks up to person b and says, "what you are doing is illegal and we want to investigate this". I have doubts that this was handled properly.

You don't train weapons on children unecessarily. I would really like to find out more about this story.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I found the link below to a newspaper in Ohio. The story is a little different here...maybe a little more insight.

The Morning Journal

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
This reminds me of stories I have heard about people who have a nice place they worked hard for, out in the countryside. Think hobby horse farm/kennel/nursery, etc.. Along comes a developer who asks the owner to sell, and the owner refuses. A few weeks later, the same thing, but with a little more pressure. The owner refuses. Suddenly, there is a "raid" claiming animal abuse, health, environmental violations, etc., even though the neighbors have never seen any of this. The authorities roll up with the news cameras filming. Property is confiscated as evidence. The owner's place is raided and after thousands in legal fees, he can no longer afford to pay for or own the land. A shopping mall/apartment complex/whatever goes up on the forfeited property. It is rumored that developers love radical groups like PETA and donate fat sums to them so they can keep up their "good" work finding violations and prompting raids.

I wonder who is really backing a raid like this. It might be interesting to know if your friendly neighborhood grocers and chemical plants are making "charitable contributions."

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I still am not completely buying this story.

The newsvine link posted, is in fact owned by MSNBC, however, the story is seeded by reader/user of the site. Everyday JoeBlow. Anyone can set one up. So, this is not a legitmate source to me:

This is the person posting the story:
headinthegame.newsvine.com...

How to set up your very own blog:
www.newsvine.com...

He is (just a reader/user) seeds stuff he finds elsewhere. It does not mean that MSNBC or anyone working for them researched the story. Some person who is a reader/user of the site, started their own "page" and found the story posted on a blog, they decided to seed (link it) on their very own page there. He blogged it, people comment on it and vote for the article he seeded. No research, just linking.

I understand this is a conpsiracy site. But I find it hard to believe that no newspaper or TV station is REPORTING (not reposting the same ol' blog) this story. Even if they are not talking (which may or may not be true). I dont believe this is such a HUGE conpspiracy that the entire state of OH has been SHUSHED....including news sources, neighbor, locals in the town. The entire state has been put under a gag order?

Anyways. I still question the truthfulness of this story based on ZERO legitc news sources. A blog is not a news source IMO. And I prefer to hear both sides to a story...and seems that is impossible here.

Just my opinion.

[edit on 12/6/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well this IS a conspiracy site and I would be remiss not to remind everyone that not everyone agrees that this is much more than a 'story' for the time being - I'm sure it's veracity can't stay hidden forever.

However back to my point:

A Theory:

When the officials at the government were alerted to the infraction, their research led them to discover that the 'primary suspects' we highly religious and critical of government. This met the criteria for adopting the standard 'WACO" tactics, after all according to the DHS if their religious and they don't like the government - that makes them potential cult looneys who could have a stash of TOW missiles and grenades. They proceed with what they feel shows their intent, confiscate the terrorists' food.

Seconds after the SWAT team arrived many of them may have realized this was not the case. Enter the second 'feel good' cop team, make nice nice, "you don't want to sue us, right? We're just trying to find bad guys and we seem to have made a little mistake."

Off they go.

What do you think? Plausible?

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

We must not allow our food sources to be Globally controlled and have every bit of the food industry, farming, goods distribution etc. tied in a Globalized economy scheme else the dangers of accumulation of too much powers at the hands of very few will materialize. People can turn to animals over food shortages, and human compassion will vanish from the face of the human civilization. There is NO TURNING BACK from such a place.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

If the raid did not happen then this would be a strange hoax. What would be the purpose of hysterical people pretending that their friends had been raided. Perhaps the purpose would be to scare people into not setting up coops or trying to live off the grid. I believe this raid happened. But either way we all need to start growing our own food.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Thank you. That link does shine a little light on the situation. The family had sent away inspectors back in November, stating that they did not see themselves as being governed by laws affecting retailers. They drew their line in the sand, and in doing so effectively challenged the authorities to take the next step.
The authorities did just that, inviting the prosecutors in.
What followed was the v e r y h e a v y hand of the law. Way over-board reaction.
Completely inappropriate and uncalled for bully tactics, and a dangerous sign of things to come if not challenged now.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by wayno]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

People that sell food cheaply through a co-op cannot be allowed to go on with their nefarious deed of taking profits away from large corporate groceries.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hokay:

Reading through the comments section the author of the original post (21hours ago) posted:"(reply #12)
"Update: The entire story was BS.

I just got off the phone with the Captain in charge of the SWAT team for Lorain, Ohio Sheriff's office. This incident happened several days ago and there was no, repeat **no** SWAT team present. There was no family terrorized at gunpoint for hours.

There were four regular road deputies accompanying a representative of the Ohio Department of Agriculture in the execution fo a search warrant. Having law enforcement personnel present is routine and the warrant was executed without incident.

Actually Patrick, you have made the assumption and take the word of the family that is obviously "under the gun" alright -- probably for running an unlicensed business. If that family were mine and I was actually "terrorized", I'd have been on the phone to my lawyer and the local paper in a nanosecond..."

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join